Taormina Shore Excursion Waitlisted

sabrefan

My wife and I are taking a cruise in October departing Venice. One of the ports of call is Messina, Sicily. We had planned to go on the Taormina, Lava River and & Wine Tasting tour only to find out that we are waitlisted. Seems kind of strange that this tour  would be full 3 months in advance. In the past no problem getting the ship excursions after final payment. Oceania did say that this could open up.

There are plenty of good agencies to use on a private basis.  From Messina in November 2017 we were on a "Taormina and Castelmola" tour booked by another passenger so I'm not sure of the agency we used.  This was excellent.  We were 8 people; the cost was €310 for all.  If you want to know which agency we used this time, I can email the person who set it up.

In May 2018 we went to Mt. Etna and Taormina from Catania and we used Joe Banana's.  Another excellent tour.  The cost was €75pp.

If you look around you can find a number of recommended agencies for private tours.  You don't need to depend on ship's tours.  I understand that many people feel it's safer to use a ship's tour, but if those tours are booked solid (I understand your question about why it's sold out so far in advance) then a private tour is your best bet.

The drive from Catania was longer (i.e. Mt. Etna to Taormina) but we had plenty of time to do what we wanted.

Please feel free to write me privately if you would like more info.

Mura