Time of year and age?

Kristina2040

My mom and I are going to be going on a cruise this summer and I had a couple questions since I am the one doing all the planning. Any advice would be great but I had to specific questions.

First of how bad is the weather in the Caribbean during late August? I know it is hurricane season and for two people who never see anything but daily rain we definitely want sun but a tropical storm or two would be exciting.

Second we were thinking of taking on of Royal Carribeans Voyager Class ships since they have a ton of activites and you can ice skate. I know that sounds like a silly one but I figure skated for many years and currently am going to start coaching and saying that I skated out on a ship is important. Sorry back to the question, are the people on this cruise pretty friendly in general? I will be a newly minted 21 year old and my mom, well, willing be getting a senior discount, lol and I really want people my age to talk to.

Sorry for the length I tend to ramble. To sum things up:

1. Carribbean in late August, go or no go?

2. Any single 20 somethings out there?

;) Actually, Largin, this is the "Ask a Cruise Question" board.

Kristina, since hurricane season is June 1 - November 30, you have to remember that half the cruisers do so during hurricane season every year. It's always a chance you take whether you'll run into foul weather or not. However, on a cruise ship, the captain will take the ship out of harm's way, and you may miss a port or two, but no danger at sea.

There will be lots of people your age crusing during the summer months. Late August, schools will be starting, so maybe you won't have too many little kiddies around. There will be a 'meet and greet' (on most ships), so you'll be able to meet those around your age. h, about the weather in general - it will be HOTHOTHOT in the Caribbean in August, but nothing you can't stand because the winds are constantly blowing - wonderful. There may be some 'tropical showers', but doubtful you'll encounter any real rain storms. You might want to take those little 1" fold up ponchos in your tote bag when on shore, just in case. But five minutes after the little showers start, they're over.

Hope y'all have a wonderful cruise.

The Voyager class ships are great. Especially during the summer, but true all year round, they attract a wide range of people because they do offer so many activities. I've been on Voyager twice (I'm now in my late 20s) and had a great time each time. If you are interested in the skating, you can bring your own skates, and they will usually (but not always) have a special skating time for people with their own skates. Remember to bring long pants and socks to wear as they are required for ice skating.

Thanks for all the information. I am glad to know there is plenty of younger people. So you really think they will let me bring my skates? Mine are custom made and I don't think I could even stand up in the rentals, thats so sad, lol. Does anyone know how many sessions they ofter on a 7 night cruise? Also do they have any sessions for people that can skate like the performers in the shows? Sorry I know these are silly questions but when I get home I have to skate in a show in September, so a whole week of no skating isn't going to be good. :( But I am definitely wanting to cruise more then do the show, lol.

warm, hopefully sunny, cruise vs. 3 hour skate sessions daily at home?

CRUISE definitely wins

The number of sessions they will have for everybody to skate will depend on the week. Your Compass will indicate when the sessions will be each day. Some weeks they will have one session a day. Some weeks less - this is usually when they have new performers and need more practice sessions for the performers. As I said, they usually have extra sessions for people with their own skates (i.e. no rental skates allowed) so if you have your own definitely bring them. Most people don't bother to bring their own so the people at those sessions would most likely be people like yourself.

You might do a search to see if you can find some Compasses from the same itinerary last summer.

Archived