10 am flight in Ft Lauderdale too early?

crusinbanjo

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

If everything goes on schedule, ship arrives on time, immigration officials are on time, no problems with luggage removal,  no strange immigration problems caused by an unusual number of non-US guests onboard, lots of available taxis, no shortage of TSA officials at the FLL airport, no breakdown of computers,  then a 10 AM flight could work.   But who needs that kind of stress after a great cruise.   And who wants to have the extra expense of missing the flight and maybe spending a night in a hotel somewhere on your routing back home ?

That's a lot of "ifs!"  My last two winter cruises have been slow disembarking because of a shortage of Immigration staff at the terminal. Both times, the ship stopped calling people to disembark and announced that it was because the lines in the terminal were so long that people would have to stand for an hour. The second time, there weren't many ships in port, and still the terminal got backed up. 

On 8/6/2019 at 3:51 PM, crusinbanjo said:

Hi All 

Ms Banjo and I will be back on Veendam in October cruising from New England to Ft Lauderdale.  The ship is scheduled to arrive in FLL at 7am, it is possible to book a direct flight home that departs FLL at 10 am.  I am hoping to get some opinions on if this is too close on the time.  I know the airport is close, but I don't want to be under great stress through security, etc.

We made a 10am flight this past February with 6 ships in port and we were the last ship to dock.  We did the carry off our own luggage process and we have Global Entry that let us through the customs line with zero waiting and the TSA per-check  at the airport and we were at the Southwest gate by 9am.  It was tense but we did it.  Would be more comfortable with a flight at 11 or after.

11 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

We made a 10am flight this past February with 6 ships in port and we were the last ship to dock.  We did the carry off our own luggage process and we have Global Entry that let us through the customs line with zero waiting and the TSA per-check  at the airport and we were at the Southwest gate by 9am.  It was tense but we did it.  Would be more comfortable with a flight at 11 or after.

You were smart to do the self-disembark. I was on that cruise and you were at the Southwest gate around the time they announced they were suspending disembarkation for a while.