Reservations for complimentary restaurants?

ThxMomnDad

So I booked my reservations for my specialty dining on my upcoming cruise on the Escape, but I see that you can also book reservations for the complimentary restaurants (Manhattan room, Savor & Taste). Is it recommended to also reserve time slots at those restaurants too? Do you bypass any lines if you have reservations?

We noticed that also. I did make reservations for Manhattan Room dinner. Hoping it will allow us to bypass lines and get seated rather quickly. I think they are doing this so they can see where the trends are for dining preference and get prepared ahead of time. (always thinking the best of NCL 😉)

3 minutes ago, phissy said:

We noticed that also. I did make reservations for Manhattan Room dinner. Hoping it will allow us to bypass lines and get seated rather quickly. I think they are doing this so they can see where the trends are for dining preference and get prepared ahead of time. (always thinking the best of NCL 😉)

Yeah, I hate to lock us in to a specific time on the nights where we don't have specialty dining reservations, but if making reservations can save us from waiting in a long line, it's worth it.

With large parties (6 or more) it can make a difference.  In the MDR on the 'Away class ships they'll have your party queue up on the left side of the long corridor that leads into the restaurant.  In Savor/Taste they'll ask you to queue up on the other side of the check-in desk.  DW & I eat early (between 5-530) and by ourselves so we've never noticed much of a difference when we have made a reservation.  We've gotten to the point that we just queue up around 445 & take our chances.  

Hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

I have seldom had a long wait for a table at a complimentary dining room.   We show up when we are hungry, ask for a table for 4 or 6 or 8 and most of the time, they either seat us right away or ask us to wait while they put a table together.  On the away class ships, if there is a queue at the podium by Savor you go to the podium by Taste and there usually isn't a line.   On the smaller ships, if there is a wait, they give you a pager and you can go enjoy a cocktail while you wait.

For me, picking when I am going to want to dine on some night in November is killing my freestyle vibe.  In addition, there are some definite disadvantages to having a particular time booked every night.

I may decide today that on Tuesday 11/26/19 I want to dress up and have an early meal in the Manhattan, but when I get back on board after an all day shore excursion, I may decide to grab a quick bite at the buffet or the 24-hour pub and skip dinner entirely.  Or maybe I want to shower, nap and eat later that evening.   

Maybe we stop for a pre-dinner drink, get a great seat and a great bartender and don't want to give that up to run off for dinner at 6:15 on the dot. 

Trying to time my reservations around my shows is tricky because everytime I have pre-booked a show it changed once I got on board. 

Lastly, I don't think Norwegian does a very good job of helping you keep track of all your reservations.   It's not like it would be that hard to produce a printout at check in with all you have pre-booked (dinners, shows, etc) instead of making me check multiple systems.

So, no, I would not recommend pre-booking your complimentary restaurants.

• Like 1

You can book, so you have a reservation and quicker seating, but it can be changed too - or you can just not show up (which isn't preferred),  and do what you like on any given night.  A reservation does not hurt, but it could save a 'wait' time too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your input and insight. Fitchburg made some really good points about reasons not to reserve a time for the main dining rooms. We'll have to give this some thought. Maybe do as buddlover said and book a reservation now, but we can always change or cancel it once on board.

Thanks again folks!!

On 8/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, FitchburgWIFamily said:

Lastly, I don't think Norwegian does a very good job of helping you keep track of all your reservations.   It's not like it would be that hard to produce a printout at check in with all you have pre-booked (dinners, shows, etc) instead of making me check multiple systems.

If you download their app, all your reservations (restaurants, excursions, etc.) are in one place and easy to access.

We always make reservations and if I have to I either cancel or make a time change if available. Sometimes there is a line to get in the complimentary restaurants and with reservations you don't have to wait on line. Just let them know you have a reservation.

• Like 1