London Pass and London Explorer Pass

Hi all,

Doing London sightseeing next year. Mid to end of June. Had a few questions for the locals.

Aa first glance the London Explorer pass in particular looks good for us. But when I started comparing reservations on the actual website ( for example Madame Tussaud’s and Sea Life Aquarium  ) the sites talk about reserving a time for entry. If I buy the LEP or even the Madame Tussaud’s plus 3 attraction passes then I cannot reserve a time for entry or a date for that matter. 

How much of a problem will  this be for us? Do you suggest that we just book online  directly choosing a date and time for what is important to us and wing the rest?

I wish I read this forum before purchasing my hotel. We are near Whitechapel, but got a nonrefundable 2 bedroom, 2 bath for the 4 of us. 

So hopefully I can learn from this forum and be better informed moving forward.

TIA.

These passes always seem to have complicated rules; go to this site for a helpful review and a code to get a discount: https://clubthrifty.com/london-explorer-pass-review/

As far as I can see, holders of the pass do not need to book a time; just rock up, flash the pass and you are in. You should try to avoid the busiest times though if you can.

2 hours ago, Bob++ said:

These passes always seem to have complicated rules; go to this site for a helpful review and a code to get a discount: https://clubthrifty.com/london-explorer-pass-review/

As far as I can see, holders of the pass do not need to book a time; just rock up, flash the pass and you are in. You should try to avoid the busiest times though if you can.

Thanks! We have time with our stay.  Just didn’t think visiting London should be like Disney World with “fast track” and schedules! Ha ha

Max and Ruby ~

Whitechapel is somewhat to the east of my regular patch of London, so what I know of it these days is only what I read.  (Apparently a trendy/"buzzy" artsy/ethnic neighbourhood, rather more popular nowadays than it was back in 1888!) That said, although it looks "out of the way" on the map, you will find it easy to get into central London via the Underground from there.  For example, the Tower of London is just two stops away (on the District Line) from Whitechapel tube station.  You can get to Madame T's (virtually next door to the Baker Street tube station) directly from Aldgate or Aldgate East stations, whichever is closest to your hotel.

Sorry I can't help with any information about the London Pass; I've never used it.  I will say that whenever I walk past Madame T's, I have to push my way through the throngs of tourists that congregate in front of that establishment.  (However, I haven't been inside since 1966.)  As with the Tower, it might behoove you to get there as early as you can.

20 minutes ago, Post Captain said:

Max and Ruby ~

Whitechapel is somewhat to the east of my regular patch of London, so what I know of it these days is only what I read.  (Apparently a trendy/"buzzy" artsy/ethnic neighbourhood, rather more popular nowadays than it was back in 1888!) That said, although it looks "out of the way" on the map, you will find it easy to get into central London via the Underground from there.  For example, the Tower of London is just two stops away (on the District Line) from Whitechapel tube station.  You can get to Madame T's (virtually next door to the Baker Street tube station) directly from Aldgate or Aldgate East stations, whichever is closest to your hotel.

Sorry I can't help with any information about the London Pass; I've never used it.  I will say that whenever I walk past Madame T's, I have to push my way through the throngs of tourists that congregate in front of that establishment.  (However, I haven't been inside since 1966.)  As with the Tower, it might behoove you to get there as early as you can.

Thanks so much! Yes we are close to Aldgate East and that looks close enough to use the tube. Will be an experience for sure. 

Hubby looking to go to Tankfest 2020 at Bovington Tank Museum (yes a 2.5 hr ride 1 way on an above ground train.) Rest of us will will just take it easy back in London and try to go left when the hordes go right.😊

6 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

Thanks so much! Yes we are close to Aldgate East and that looks close enough to use the tube. Will be an experience for sure. 

Hubby looking to go to Tankfest 2020 at Bovington Tank Museum (yes a 2.5 hr ride 1 way on an above ground train.) Rest of us will will just take it easy back in London and try to go left when the hordes go right.😊

I've heard of the Bovington Tank Museum but hadn't ever given it much thought until you mentioned it, so I looked it up. Sounds like a "hubby" sort of place indeed! Next time I'm in the vicinity, I might have to persuade the First Mate (aka Mrs Post Captain) to give her hubby leave to visit it.😉

Are you staying in Southampton at all before your cruise? It's a much shorter train journey to Wool (the station for Bovington) from Southampton (just over an hour each way) than from London Waterloo.   

1 hour ago, Post Captain said:

Are you staying in Southampton at all before your cruise? It's a much shorter train journey to Wool (the station for Bovington) from Southampton (just over an hour each way) than from London Waterloo.   

No cruise. But found this forum and thought I could learn a bit about London and activities. Hubby wanted to see too much in London and area to take off work and do a 8 night cruise next summer. 

Yes it's true that you have chosen an area which isn't usually on the list of tourist hotspots and is slightly off the radar of most tourists when they come to London but that said, the area is fine and provides very easy transport links to many of the sights you will want to see as well as some which are very near and walk able. The hotel gets very decent reviews and many returning guests.

From in front of the hotel you can take the  no. 15 bus directly to the Tower of London, St Paul’s and Trafalgar Square – all door to door. It’s a good sightseeing bus.  Or you can walk to the Tower and Tower Bridge if you prefer. Make sure you see St Katharine Docks next door as its well worth a visit and the marina is very pretty. HMS Belfast on the south side of the river is well worth a visit too – very, very interesting indeed.

Whitechapel is a very ethnic area – at the top of Commercial Road if you turn right along Whitechapel High St  you will be in the Market area (mainly Bangladeshi) – it is quite an education visiting the market. Fruit and veg that will have never seen before!

Turn left towards Aldgate East tube there is the Whitechapel Art Gallery – totally free to visit. Quirky, different and well worth a look in. At Aldgate tube (not to be confused with the former) there is the beautiful church of St Botolph’s. In front of here the bus stop has links to many spots in London –100 bus to go to Wapping and the Town of Ramsgate pub which is comfortable and welcoming. Walk along the Thames footpath for marvelous views of Tower Bridge and the old wharves, now luxury flats. The 100 bus in the opposite direction will take you to the magnificent Bevis Marks Synagogue which has guided tours as well as services). Continue the same road to the Museum of London (free) and St Paul’s. Jack the Ripper tours take place from (i think )Aldgate tube.

There is a great cinema near the hotel (Curzon Aldgate) and also some good restaurants. If you like curries – the Empress in Leman Street(cheap but excellent) and Café Spice Namaste in Prescott St (dearer but excellent and well known with TV chef Cyrus Todiwala.) There is the Brown Bear Pub in Leman Street and the Princess of Prussia in Prescott St – basic Victorian. (You may have heard of Leman St from the TV Programme Ripper Street.) There is an excellent Chinese restaurant immediately next to Aldgate tube at the Dorsett Hotel, but bit pricey but great food. If you want a first class Sunday lunch we can recommend the Chamberlain in the Minories, near the Tower.

Download a bus map, a tube map and a general map of the area. Top up your Oyster cards and off you go……

1 hour ago, Morgans said:

Yes it's true that you have chosen an area which isn't usually on the list of tourist hotspots and is slightly off the radar of most tourists when they come to London but that said, the area is fine and provides very easy transport links to many of the sights you will want to see as well as some which are very near and walk able. The hotel gets very decent reviews and many returning guests.

From in front of the hotel you can take the  no. 15 bus directly to the Tower of London, St Paul’s and Trafalgar Square – all door to door. It’s a good sightseeing bus.  Or you can walk to the Tower and Tower Bridge if you prefer. Make sure you see St Katharine Docks next door as its well worth a visit and the marina is very pretty. HMS Belfast on the south side of the river is well worth a visit too – very, very interesting indeed.

Whitechapel is a very ethnic area – at the top of Commercial Road if you turn right along Whitechapel High St  you will be in the Market area (mainly Bangladeshi) – it is quite an education visiting the market. Fruit and veg that will have never seen before!

Turn left towards Aldgate East tube there is the Whitechapel Art Gallery – totally free to visit. Quirky, different and well worth a look in. At Aldgate tube (not to be confused with the former) there is the beautiful church of St Botolph’s. In front of here the bus stop has links to many spots in London –100 bus to go to Wapping and the Town of Ramsgate pub which is comfortable and welcoming. Walk along the Thames footpath for marvelous views of Tower Bridge and the old wharves, now luxury flats. The 100 bus in the opposite direction will take you to the magnificent Bevis Marks Synagogue which has guided tours as well as services). Continue the same road to the Museum of London (free) and St Paul’s. Jack the Ripper tours take place from (i think )Aldgate tube.

There is a great cinema near the hotel (Curzon Aldgate) and also some good restaurants. If you like curries – the Empress in Leman Street(cheap but excellent) and Café Spice Namaste in Prescott St (dearer but excellent and well known with TV chef Cyrus Todiwala.) There is the Brown Bear Pub in Leman Street and the Princess of Prussia in Prescott St – basic Victorian. (You may have heard of Leman St from the TV Programme Ripper Street.) There is an excellent Chinese restaurant immediately next to Aldgate tube at the Dorsett Hotel, but bit pricey but great food. If you want a first class Sunday lunch we can recommend the Chamberlain in the Minories, near the Tower.

Download a bus map, a tube map and a general map of the area. Top up your Oyster cards and off you go……

Oh wow!  This is such great information.  I will copy and paste in my travel notes. :-)

1 more question- is the area safe to walk around especially in the evening (think no later than 11 pm) (23:00)?  Some of the research I saw online stated that north and east of this area isn't the best, but west was better.  Part of the length of our stay is also to just wander and explore.

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

Oh wow!  This is such great information.  I will copy and paste in my travel notes. :-)

1 more question- is the area safe to walk around especially in the evening (think no later than 11 pm) (23:00)?  Some of the research I saw online stated that north and east of this area isn't the best, but west was better.  Part of the length of our stay is also to just wander and explore.

Thanks!

As a general rule yes west is generally nicer but don't stress about it as there won't be any reason to go any further east as there is nothing interesting to see in that area. You'll be tired after all the sightseeing so I agree you probably will want to be back before it gets too late - taxis are easily available should you wish to use them in the evening to return to the hotel.   That said there are always people around- it won't be deserted even late.

39 minutes ago, Morgans said:

As a general rule yes west is generally nicer but don't stress about it as there won't be any reason to go any further east as there is nothing interesting to see in that area. You'll be tired after all the sightseeing so I agree you probably will want to be back before it gets too late - taxis are easily available should you wish to use them in the evening to return to the hotel.   That said there are always people around- it won't be deserted even late.

Fabulous!  Many thanks for your tips!

We considered buying one of the passes for our trip last year, but ultimately decided not to. I'd read several reviews stating that lines were still long, especially in the summer months. For example, at Westminster Abbey, London Pass holders can skip the line to purchase a ticket, but still have to wait in the entrance line. We purchased our tickets online, saved a few pounds, and were able to enter the cathedral directly after security with no waiting. We also were not going to need it on consecutive days, as we had a day trip to Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) and a day where we were seeing both parts of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which was going to take up the majority of the day. 

My suggestion would be to think about the places you will use it for, then check the entry specifics of those places, and compare the entry fees for each to the total cost of the pass. 

I wrote a long post about our trip if you want to get itinerary ideas: 

1 hour ago, cft8 said:

We considered buying one of the passes for our trip last year, but ultimately decided not to. I'd read several reviews stating that lines were still long, especially in the summer months. For example, at Westminster Abbey, London Pass holders can skip the line to purchase a ticket, but still have to wait in the entrance line. We purchased our tickets online, saved a few pounds, and were able to enter the cathedral directly after security with no waiting. We also were not going to need it on consecutive days, as we had a day trip to Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) and a day where we were seeing both parts of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which was going to take up the majority of the day. 

My suggestion would be to think about the places you will use it for, then check the entry specifics of those places, and compare the entry fees for each to the total cost of the pass. 

I wrote a long post about our trip if you want to get itinerary ideas: 

Thanks cft8.  I think we are leaning towards buying online directly using "family" savings for must dos.  Pick our date and time.  We might get the London Explorer Pass  for other things.  They way the tours/other plans are lining up (to Leeds castle , Stonehenge and Bovington Tank Museum as well as  WB studios.)  we will not have consecutive days lined up. 3 day or 6 day are most probable for us.   Right now there's a 110 Pound difference between the 3 and 6 day pass.  You definitely save money using the London Pass/Explorer Pass, but will I save time?  Probably not and time is money too! :-)