Making a Choice Between Apples (QM2) and Oranges (Golden Princess)

sfvoyager

I have asked comparative questions in the past on this board and received some truly thoughtful assistance. I appreciate your indulgence in yet another question as my circumstances have changed.

I originally thought I would be able to travel in September, but now must go in May. The occasion is my mom's 80th Birthday. She is in good health and mobile, and is fairly active. She enjoys dining and comfort and fun. I love pampering her, although she is not necessarily one for pretentious atmospheres. She is well travelled, and loves lively but not boisterous gatherings. I feel that while she is in fairly good shape, that this may be the last opportunity for an international trip of this length. Future trips would probably be more limited to within the U.S.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I figured this would help in answering my question. I want to surprise her with a cruise in the Mediterranean and narrowed it down to two. One is the Golden Princess which starts with a Transatlantic Voyage from New York and winds up in Venice. The other is on the QM2 doing a round trip from Southhampton.

In Europe, the itinerary is about the same with stops in Portugal, Spain, Italy and France. I would either do a Junior Suite (Princess Grill) on QM2 or a Full Suite (same approximate cost) on the Golden Princess.

I fully realize the surroundings on the QM2 are more grand as well as the cuisine in the Grill, but the component of the transatlantic voyage with sea days to kick things off on the Golden Princess is tempting. Their suite perks include free dry cleaning and priority tendering.

What to do? I am truly on the fence as I would love to experience Cunard for the first time, but prefer the itinerary and the larger accommodations on the Golden Princess.

For those of you with similar experiences with both products, I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback!

Thank you for your time.

Hi, I'm currently your neighbor to the north, I'm in Tiburon! :D That aside, I understand your dilemma. My parents are now in their upper 70s and since my husband and I have no children we often invite them to travel with us. As you noted, since they are getting older, longer trips, especially those overseas are coming to a close. However, we do hope to get them to Italy in 2007, our fingers crossed.

I haven't sailed on Queen Mary 2 but, one of my close friends is a travel agent and, I was fortunate enough to accompany her on a ship inspection of the Queen Mary 2 while it was in New York in 2005. I fell in love with this ship - we're booked on the September, 2006 Labor Day weekend sailing to Canada. The food they served us for lunch that day was wonderful and, I was impressed with the ship - and I enjoyed learning the difference between an ocean liner such as QM2 vs a cruise ship such as the Golden Princess. We have sailed Princess many times and, it rates tops for us in the mass market cruise lines.

If it were me, I'd opt for the QM2 - like I said we love Princess but, sailing on Queen Mary 2...well, it's just something everyone should do once. Since I was only on during a ship inspection, I cannot comment on the type of fellow passengers to expect, but, I'm expecting well rounded, well traveled fellow passengers for our cruise in September. If this "trial" cruise goes well for us, we will be booking QM2 for a transatlantic in 2007.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your decision.

Hi SanFran Bay Cruiser,

Wow! What a cooincidence. I just returned from the Tiburon Playhouse with my mom and my partner. We just watched "The Producers". As we were driving accross the Golden Gate Bridge, we noticed the Dawn Princess was docked in Pier 35.

The response has been overwhelmingly in favor of trying out the QM2- even on the Princess thread! I loved my experiences on Princess, but am now convinced this would be the cruise to try.

I think it is great you are going for a trip to Italy. I am sure it will happen for you and it will be a wonderful experience.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

For those of you with similar experiences with both products, I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback!.

SFVoyager,

Looks like you have already decided in favour of QM2 - for which I say - well done! I have sailed on both (Golden Princess Junior suite, QM2 Balcony cabin) and while the Golden Princess suite was bigger, the fit & finish was not as good. And despite the QM2 being the larger ship, the distances never seemed as vast as on the Golden Princess - part of that is down to layout, with the bar/library/theatre forward on the QM2, while all thats aft on Golden - so if you had a forward suite, as I did, it feels like you walk miles to get anywhere. Food & beverage on QM2 is better also, the only area where Golden is better is in pools up top - but how much use you will make of these in Europe in May is debatable. One final point - the Golden Princess is no where near as good a sea boat as the QM2 - on my Transatlantic crossing on her she shuddered in the mildest of swells, so a May Transtalantic might be more interesting than you would wish for!

Peter

Been on both ...and both are great! But, as other CC members have said, it is really special to cruise on QM2! Part of it is the history, part of it is the look..and part of it is just so "I did that, because it is on my list of things to do"....Either way, please do enjoy this cruise with your Mom! I did one in late 2001 with my Mom, and by June 2002 she was (and is) cruising with her angels! Don't let a minute go by without loving those you love! LuAnn

Thank You LuAnn,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your own mom. I whole heartedly agree it is important to make the most of the time with your loved ones, and I want to squeeze every possible moment we can.

I appreciate how important it must have been to get the chance you did to go on that trip in 2001. And doing it in the best possible way seems fitting.

Thanks again!

What to do? I am truly on the fence as I would love to experience Cunard for the first time, but prefer the itinerary and the larger accommodations on the Golden Princess.

Go for the QM2! Yes for the same money you can get a larger suite on the Golden Princess. But, and its a very big but, the Golden Princess carries virtually as many passengers as the QM2 (2,600 / 2,620) but is "only" 109,000 tons displacement, as against over 151,000 tons. Very simply, just look how much extra space per passenger you get on the QM2. Even during days at sea, we never found the QM2 felt crowded (except at peak eating times in the buffet sections) and often had complete areas to ourselves. Also, would you really want to sail on a ship known to the locals at various ports she frequents, as the "shopping trolley"? The Golden Princess and her sister ships may be superb, but they are so ugly from the stern, with their square shape and the trolley "handle"! :)

Of course, it's not in the original differential, but have you considered the Seabourn Yachts? Superb suites, service, food, ambiance, shore excursions and only 206 passengers. It's all inclusive and if one does the math, quite similar to other lines where one signs for everything and is 'nickled and dimed' to death. Also, it's a lively mix of cruisers. Something for everyone.

Sfvoyager, we were able to experience both the apples (QM2) and oranges (well, oranges' sister, the Star Princess) last Spring.

Last May we traveled from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen on the Star Princess, returning to New York on QM2 out of Southampton.

Service: Although fine on QM2, better on Star. An example is the room steward. On Star he seemed ever-present, even opened our door once when our arms were too full. He seemed to tidy up every time we went out. On QM2 he got the job done well and nothing more, there was no evidence of much tidying or any presence other than 1st-thing in the morning and turn-down at night.

Food: A little better on QM2 in Britannia restaurant, no complaint from us on either ship. I assume you can notch up the quality accordingly in P Grill. (Of course, cuisine was notched into the stratosphere on our recent QE2 crossing, but that's a different story)

Handling the Atlantic: I am but a novice to maritime appreciation, but even I could see that QM2 excels in comparison. It's as if she longs for the heavy swell; whereas the Star seemed to adapt and cope with some slightly rough weather we did hit, on the return crossing we got into some rougher seas, and the QM2 rode them in magnificently royal style.

The greatest aspect of your voyage - IMO - is the appreciation of the time with your mother. Although I personally and selfishly hope you choose QM2 so you might post your experience of the differences, it's great that you are going on either one!

One last thought: For an atlantic crossing, the QM2 is one of a kind...for a transatlantic, why not travel on a ship specifically built for the job.

Hope this helps,

Tom

What a beautifully written comparison! I booked the QM2 yesterday, and can't be more excited. Alas, the voyage I have booked is not crossing the Atlantic, but instead will be for the Mediterranean. Transatlantic on the QM2 will have to be for another surprise.

Thank you for your kind thoughts about time spent with my mom. That surely is the most important aspect of our event.

I sailed on the Dawn Princess at the time the Star Princess was making it's debut. I loved the Dawn, and know I would love the Star as well.

I will definitely post my experience on the QM2 upon our return.

Archived