Comparing Apples (QM2) with Oranges (Golden Princess) in the Mediterranean

sfvoyager

I have asked comparative questions in the past on this board and received some truly thoughtful assistance. I appreciate your indulgence in yet another question as my circumstances have changed.

I originally thought I would be able to travel in September, but now must go in May. The occasion is my mom's 80th Birthday. She is in good health and mobile, and is fairly active. She enjoys dining and comfort and fun. I love pampering her, although she is not necessarily one for pretentious atmospheres. She is well travelled, and loves lively but not boisterous gatherings. I feel that while she is in fairly good shape, that this may be the last opportunity for an international trip of this length. Future trips would probably be more limited to within the U.S.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I figured this would help in answering my question. I want to surprise her with a cruise in the Mediterranean and narrowed it down to two. One is the Golden Princess which starts with a Transatlantic Voyage from New York and winds up in Venice. The other is on the QM2 doing a round trip from Southhampton.

In Europe, the itinerary is about the same with stops in Portugal, Spain, Italy and France. I would either do a Junior Suite (Princess Grill) on QM2 or a Full Suite (same approximate cost) on the Golden Princess.

I fully realize the surroundings on the QM2 are more grand as well as the cuisine in the Grill, but the component of the transatlantic voyage with sea days to kick things off on the Golden Princess is tempting. Their suite perks include free dry cleaning and priority tendering.

What to do? I am truly on the fence as I would love to experience Cunard for the first time, but prefer the itinerary and the larger accommodations on the Golden Princess.

For those of you with similar experiences with both products, I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback!

Thank you for your time.

I have sailed on both ships. In my opinion I think she would get more of a thrill of sailing on the QM2. It is truely a once in a lifetime experience. It is much larger than the Golden and their cabins and beds are very comfortable.

The Golden is a beautiful ship, but really...it is apples and oranges..the QM2 is far superior and am sure she would be thrilled to be on the biggest cruiseship in the world. How lucky that she is in good health and able to enjoy life to its fullest. You a wonderful son or daughter, she must be very proud of you.

I am also in agreement that a QM2 trip (cruise or crossing) would be more memorable. There is a great deal to do on the ship as well as more up-scale shore excursions.

The other issue with the Golden would be your open-jaw airfare issue. You'd leave from the US and return from Europe . which tends to be a bit more expensive than just the trip to London round trip.

Now .. look into the option from Princess Grill to Queens Grill. QG gives you total ala-carte dining option plus the private space on deck 11. Both Grill levels give you Concierge lounge and 'special' shore excursion access via the lounge staff (Golden has nothing similar). The Q5 level suites are far far far better than Princess's top suites ...

For personal indulgence .. the QM2 (and soon the QV) in either Grill level are fabulous. QG just a little bit more so! Caviar every night! And the duck ala orange for several people is out of this world. They made me Shrimp Korma for my birthday and the assistant waiter was from India and took the leftovers with him and told me the next day how MUCH he enjoyed my special order!

Cusyl, Sultan and JGR01, your replies were wonderful!

Cusyl, thank you for your kind words. You set the tone for how I am now begining to resoundingly feel- QM2 it is!

It really is about making a memorable occasion.

Sultan, I never even thought about rough seas in May, and that would not be a fun thing to try and adjust to. Fortunately, the QM2 originates in Europe for this voyage.

And JGR01, I appreciate your thoughts about the suites. I wasn't sure how the extra space would stack up against a Junior Suite or Q5. Although a Q5 would be a real stretch for my budget, I will probably make up for this by avoiding the costs of an open jawed airfare.

All of these replies were outstanding feedback to make me feel very good about going ahead with QM2.

Thank you.

I also wanted to mention, it is gratifying to find people on the Princess thread with an open mind to speak highly of another line. I fully expected to only get opinions in favor of Princess, and while there were no negative comments about the Golden, you all were open to the comparison.

Interestingly, I received no replies on the Cunard Thread. Everyone seems to be engaged on the "Mutiny on the Mary" story.

While you are making your way around the very large ship, make sure you find the library. It is a beautiful space with the largest library at sea. If you will ask the librarian for the Cruise Critic Visitor's Log they will pull it out from under their desk. This book was started on the maiden voyage of the QM2 and you can sign the book and read the comments of the Cruise Critic members who have sailed before you. There is also a very nice gift shop next to the library that many people don't even know is there.

Actually, visiting the library is one of my favorite experiences on a ship, that along with strolling on the promenade and ping pong!

I am very excited about spending time in the library and saw some wonderful pictures of it.

As for the gift store, I am the one near the library will hold many temptations for me!

Unless you have your heart set on doing the trans-atlantic portion of the trip, I would opt for the QM2 trip, simply because it its the QM2. If you want the entire trip to be the same length as if you also went trans-Atlantic, I would spend a little extra time in London or the surrounding area.

For the above poster that asked about QM2 being in "classes" ....it isn't. Other than the grill dining rooms that are for the top few category cabins, everything else is availalbe to everyone.

Archived