Best months to view Iguaczu Falls

mike35

We would like to plan a cruise to include a trip to the falls. What month(s) would be best to insure the maximum flow over the falls? I would presume this would be in their spring (October or November), but I welcome any feedback.

Thanks

Mike

If you are planning a cruise "round the Cape" you will only find cruises from late November through early April which is their summer. They get more rain in May-July, which this last year actually resulted in so much flooding that it damaged the walk-ways on the Argentina side. I was there in August one year (not on a cruise) and was told that this was a good time to go, but that there was even more water the month before.

You need to know that with the current energy "crunch," they now turn the falls off at sunset, and don't turn them on again until dawn.

Seriously, we just got back from our South America cruise and went to the falls on New Year's Day. They are absolutely breathtaking - magnificant!

Regards,

captgeo

We just returned last week from 3 nights at Iguazu Falls, staying at the Sheraton on the Argentinean side of the falls. We had questioned whether 3 nights was too long, and I can honestly say it was NOT! The falls are magnificent and were very full of water. January can be extremely HOT~our first full day of touring the temperature reached 45 degrees Celsius = 114 degrees F with very high humidity. The next day was much cooler when we toured the Brazilian side as there were more clouds and shade. Our experience was incredible and we were given very good advise from various sources we wish to pass on.

1. The first day, after arriving in the afternoon, we did the boat trip under the falls as it was very HOT. Great decision as we may not have wanted to do it at any other time, as once you return to the hotel after walking the trails, the air-conditioning feels too good ;). Great way to cool down and they don't just let the falls spray you, you get a torrential dunking...and several times.

2. Just a word of advise...they give you heavy-duty, special bags to place clothing and camera gear to protect them from water at the falls while on the zodiacs. They instruct you on how to fold the top over to prevent accidental water leakage. We had to be extremely fast getting just the camera equipment in the bag and closed, but it does a great job of protecting very valuable equipment.

3. If you want to walk back from your exit dry, we suggest you wear your swimming suit under your clothes and take your shorts/shirt, etc., off before getting on the boat where you will be required to put on a life jacket. They tell you shoes must be worn when you get on the boat and can be taken off once on the boat. Take them off immediately after getting on the boat and place them in the bag!!! Unfortunately, we didn't have time to get our shorts or shoes off so we walked back (a long walk) wearing very wet clothing. There are lots of view points along the way for photos so the walk can be quite long and worse in dripping wet clothing that doesn't dry quickly in the humid weather.

4. Try to do the Argentinean side very early in the morning...Park opens at 8 AM. This way you avoid the heat of the day, the crowds from tour buses from other parts of the area, and nice lighting for taking photographs.

5. We did the Brazilian side in the morning as well, but after stopping at the Bird Park...a MUST!!! We timed it so we were able to enjoy a huge luncheon buffet at the restaurant overlooking the falls. We didn't need dinner that night!

6. Take lots of water with you as you can get very dehydrated in the heat. I also recommend you take a wet washrag or towel stored in a plastic bag to drape around your neck in the excessive heat. That saved me in 114 degree heat!!!

7. Being a birder we discovered, almost too late, that behind the workshops on the grounds of the Sheraton as the sun is going down, fantastic wild birds. They come to roost or do what birds do at night. I have incredible photos of many different birds including several different types of Toucans, Southern Lapwing, Parrots, Parakeets, different types of Tyrants, Kiskadee, Finch, Hummingbirds, etc.

What wonderful memories to last a lifetime. These falls cover quite a distance and the vegetation, birds, butterflies, & other animals just add to the experience.

Sorry this is so long but wanted to share some thoughts while they are fresh in mind. Have fun and let me know if you have questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Spring is best. We were there in early November of last year, and it was AWESOME. Our guide said we definitely picked the right time of year.

Winter is the worst (our summer) because when it rains a lot, the water turns brown instead of its usual blue and sometimes it can close some of the catwalks when the water gets high. In their summer (our winter) it's hot and humid, and mosquitoes carrying dengue fever come out to play (our guide told us this).

To me, that's not cool.

We have just returned home after spending 7 weeks in South America, including a 21 day cruise on the Regal Princess leaving Rio on 8th January.

We went to the Falls on the 4th Jan and had 2 nights up there at the Sheraton on the Argentinian side of the Falls with a view room which is a must.

The Falls are one of the most wonderful experiences I have ever enjoyed. It was very hot, 34C and extremely humid but they were terrific. It had rained a few days earlier so there was a maximum amount of water coming over.

We were blessed with sunshine and if you have to decide which side to visit then I would suggest the Argentinian side. We did both sides and the Brazilian side is only 1km in length wheras the Argentinian side is about 6km and takes all morning. Our photos are magnificent and due justice to a fantastic 2 days in the falls area.

Jennie

We were blessed with sunshine and if you have to decide which side to visit then I would suggest the Argentinian side. We did both sides and the Brazilian side is only 1km in length wheras the Argentinian side is about 6km and takes all morning. Our photos are magnificent and due justice to a fantastic 2 days in the falls area.

Jennie

Now I feel better about not having the time to visit the Brazilian side. We were told that you have a more panoramic view from Brazil.

It was fun to discover different sections on the 3 major trails on the Argentinian side. Concur that they were spectacular!

Please post a pointer to your Brazilian photos.

Dileep,

I am not sure how to post our photos. We have so many wonderful ones, especially of Antarctica, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos islands besides the Falls.

Jennie

Get a free Yahoo account and then you can upload unlimited photos. You can click on my photo link below to see how mine are organized. I use separate albums for each place of interest.

Of course, you will need a broadband connection to load lots of photos.

I do have a Yahoo account so that is no trouble. Unfortunately we have dial up so I think the uploading could take too long!

Jennie

Can you email me 1 or 2 of your best Iguazu pictures taken from the Brazil side? Yahoo let's you pick the resolution of what you send (low, med, high). I am intowines at yahoo.

thanks!

dileep,

I will gladly send you the photos. I went into your photos but am not sure how to send them to you. Do you have an email address that I can forward them to.

I sound like a dummy with computers. I am just not sure of the photo side of it.

Jennie

dileep,

I will gladly send you the photos. I went into your photos but am not sure how to send them to you. Do you have an email address that I can forward them to.

Jennie

Use Yahoo Mail and there should be an Insert Photos button. My email address is intowines at yahoo dot com.

Or tell me your email address and I will email you so you can just reply.

Dileep,

I understand you now. I often send photos through my Yahoo address. I was just trying to make it more difficult for myself.

I will send them later on today as I have to go out now and do some shopping - it is Saturday morning here. I will pick out the best of the Brazilian side for you.

Jennie

Now I feel better about not having the time to visit the Brazilian side. We were told that you have a more panoramic view from Brazil.

It was fun to discover different sections on the 3 major trails on the Argentinian side. Concur that they were spectacular!

Please post a pointer to your Brazilian photos.

Dileep -- We were on the Jan 8 cruise. I am taking the liberty of emailing you some of our pixs. While the trail on the Brazil side is shorter, the views were spectacular. And, obviously from a different angle. One or two pixs don't do it justice. Will send a few more. We also used Ricardo for our trip. Spent the night at the Sheraton but went to both sides.

Diane

Diane

Dileep -- We were on the Jan 8 cruise. I am taking the liberty of emailing you some of our pixs. While the trail on the Brazil side is shorter, the views were spectacular. And, obviously from a different angle. One or two pixs don't do it justice. Will send a few more. We also used Ricardo for our trip. Spent the night at the Sheraton but went to both sides.

Diane

Diane

Thanks, Diane. I feel really sorry that you missed 2 ports.

Thanks, Diane. I feel really sorry that you missed 2 ports.

In spite of all the "bad" things written about our trip, we had a great time. Completely missed penguins -- but an excuse to do this one again sometime. Our cup is half full not half empty. I have enjoyed all your posts! Thanks.

Diane

Diane,

I am not sure if you were on the Regal or not, leaving Rio on the 8th. If you were not, then do not be dismayed at missing two ports as we missed three due to the weather conditions down south.

We missed Puerto Madryn, the Falklands and Chocabuco. We did see penguins at Punta Arenas which made up for the earlier disappointments. We also managed an extra day in Ushuaia which was a bonus.

Jennie

Diane,

I am not sure if you were on the Regal or not, leaving Rio on the 8th. If you were not, then do not be dismayed at missing two ports as we missed three due to the weather conditions down south.

We missed Puerto Madryn, the Falklands and Chocabuco. We did see penguins at Punta Arenas which made up for the earlier disappointments. We also managed an extra day in Ushuaia which was a bonus.

Jennie

We were lucky indeed on the Jan 22 Celebrity sailing. We hit all ports and had excellent weather, icluding bright sunshine in Puerto Montt!

Archived