Do you have to use a flash

crzn4fun

800 film would be okay during the walk and as you go into and exit the cave, but otherwise you really need a flash as much of the cave is very dark except for the lights people are wearing and occaisional areas where an opening allows light through.

Even with a flash, the pictures inside the caves don't turn out very well. The space is large so the flash doesn't usually go far enough to really illuminate the walls and ceiling of the cave well enough for really sharp pictures on most cameras. Perhaps if you had a camera with a special flash that was also waterproof you'd have a different experience. You are also moving which further complicates things. The pictures outside the cave turn out great though, so I'd be inclined to go with a film speed more suited to that setting...something like 200 or 400. 800 is apt to be grainy and I don't think you're going to get good shots in the cave anyway. Just about all disposables use 800 speed if that is what you are considering. I used a waterproof digital and that worked out fine.

Archived