Drink package question for 8-day cruise out of Galveston

lissajeff24

Pretty sure I know the answer but wanted to ask all the professional cruisers :) 

I am sailing out of Galveston in February, on a Saturday, for an 8-day cruise.  Am I correct in my assumption that the drink package would be for 7 days, and that sailing out on a Saturday makes no difference, because of our silly Texas liquor laws?  😄   

You are correct. The package starts at 6:00am on the second day, your first day at sea.
Texas beverage laws aren't new, but enforcement of them has been relaxed for decades. It's a revenue grab for those returning with alcohol, and you can see the ships selection of cheap booze has dwindled. Prior to enforcement the racks and stacks of cheap flavored rum were everywhere. Now the duty or tax that is added on makes it not such a deal to carry off.

When you board the ship the bars are in full force with both beer and mixed drinks. They mix and serve from separate coolers and cabinets that are locked up once the ship gets into international water. That happens in the first hour or so, and they close the bars for about ten minutes to lock up all the bottles that have the tax stamp on them. Then they open up with a full variety to serve tax free.

We haven't bought bottles to carry home since they started putting the banquet table after US Customs and just prior to exit. They stand there like someone at Costco trying to sell me home improvement services asking about alcohol purchases. No, no and no I'm not slowing down for your questions.

I live dangerous (said a man that wears a bike helmet even for a casual ride around the block) so I can do that...

Edited by BallFour4

Oh yeah, I agree, it's not as good of a deal anymore.  I've only sailed 3 times and even since my first (2017), I can see that it's changed.  I even looked around the ports this past February and decided it wasn't worth bringing anything back, lol!  

I will just get the Cheers package and drink just high dollar and top shelf 😎

9 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

You're correct. Keep in mind on that 8 day cruise you cant use it at half moon cay either

That's why they make collapsible coolers so you put your unopened beers that you tipped various bartenders for and then take them to HMC with you.  So if you're at 11 drinks, get 4 more unopened beers at the end of the evening for when you go to HMC.