B2B Syndey/Auckland/Syndey Any questions

WAVTAM

Home Wednesday Feb 1 from b2b cruise Syndey/Auckland/Syndey. For any questions about ship, ports or any other general info, please post a note. Please note as experience travelors, we did all are port trips independently. Their for, I don't have any info on Princess excursions. WAVTAM

I am cruisin for the first time 02 apr Diamond Princess.. Can anyone give me any tips or help? I am soo confused by the cruising concept

Hi try a post in the P&O section of cruise critic. Mostly Aussies & lots of info and help is available.

I am cruising to Oz/NZ on the Diamond, February 25 ending in Auckland. I wanted so badly to visit the WAITOMO GLOW WORM GROTTO. Unfortunately I did not select the Princess transfer to qualify for their tour which is 9 hours in length. Our flight back to the U.S. is at 7:40 PM that evening and I am sure that we can do the tour in less than 5 hours independently.

Question: Do you know of a way in which my family and I (3 of us) can do this tour using a independent (Doesn't necessarily have to be a tour guide--simple transportation to and from would be most helpful)? Luggage is not an issue, as I would be leaving them in my sister's hotel room, as she extends her vacation a couple of days in Auckland.

Any info that you can provide would be deeply appreciated! Thanks.

Pam, I don't know for sure about the timelines, but I think they would be pretty tight. One option would be to rent a car, drive to Waitomo, have your sister drop you curbside at the airport, and have her return the car (either at the airport or in the CBD by her hotel).

You may also be able to find a car and driver who will do the same thing for you if you prefer (likely much more expensive though).

One of the locals might have a better idea on the timelines for whether this is possible, or if it is too rushed. I'm not one to take risks with last minute check in for an international flight (I'll be at the airport 3 hours early).

Thanks, Stebul...you are probably right. I, too do not relish the thought of risking my international flight! DH would not be a happy camper! With that said, I may just end up putting this tour on my next trip's agenda to the wonderful world of Oz and NZ--much to my disappointment though!

Welcome back, WAVTAM!

We're on the 2/25 sailing.

1. Did you visit any wineries at any of the ports? I'd like to get a tour(s) to visit several. Any suggestions?

2. In Dunedin, I'm torn between sea kayaking, going to Larnach Castle, or staying in town for the Pub Hop. Any perspective after being there in person?

Thanks a lot!

Tami

Welcome back, WAVTAM!

We're on the 2/25 sailing.

1. Did you visit any wineries at any of the ports? I'd like to get a tour(s) to visit several. Any suggestions?

2. In Dunedin, I'm torn between sea kayaking, going to Larnach Castle, or staying in town for the Pub Hop. Any perspective after being there in person?

Thanks a lot!

Tami

Hi.

many of the NZ ports of call have wineries within reach. Here in Tauranga we have two larger and one samaller one. Mills Reef is the closest to the ship [20 minute drive] then Moreton Estate, another 20 minutes further, then a little known one in the Karangahake Gorge just past Waihi [all heading north from the Port. You would eithjet need to hire a car ot find a tour company who could offer you this tour, which could be combined with some of the other sights in this area for a great day out.

Auckland has some great wineries, plus Christchurch, off course Napier if your ship stops there. Hope that helps. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

I am cruising to Oz/NZ on the Diamond, February 25 ending in Auckland. I wanted so badly to visit the WAITOMO GLOW WORM GROTTO. Unfortunately I did not select the Princess transfer to qualify for their tour which is 9 hours in length. Our flight back to the U.S. is at 7:40 PM that evening and I am sure that we can do the tour in less than 5 hours independently.

Question: Do you know of a way in which my family and I (3 of us) can do this tour using a independent (Doesn't necessarily have to be a tour guide--simple transportation to and from would be most helpful)? Luggage is not an issue, as I would be leaving them in my sister's hotel room, as she extends her vacation a couple of days in Auckland.

Hi

If you have missed out on the glowworm trip from the ships tours then it is possible to do this as a private tour from Tauranga, one of your ports of call. Depending on your ships ETA and ETD you can even include a private tour of Hobbiton [LOTR movie set] and also Rotorua geothermals etc. This would be a long day but if you want to cram in as much as possible while down under then go for it. You will be in port on the 8th March, ship arrives 0800 and leaves 2000 according to our info.

Heres a possible itinerary.

0830 leave port for Hobbiton

0930 Private Hobbiton Tour

1130 Light lunch at Shires Rest cafe [hobbiton]

1200 Depart Hobbiton

1300 Arrive Waitomo for caves tour etc

1430 Depart waitomo for Rotorua

1600 Arrive Rotorua to see Geothermal etc [Te Puia]

1730 Depart Rotorau

1900 Arrive Tauranga to join ship.

A full on day but a good local tour operator will be able to make this chedule work for you, timing is tight so using all the local short cuts and not getting lost will make all the difference. Pre book the tours as well to say time, especially Hobbiton.

Leave out any 1 of the 3 destinations and you wuill still have a great time without the rush.

a self drive is possible but can be fraught as you MUST get back to the ship in time.

post if you need any more info. Some of the other CC'ers may be able to help you with recomendations for tour companies, you cam also look on the Diamond Princess Rolls Calls thread for help.

Waitomo can also be done from Auckland but this means beating the city traffic and the route is not so pleaseant.

Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Hi again, sorry i just noted your flight out time so you will not be able to see Waitomo from Auckland unless you take a helicopter trip [this can be arranged from the Heliport in Auckland].

If you dont want to go to the cost of booking a private tour, then another way of doing this at a more affordable cost would be to hire a private hire car and ask the hire company if they can recommend a friend or family member to act as your guide for the day [he would not be able to drive or take any liability for the trip, as he would need to have all sorts of proffessional licences and insurances like the proper tour companies] but at least he could diect you to the best routes etc. Not sure if anyone has tried this option but its another idea. If you want a full guide service then find a proper guide.

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the numerous suggestions and information! It is also great to finally "talk" to you after reading so many of your well informed thoughts and shared expertise.

Unfortunately, in Tauranga I will be on the Rotorua Maori Experience and thermal reserve tour so that pretty much limits my visit to the Waitomo glow worm grotto that day while in port.

I will, however inquire as to what hotel tours are available in Auckland, considering the traffic a serious concern, then take into consideration that I just may have to bite the bullet on this one and tour the city sights instead.

But as one who NEVER gives up, if by some chance I make it, I will definitely let all know!

Thanks again and SEA ya'!

Home Wednesday Feb 1 from b2b cruise Syndey/Auckland/Syndey. For any questions about ship, ports or any other general info, please post a note. WAVTAM

Can you tell us a little about the shipboard entertainment? What time do the show(s) in the main theatre begin each evening?

Four replies whilst on -board.

MV..... The Airwalk was done by the cruise director and with personal comminication, he did not think it was worth the money. If in Hobart on Saturday, the local market can consume your whole day. Otherwise walk to info office and pay for Rt transfer to Booranja Wildlife Park ($30 plus entrance fee)

Pam....IMHO you would be cutting it to close.

Sunmail..... We did the whole pennisula including Albatross Colony/Castle/Penquin Bay/Railway Station with lunch/Baldwin Street(Steep street) by Renting-a-Dent locally. For 6 people with gas we paid $35 couple.

Najul.....the entertaiment each night is 8 and 10pm. Get their early as passengers exceed capacity!!! WAVTAM

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the numerous suggestions and information! It is also great to finally "talk" to you after reading so many of your well informed thoughts and shared expertise.

Unfortunately, in Tauranga I will be on the Rotorua Maori Experience and thermal reserve tour so that pretty much limits my visit to the Waitomo glow worm grotto that day while in port.

I will, however inquire as to what hotel tours are available in Auckland, considering the traffic a serious concern, then take into consideration that I just may have to bite the bullet on this one and tour the city sights instead.

But as one who NEVER gives up, if by some chance I make it, I will definitely let all know!

Thanks again and SEA ya'!

Hi PJ, the only way i think you will see the glow worms will be to cancel your ships tour and find a private tour that covers both Rotorua and Waitomo, both can be done in one day, especially if you leave out Hobbiton. Note that these small private tours can cover a lot more in a day as theres no wait for all the variously able or inable to board and deaprt buses etc, the vehicles make better time on the road and the actual tours which are personally guided can skirt around the bottlenecks. Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised. If you find 2 or 4 others to join you then the day could actually work out cheaper. Regards Ian

KiwiIan,

Actually my tour was spearheaded by my mom, Elizabeth Rowe which is not the ship's tour but a "private" tour she pre-arranged. Since this was arranged for our entire group, I would hate to back out now, unless you know of space for 3 in another "private" tour that has the same itinerary you mention. In this regard, she would understand, as she has toured the glow worm/grotto in her last visit to NZ and understands my desire to tour the same.

In any event, your suggestions are great. Many thanks again Ian!

Pam

Thanks Sunmail for the heads-up! Unfortunately, it is open for those passengers leaving after 8:30PM. Our flight is at 7:40PM so we don't qualify. I called Princess for verification before the risk of losing $417.00 for the 3 of us.

...So to avoid the rush, if I do not find an "independent" to get us there, I will forego this until another time! Thanks again, Pam

lizlewis, Syndey... Stayed at Marriott. Did Opera tour, Bridge climb, Aquarium, walked the city sights. Syndey Explorer bus

Melbourne......Tram into city. Did free circular city tour. Parilment tour. Big shopping for all souveniors at Victoria Market

Hobart..... Saturday market. Boronga Wildlife tour from city center tour office.

Dunedin..... Rented car with 4 others and did Oratga penisula and steep street and city center.I also meet personal friends on return trip and toured farming outside the city.

Christchurch.....Wonderful walking city. Catheral Center/Art center/Museum/Gardens/Street buskers/Lunch on Avon river.

Tauraga.....Walk around Mountain...onto beach. I also met friends

and went to Rortura Thermal Rianbow,Falls park and Kiwi 360 with car rental again. I used Rent-a-dent. WAVTAM

Hey guys I've been anticipating about your NZ cruise. Will you post a full review? If so please post a link on our old roll call or something. I so want to hear about it.

With all the work my son did on Captain Cook we both learned as much about NZ as we did Hawaii, so we can't wait to here about it. Also, I have to share with you today that DS won the County Spelling Bee and gets to go to state!!!

Archived