Looking for Tokyo Info - May 2021 Ovation Cruise

cruisin4kicks

I'm going to be doing the May 8, 2021 Royal Caribbean Ovation from Tokyo to Seattle cruise... probably one of the few that will not be doing the B2B starting in Singapore. I'm starting some preliminary research & just thought I would come over & see if I could get any useful information.

First off, I've read on another thread on this board that Delta will soon be flying into Haneda (HND) instead of Narita (NRT). I went to a Delta news hub website & confirmed that that is true. From what I've read, that's a good thing. I live in Atlanta & Delta currently has a nonstop to NRT & looks like it will have a nonstop to HND by the time I leave for the cruise.

Does anyone know what cruise terminal Royal Caribbean cruises out of when docked in Tokyo? Is there more than one cruise terminal? If so, does anyone know a website that would have a schedule as to what ships are in what cruise terminals?

Any suggestions on hotels either near HND or the cruise terminal? Looking at prices, looks like around $300 (31,702.50 yen) per night is kind of a ball park figure. Is that about right or do I need to make a deeper search? Like I mentioned earlier, just starting the research.

If anyone could provide transportation information, that would also be very helpful. Don't think I'll be staying in Tokyo more than 2 nights so don't think I need any tour information at this time.

Any information anyone can provide for me to start my research would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Tim

The cruise port is in Yokohama, 30 to 40 minutes away from Tokyo. Still easy to do DIY.

Our travelogues could give you some idea.

Read about our cruise to Japan on Millennium here:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

Or the one on HAL Westerdam here:

Generally speaking, flying into Haneda instead of Narita is preferable because it's closer and it's cheaper.  Haneda is my preference too.  But one can argue I suppose Narita can be as convenient and comfortable, if you take the Narita Express into town (albeit at a price premium) to a hotel near one of its stops.  I've taken the monorail and local commuter trains to and from Haneda and it can get crowded.

If you are ok with small, simple, but efficient rooms, hotel chains geared towards the business traveler like Toyoko Inn and APA can be had for 7500-15000Y ($75-150) per night depending on how early you book, which location you choose, etc.  Toyoko Inns include a simple Japanese style breakfast whereas breakfast is an additional charge for APA's.  Both come with free wifi.  

A couple of websites I use for research include:

Japan Guide

Tokyo Cheapo

5 hours ago, Milhouse said:

If you are ok with small, simple, but efficient rooms, hotel chains geared towards the business traveler like Toyoko Inn and APA

While I agree, I would like to add that calling them small is misleading - TINY is the better word :-)

This is APA Shinjuku Kabukicho Tower

8A42AFFB-2C10-49C5-B462-D5E1817C0367.jpeg.268007f73f65bfe7e53aca9447764505.thumb.jpeg.c9616fa410f719911cf534538e9c8b2d.jpeg

If your going to stay in Yokohama (rather than Tokyo) it's easy to take a bus from Haneda to YCAT (Yokohama City Airport Terminal) and then a taxi to your hotel.

you can also take a bus to Tokyo, just do a search on youtube.

Assuming you are leaving from Osanbashi Cruise Terminal, then   a hotel near the port is Hotel New Grand  (the hotel is also near Chinatown and the Cup Of Noodles Museum plus many other attractions. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hotel+New+Grand/@35.4460505,139.6461426,17z/data=!3m1!5s0x60185ce297361643:0x4ceb5b0528839890!4m15!1m6!3m5!1s0x60185cfbfa5d4e