Price of cruise reduced after paying balance?

Hi all, I booked a cruise for 3 very early (8 months in advance) to secure the cruise as it's a special birthday surprise for a friend next month. We wanted a twin and a single cabin, and at the time of booking  Thomson said  there were no single cabins available and they wouldn't offer us 2 twin cabins for just 3 of us.  The reduction for a third person in the cabin was just £60. 

I've now discovered,  4 weeks before the cruise,  that the price has dropped considerably and a single person can now occupy a balcony room. The total cost online for 2 twin balcony rooms for 3 people is the same price as the ONE balcony room shared by 3 of us!  I feel we have been over charged and so  disappointed 😞 

I've looked into cancelling but we've paid the full balance now and would loose it. Anyone know if Thomson are likely to honour a request for a change in our booking now that the prices have dropped or should we just put it down to experience and book later next time? 

4 hours ago, Madison01 said:

Hi all, I booked a cruise for 3 very early (8 months in advance) to secure the cruise as it's a special birthday surprise for a friend next month. We wanted a twin and a single cabin, and at the time of booking  Thomson said  there were no single cabins available and they wouldn't offer us 2 twin cabins for just 3 of us.  The reduction for a third person in the cabin was just £60. 

I've now discovered,  4 weeks before the cruise,  that the price has dropped considerably and a single person can now occupy a balcony room. The total cost online for 2 twin balcony rooms for 3 people is the same price as the ONE balcony room shared by 3 of us!  I feel we have been over charged and so  disappointed 😞 

I've looked into cancelling but we've paid the full balance now and would loose it. Anyone know if Thomson are likely to honour a request for a change in our booking now that the prices have dropped or should we just put it down to experience and book later next time? 

I think sadly you'll have to chalk it up to experience.

Cruise companys move prices depending on how full the ships are - rooms are better filled at a discount than not at all.

If you'd only paid a deposit at this point it might have been worth your while cancelling and rebooking.

• 3 weeks later...

HAve you tried calling and see how much it would cost to upgrade to an extra cabin.  It never hurts to ask!

I understand the frustration of the price drop.  You are paying for the fact that you wanted to secure your cruise in advance.  People that have the flexibility to go at any date and wait for bargains - get the advantage of the lower cost.  They did not however get the advantage of early rates on pre-cruise hotels, flights, the best choice of cabins, longer to plan excursions, longer to plan their luggage and a longer excitement build up.  

You could have been in the situation of “waiting for a bargain” and finding that the cruise was fully booked and so your special trip did not take place.  

In fact 8 months in advance is not “very early”.  There are lots of people who book up to 2 years in advance just to secure the best rooms.  Prices go up and down from the initial rate depending on how well they are filling up.  Ships do not want to sail with empty rooms - passengers on board are where they get their profits.  

39 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

HAve you tried calling and see how much it would cost to upgrade to an extra cabin.  It never hurts to ask!

I understand the frustration of the price drop.  You are paying for the fact that you wanted to secure your cruise in advance.  People that have the flexibility to go at any date and wait for bargains - get the advantage of the lower cost.  They did not however get the advantage of early rates on pre-cruise hotels, flights, the best choice of cabins, longer to plan excursions, longer to plan their luggage and a longer excitement build up.  

You could have been in the situation of “waiting for a bargain” and finding that the cruise was fully booked and so your special trip did not take place.  

In fact 8 months in advance is not “very early”.  There are lots of people who book up to 2 years in advance just to secure the best rooms.  Prices go up and down from the initial rate depending on how well they are filling up.  Ships do not want to sail with empty rooms - passengers on board are where they get their profits.  

I usually book at least a year in advance, being a solo cruiser that is necessary to ensure I get a cabin at all!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are not long back from our first ever cruise. Sailed on Explorer - Baltics 2 weeks. 

We booked eighteen months before sailing and the price reduced a few times to what we had paid. I phoned Tui with no joy, so I emailed them. They still couldn't " do any thing but at least I got replies even if the answer to asking for an upgrade or credit towards the price we had paid was a big no! Lol doesn't hurt to ask! 

My opinion of tui is the sales staff ver the phone need better training and skills but my opinion of MArella. Cruise staff .... Wow! They are fabulous ! So for me I've learned to book when the price is acceptable to me and don't look again! Lol

next cruise booked, Explorer 2 21 days transatlantic in April 2020 🚢🍹