Any single parents/ single moms sailing on the Conquest 3/26/06

jshawnh

I am a single dad, and this single board has really encouraged me to see if other single parents might be going on our next cruise. We (DS 14, and DD 12) have sailed 4 times in the past 3 years, and are anxiously awaiting our next cruise. I have found that cruising is a great vacation and I love it, as well do my kids. But, I do get to feeling just a little out of place at times, thinking how nice it would be able to meet others in a situation similar to mine. From reading some threads on this board, I've found quite few others feel the same as I do. So, let me know if you'll be on the Conquest 3/26.

J.S.

Jubilee 3/03

Holiday 3/04

Ecstacy 11/04

Elation 4/05

Conquest 3/26/06!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi- I'm in you same position. I'm widowed with a 10 and 12 year old. We love to cruise and last year went to Alaska but we had my mom and brother with us. This year it will be just the three of us going to Hawaii. I'm a bit worried about keeping everyone together. I don't want to be a mother hen, but I'd feel better if we could keep in touch. Walkie talkies ar soso effective, so what do you guys do to keep in touch on board?

We are thinking about taking the Liberty next year and going to Rome, Florence etc. Wouldn't it be great to get a single parents cruise together for that?

I think that would be an awesome idea. That's one of my dream cruises I have been thinking about.

As for keeping in touch with each other on the ship, we've tried the family radio walkie talkies also. And like you, have found that they are only so-so at best. We have started leaving notes whenever we are going to be somewhere. This year I am taking a small magnetic dry-erase marker board, so we can easily let each other know where we will be. My kids have been great at keeping me informed of their wherabouts by the note method, as long as the room stewards don't move them while cleaning the room. I think the dry-erase board will work out great.

I'd love to hear more about your cruise idea for Rome.

Shawn

I am a single mom and I LOVE cruising both with my kids and solo as a vacation!

While I enjoy getting on a ship and I have always found that I meet people and have a great time I totally understand your desire to find some other single parents! I tried the same thing in the past. Have you checked the Carnival Roll Calls? Last April I met some wonderful people and had a great time meeting them. There were no other single parents but the aspect of "knowing" some people in advance via a roll call thread and meeting up with them throughout the week really was a nice enhancement to my cruise. I was also fortunate that on that same cruise my tablemate was a single dad and his children. Although we did not enjoy the same after dinner activities it was a great experience for me and the kids.

As far as keeping in touch - I have always found that post-it notes on the mirror works very well. My kids like having some of those notes as momentos from the trip.

I would love to travel with other single parents one day!!

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I am a widowed mom (34) traveling 5/28 with my 14yr old son/ 12yr old daughter.......I know how you feel :) I went in November on Royal Caribbean w/ my kids and made so many friends, I am sure the same thing will happen on this one. I will probably spend most nights dancing at the disco, gambling and seeing the shows. Walkie talkies worked great for us, but the Rhapsody was a lot smaller than this ship! Let me know how to find you, and I will come and say hello!!

Kerry

Ok, here is an idea and ya'll can tell me what you think.....How about we all meet at the Sky Pool on Lido Deck 9 (very back of the boat) after the Muster drill????? We can make it short and sweet, but if we all still have our life jkts that would make it obvious that we are from Cruisecritics too.

See you soon,

Kerry

Archived