Nuku’alofa - Tonga

OntarioCruiser38

We will be in Nuku’alofa - Tonga  for a day in April 2020.

We would like suggestions, for those that have been, on things to do or possibly a great tour for the day so we can see the island. 

Looking for a great experience. 

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by OntarioCruiser38

It's been ages since I have been there. Don't expect much. I would probably take a ship's tour, but we weren't there with a ship. They had a tourist info kiosk in town and I am assuming that the tourist people will be at the location where the tenders come in. It is a tender port, isn't it? You will see a lot of traditional clothing, great photo opportunities. Ask.

And please come back to tell me how it was. 

Market4.JPG

3 hours ago, Floridiana said:

It's been ages since I have been there. Don't expect much. I would probably take a ship's tour, but we weren't there with a ship. They had a tourist info kiosk in town and I am assuming that the tourist people will be at the location where the tenders come in. It is a tender port, isn't it? You will see a lot of traditional clothing, great photo opportunities. Ask.

And please come back to tell me how it was. 

Market4.JPG

Thank you again,

I am working on a private tour, possibly for a group from the ship.  

I was thinking of renting a car but like the idea of a driver and van.

Will post our impressions after visiting.

Great picture, thank you for posting it. 

Thank you again.

J

We were docked in Nuku’alofa and we took a shore excursion as I couldn’t find a private tour.

The tour guide was great, went to the Kings Palace, Captain Cooks landing, Oholei Beach for a traditional dancing and fire show. 

The bus is a minibus with no air conditioning. But with all the windows open you don’t notice. 

The Tongans proudly say their best export is Tongans to Australia.

We were told that the King only cares about the main island as this is where he lives and not the other islands as you will notice the difference when you get to Vavau.

Souvenirs aren’t cheap. 

18 hours ago, Cathy611 said:

We were docked in Nuku’alofa and we took a shore excursion as I couldn’t find a private tour.

The tour guide was great, went to the Kings Palace, Captain Cooks landing, Oholei Beach for a traditional dancing and fire show. 

The bus is a minibus with no air conditioning. But with all the windows open you don’t notice. 

The Tongans proudly say their best export is Tongans to Australia.

We were told that the King only cares about the main island as this is where he lives and not the other islands as you will notice the difference when you get to Vavau.

Souvenirs aren’t cheap. 

Thank you Cathy... this is great background information..  

Hi all...

I have engaged a private guide with an air conditioned van for early April 2020.

It will be a tour of the island.   So I will post some feedback upon my return for the benefit of those planning for the future.

Thank you

J

1 hour ago, OntarioCruiser38 said:

Hi all...

I have engaged a private guide with an air conditioned van for early April 2020.

It will be a tour of the island.   So I will post some feedback upon my return for the benefit of those planning for the future.

Thank you

J

Hello!

Would. You mind posting the name and/or contact info of your tour operator? We will be. There early March. Thank-you.

• 1 month later...

I found this private tour that provides a full island excursion.

contact tonigh2@yahoo.co.uk ask for Toni

Toni has great reviews!

1. Royal Palace 

2. Royal Tombs 

3. Ancient Royal Tombs of Lapaha 

4. Ha'amonga'a Maui Trilithon 

5. 3 headed Coconut tree 

6. Tsunami Rock 

7. Mapu'a 'a Vaea Blowholes 

8  Abel Tasman Landing Site 

9,  Ha'atafu Beach

A stop for lunch but not included in price.

Typical Itinerary 

Stop At: Royal Palace, Vaha'Akolo Rd, Nuku'alofa, Tongatapu Island Tonga 

We will stop at the Tongan Royal Palace for a quick photo stop, and hopefully if we are lucky, catch a glimpse of the King! Duration: 10 minutes 

2.          Stop At: Royal Tombs, Laifone Rd, Nuku'alofa, Tongatapu Island Tonga 

The Tongans developed different burial practices depending on class, with one layer for commoners, two for nobles, and three for royalty. At this attraction, you'll get a glimpse of the grandeur with which Tonga's royal family is laid to rest. Please note that this area is fenced and you can only take photos from outside the fenced area. Duration: 10 minutes 

3.          Stop At: Ancient Royal Tombs of Lapaha, Mua, Tongatapu Island Tonga 

Don't underestimate this amazing sight! The langis are platforms of earth with a stepped pyramid effect supported by stone slabs as surrounding walls. The vaults and the construction were enormous and highly engineering feat that the people of Tonga achieved at a time the Tongan empire was at its peak. Duration: 20 minutes 

4.          Stop At: Ha'amonga'a Maui Trilithon, Lapaha, Tongatapu Island Tonga 

See Ha’amonga, Tonga’s very own Stonehenge and learn about its mysterious origins. Constructed from three huge 40 ton coral limestone slabs, why it was built and how it was built - no-one really knows. It sits in front of 3 paths that lead to the beach which act as a Solstice Calendar, depending on which path you see the sun rise through tells you if it's the shortest or longest day of the year! Pretty amazing and pretty mysterious ancient sight! Duration: 30 minutes 

5.          Stop At: 3 Headed Coconut, Loto Rd Matahau, Tongatapu Island Tonga 

Next we will stop at the famously rare 3-headed coconut tree. A freak of nature and not reported to be found anywhere else in the world! Duration: 20 minutes 

6.          Stop At: Mapu'a 'a Vaea Blowholes, Houma Corner Of Salote Rd And One Way Rd., Tongatapu Island Tonga 

Watch Mother Nature show off at the mighty blow holes! As waves crash into the reef, natural channels in the rock allow water to forcefully blow through and create an amazing sound and sight. Watch comfortably from the viewing platform and maybe even get a little ocean spray shower! Duration: 30 minutes 

7.          Stop At: Tsunami Rock, Unnamed Road, Kala'au, Tonga 

Next we visit Tsunami rock, also known as "Maka Sio'ata. With its mysterious and forbidding name, the giant three-story boulder sits just off a tiny and beautiful beach on the western side of Tongatapu - and no one knows exactly how it got there. Researchers believe the ancient wave may have hit the island's shore sometime within the past 7,000 years, after the melting of the most recent ice age brought sea levels to roughly where they are today! Duration: 20 minutes 

8.          Stop At: Abel Tasman Landing Site, Hihifo rd, Kanokupolu, Tongatapu Island Tonga 

Then we are off to the western side of Tongatapu where Abel Tasman came to anchor, thus becoming the first European to meet with the inhabitants of Tongatapu. Duration: 10 minutes 

9.   Stop At: Ha'atafu Beach, Tongatapu Island Tonga 

A sandy slice of paradise, Tonga's best and most gorgeous beach. We will stop here for a quick swim, tide & time permitting. Duration: 30 minutes