Advanced Skating Sessions

da1425

Hello,

We are on Harmony of the Seas in March and I think it would be neat to go for a skate while at sea.  My sons (8&6) and I all play hockey, so we are not beginners.  I have read that there is "advanced sessions" for those who bring their own skates.  Is that still the case?  It's hard to find much info about it online.  Also, how many advanced sessions would there be on a 7 day cruise with 3 sea days?

If we could go out 2 or 3 times for 30 minutes or so, it would probably make lugging our skates in our bags worth it.  I know the ice is small but as I said, it's more about the novelty than anything.

Thanks!

Edit:  This is where I read about the advanced sessions and bringing your own skates.  Looks like the info is a couple of years old.

https://www.*****.com/2015/10/08/5-things-know-about-ice-skating-royal-caribbean-cruise

Edited by da1425

If I recall correctly, when I was on Harmony they had limited times for Open Skate.  They did not specifically have "advanced sessions".  This was 2 years ago, so maybe things have changed and someone who has sailed on her more recently has something different to report.  Maybe search on here for some Cruise Compasses from a recent Harmony sailing and this should answer your question!

Edited by SuiteLady

Different ship (Indy) a couple years back, no advanced sessions.  But IIRC if you had your own gear you could skate longer since you weren't using the somewhat limited supply of skates the ship has.

21 minutes ago, da1425 said:

I can't open this, however it looks like from 2015 and I am thinking that they do not do this any longer.  One of the reasons is that they have very few "Open skate" times and with having "Advanced sessions", it really would limit the amount of folks that can use the skating rink, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

I can't open this, however it looks like from 2015 and I am thinking that they do not do this any longer.  One of the reasons is that they have very few "Open skate" times and with having "Advanced sessions", it really would limit the amount of folks that can use the skating rink, IMO. 

Sorry about that.

I tried to edit the original post, but it doesn't seem to want to let me, so this is the relevant info I read.  And yes, it's from an article four years ago - so the advanced sessions may no longer be an option.  Oh well.

There are advanced sessions for skilled skaters

If you happen to be one of those ice skaters that has been doing it for a while and are quite good, be sure to check out the advanced sessions.

These special open rink times are for seasoned ice skaters and in these sessions, guests can try to do special moves and skate faster than normal.

Keep in mind that for advanced skating, skaters must bring their own ice skates.

To be honest even if they still have advanced skater sessions it is not worth bringing your own skates.  Very little ice time and limited to what you can do and you still have to wear a helmet no matter your ability.  My daughter never bothers with it now.

I was a figure skater and advanced.  The advanced sessions were just people that had their own skates.  I was told that I could not do my jumps or "big spins" and that I would have to wear safety gear.  No thanks, not worth packing my skates to skate in a circle.  It's ok because a week before the cruise I shattered my elbow and couldn't skate anymore.  

I asked the rink staff specifically about this on Allure a few weeks ago. I had read a similar article before going about advanced times. They did not have advanced times as they had no ice time available for it. There were 3 open sessions. The first was during the middle of the day on a sea day. It was packed. They divided the time into 4 half hour sessions- and despite arriving 40 minutes early, I just made it into the second session. The second time slot was right in the middle of our dinner time (7 pm) so I didn’t go. The last was at 5 o’clock on a day we visited Labadee and had a 530 all aboard. I arrived early, but wouldn’t have needed to. Between some people just returning, some people being at dinner, and the novelty box already being checked, there may have been 50 people that showed during the whole time. My husband, who isn’t as much of a fan, even borrowed skates and came out. Since I had my own skates, I was also able to get onto the ice a little early. That was nice. It was however right after practice for the ice show and it was not fresh ice. However, having hocking playing kiddos, I would recommend you find one of these “during dinner” times. I would assume they may be frustrated with the pace of the sea day session. 

We drove to the port, so I figured I could have all the packing space I desired. I also didn’t get to skate much this winter as a respiratory infection right after Christmas made breathing nearly impossible for a month and then I was limited in outdoor activities for some time there after (we live in the north east so skating is an outdoor seasonal activity). This made skating on a ship an extra novelty (inside AND in the middle of the ocean) and totally worth bringing skates for. I doubt that will be the case in the future. 

3 hours ago, reaton said:

I asked the rink staff specifically about this on Allure a few weeks ago. I had read a similar article before going about advanced times. They did not have advanced times as they had no ice time available for it. There were 3 open sessions. The first was during the middle of the day on a sea day. It was packed. They divided the time into 4 half hour sessions- and despite arriving 40 minutes early, I just made it into the second session. The second time slot was right in the middle of our dinner time (7 pm) so I didn’t go. The last was at 5 o’clock on a day we visited Labadee and had a 530 all aboard. I arrived early, but wouldn’t have needed to. Between some people just returning, some people being at dinner, and the novelty box already being checked, there may have been 50 people that showed during the whole time. My husband, who isn’t as much of a fan, even borrowed skates and came out. Since I had my own skates, I was also able to get onto the ice a little early. That was nice. It was however right after practice for the ice show and it was not fresh ice. However, having hocking playing kiddos, I would recommend you find one of these “during dinner” times. I would assume they may be frustrated with the pace of the sea day session. 

We drove to the port, so I figured I could have all the packing space I desired. I also didn’t get to skate much this winter as a respiratory infection right after Christmas made breathing nearly impossible for a month and then I was limited in outdoor activities for some time there after (we live in the north east so skating is an outdoor seasonal activity). This made skating on a ship an extra novelty (inside AND in the middle of the ocean) and totally worth bringing skates for. I doubt that will be the case in the future. 

This is the exact type of info I was looking for - thanks so much.  Sounds like the advanced sessions are a thing of the past.

I'll take your advice - I'll skip the first open ice session and take the boys down at another time later in the week when its hopefully not as busy and let them use the "rental" skates.  Probably not worth the luggage space to drag our skates down from Canada for this.  We'll be flying, so luggage space and weight are a big factor.

Thanks again.

• Like 1