Some Norwegian Jewel Auckland to Sydney Cruise Questions

Hi all,

First time cruising down in New Zealand and I have a few questions and couldn't find too much in the search and hopefully someone with mroe experience or a local Kiwi/Aussie could give some help. Normally I try the roll call but since so few of us are on those for non US cruises, trying my luck here?

My itinerary is as follows:

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart
Mon Auckland, New Zealand (EMBARK) --- 6:00 pm
Tue Bay of Islands, New Zealand 8:00 am 6:00 pm
Wed Tauranga, New Zealand 6:00 am 5:30 pm
Thu Napier, New Zealand 9:00 am 4:30 pm
Fri Marlborough (Picton), New Zealand 8:00 am 6:00 pm
Sat Akaroa, New Zealand 8:00 am 6:00 pm
Sun Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand 8:00 am 6:00 pm
Mon Cruise Doubtful Sound --- ---
  Cruise Dusky Sound --- ---
  Cruise Milford Sound --- ---
Tue At Sea --- ---
Wed At Sea --- ---
Thu Sydney, Australia (DISEMBARK) 6:00 am ---

Do you know which ports are tender ports? I was thinking I'll book the cruise excursions for those and I was trying to check and on the board, it says Auckland is a tender port which suprises me being such a large city but that doesn't affect me so much. Do you know about the others?

Next, what are some of the recommended excursions? I have two little ones, a 2 year old and a 5 year old so somethign that is family friendly would be awesome. If you have any must dos or good for them, please share!

It says we arrive at 6AM Sydney, does anyone know if a 12:00PM flight is catchable assuming no special priority disembarkation or would we need that?

Lastly, I have seen reviews that the 8th floor being aboe Bliss is a horrible level. Are there any other places that would not be recommended to book?

Thanks!

Yi

Edited by yialanliu

On 8/16/2019 at 4:43 AM, yialanliu said:

Hi all,

First time cruising down in New Zealand and I have a few questions and couldn't find too much in the search and hopefully someone with mroe experience or a local Kiwi/Aussie could give some help. Normally I try the roll call but since so few of us are on those for non US cruises, trying my luck here?

It says we arrive at 6AM Sydney, does anyone know if a 12:00PM flight is catchable assuming no special priority disembarkation or would we need that?

Lastly, I have seen reviews that the 8th floor being aboe Bliss is a horrible level. Are there any other places that would not be recommended to book?

Thanks!

Yi

I have sailed on Jewel twice, both times on Deck 8 near the aft elevators. No noise at all and very handy to O'Sheehans.  Over the nightclub might be noisy though. 

Is your departing flight domestic or international?  No problem for a noon domestic flight but you haven't much wriggle room for international. We had a medical emergency after leaving Auckland which delayed arrival in Sydney by 2 hours.  That is why you need to allow extra time for flights.  I would suggest 1pm earliest for an international flight, but 2pm onwards for peace of mind.

Most ports you can walk around at leisure.  Wellington has the boardwalks and Te Papa museum. There is a great playground along the boardwalk. Or just take the funicular and walk down through the botanic gardens. There is a playground halfway down as well as the duck pond.

Enjoy your cruise.  Carol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, Port Power said:

I have sailed on Jewel twice, both times on Deck 8 near the aft elevators. No noise at all and very handy to O'Sheehans.  Over the nightclub might be noisy though. 

Is your departing flight domestic or international?  No problem for a noon domestic flight but you haven't much wriggle room for international. We had a medical emergency after leaving Auckland which delayed arrival in Sydney by 2 hours.  That is why you need to allow extra time for flights.  I would suggest 1pm earliest for an international flight, but 2pm onwards for peace of mind.

Most ports you can walk around at leisure.  Wellington has the boardwalks and Te Papa museum. There is a great playground along the boardwalk. Or just take the funicular and walk down through the botanic gardens. There is a playground halfway down as well as the duck pond.

Enjoy your cruise.  Carol

HI there, We are on the 20th of December cruise, however we did the Jewel last Christmas and stayed on level 8, we had no issues and its really convenient to O'Sheehans were we had breakfast most mornings to avoid the queues in the buffet. We are staying on level 8 again this year.  Have a great cruise. 

7 hours ago, mgreally123 said:

HI there, We are on the 20th of December cruise, however we did the Jewel last Christmas and stayed on level 8, we had no issues and its really convenient to O'Sheehans were we had breakfast most mornings to avoid the queues in the buffet. We are staying on level 8 again this year.  Have a great cruise. 

I am not on a cruise on Norwegian Jewel.  I was responding to another cruisers query because I have been on the ship before to New Zealand and have stayed on deck 8 twice.