Best Lobster roll

kaffybear

Red's Eats on Water Street in Wiscasset' date=' Maine.[/quote']

Grew up in New England and spend each summer in Maine, and Red's definately has the very best lobster rolls up there!! Now my stomach is rumbling.....:D

There was a special on some TV channel (maybe Travel channel) about Lobster in New England.

They said that McDonalds in some coastal towns had a special Lobster Roll. While I'm certain it does not compare to the ones listed above, it might prove and interesting comparison (since the manager was shown making it and insisting it was real local lobster)!

There was a special on some TV channel (maybe Travel channel) about Lobster in New England.

They said that McDonalds in some coastal towns had a special Lobster Roll. While I'm certain it does not compare to the ones listed above, it might prove and interesting comparison (since the manager was shown making it and insisting it was real local lobster)!

It wasn't until I moved out of New England that I discovered that not all McDonald's in the country serve lobster rolls in the summer!!

Could never bring myself to try one, but I don't think they could get away with using anything but real lobster!

Yes, New England McD's do serve lobster rolls in the summer, but they are baaad!!! They use frozen lobster, which has the consistency of chewing gum.

You could, of course, come to my house :), but Red's is only about 15 miles down the road and they are famous for their lobster roll. Unfortunately, the cruise doesn't go anywhere near Wiscasset. You'll have to settle for Bar Harbor. There are only about a zillion places to choose from there. What you want to ask is if the roll is 100% lobster meat (as opposed to mixed with that yucky seafood salad stuff :( ) and if it is all lobster, not lobster salad, which is mixed with mayo and celery.

Reds gets my vote too. But a close second is at Barnacle Billie's in Ogunquit, ME. I don't think any ships stop there, but they do stop in Portland which is about an hour and a half from Ogunquit. And Reds is up near Boothbay Harbor...ships don't stop there either. But from my experience, you will find a good lobster roll anywhere in Maine. Crab roll too. And blueberry pie. MMMMM!

We were thinking of a New England cruise this fall, but have opted to "fly and drive" we will be spending 2 weeks in New England. I am busy writing down all of your wonderful suggestions for the best lobster roll....we may try them all!!!

We were thinking of a New England cruise this fall, but have opted to "fly and drive" we will be spending 2 weeks in New England. I am busy writing down all of your wonderful suggestions for the best lobster roll....we may try them all!!!

Try this site: http://www.visitmaine.com. Lots of valuable info. Let me know if I can be of help.

Here's my best advice- Avoid fancy restaurants. You won't find local people there. They're eating their lobster/lobster rolls/lobster stew at a picnic table outside some ricky-ticky place that looks like a good wind would blow it over :)

If you do get to Boothbay Harbor, opt for the Cabbage Island cruise and clambake. Best deal going!

Newick's at Dover Point, Dover, ME (N.H.-Maine border)

I think you are thinking of Kittery Point in Kittery,ME, which is just across the bridge from Portsmouth, NH. (although I was not aware that there is a Newick's there. Could be, tho). Dover, NH is a bit inland from Portsmouth, not on the coast at all, and Dover, Maine is a tiny town on the Boothbay peninsula along Maine's mid-coast. Dover-Foxcroft, ME is well inland, halfway to Baxter State Park. Neither has a Newick's.

Here's my best advice- Avoid fancy restaurants. You won't find local people there. They're eating their lobster/lobster rolls/lobster stew at a picnic table outside some ricky-ticky place that looks like a good wind would blow it over :)

If you do get to Boothbay Harbor, opt for the Cabbage Island cruise and clambake. Best deal going!

Will second that. Have been to many clambakes; now as good as Cabbage Island. Also we had wonderful lobster rolls at some ricky-ticky place with a couple of picnic tables down the road from the expensives places in Boothbay. Don't remember it's name and wonder if it's still there.

Anyone who likes lobster rolls and has a port stop in Halifax should try Salty's on the waterfront, next to an overcrowded food court. Looks like it might be a tourist trap, but when I was there plenty of locals all eating inside, leaving the deck to the tourists. Pure lobster, but the waitress will offer mayo or butter if you look like a landlubber.

Will second that. Have been to many clambakes; now as good as Cabbage Island. Also we had wonderful lobster rolls at some ricky-ticky place with a couple of picnic tables down the road from the expensives places in Boothbay. Don't remember it's name and wonder if it's still there.

I suspect you went to Robinson's Wharf in Southport, and, yes, it's still there. It is a working lobster pound, always the best place to enjoy lobster.

What's a lobster roll?

:D Pretty much, God's gift to mankind. :D

That being said, a lobster roll is lobster picked out of the shell (tail, claws, body meat), mixed with a little bit of mayonaise, served on a hot dog roll (traditionally) or a sub roll (to hold more meat).

Extremely yummy.

We make lobster rolls when we have lobsters left over (we always order more than we can eat so that we have lobster for lobster rolls the next day).

Anyone helding to New England must experience this!

jrobinso -- if your route takes you by or through the following:

Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove & Red's both get high marks on Chowhound.

Maine Diner Lobster Pie is a must. You can check their web site.

In Freeport, try the Pub Room at the Harraseeket Inn on Main Street. Great Lobster Bisque!

Chauncy Creek is in Kittery, great lobster in the rough tho

"Dinner on Sunday night at Damariscotta River Grill. The sauteed lobster with champagne, garlic butter, chives, and lemon over fettucine was divine. The pear cranberry bread pudding with bourbon butterscoth sauce topped with sliced almonds and a dollop of whipped cream is worth a lengthy drive. It used to be a seasonal dessert but due to popular demand it's on the "permanent" dessert menu.

In terms of baked goods, Atlantic Baking and Brown Bag on Main Street in Rockland are superb. Atlantic Baking has lots of muffins with fresh fruit. Scallion and bacon scones top-notch. Brown Bag's large selection of breads, cakes, cookies is impressive. The Market Basket on Rt. 1 in Rockport also has a full array of pies, cookies, pastries, and all manner of baked goods. Their selection changes on a daily basis. The breakfast foccacia in particular is memorable baked with fresh veggies and eggs." from report on Chowhound, New England section.

Mr. Green & JXOPF

Lobster Roll = hot dog roll & lobster. If hot lobster, roll has melted butter on it & I prefer my roll lightly toasted and the lobster a mix of sweet claw & tail. If cold, roll has mayo on it. Neither should have either the butter or mayo overwhelm the lobster. Non-"pure" version has lobster/celery mix. Any version with any non-lobster substitute is fraud -- actually even having that in the same kitchen is verbotin! and, it should go without saying, the lobster must be New England lobster & Maine lobster tops that group.

By the way, I have never seen this offered on a cruise ship & have the impression that most lobster served on board is actually the poor cuz - a Carribean version. (but certainly enjoyable in that venue!)

thanks alot MHS4, we will be in Bar Harbor 3 nights and Freeport 1 night where is the Damariscotta River Grill? I will actually be in Freeport on my birthday....any special places there? I know you mentioned Harraseeket Inn.

Jan

Archived