Maximum Pregnancy weeks allowed for cruise

Kendallkat2

My niece and her husband would like to take a "Last time as a childless couple" cruise the end of June. They have to go the end of June because my niece is a school teacher. She would be ~ 34 weeks pregnant by then. She is due the beginning of August. They already found out that they couldn't go on a Norweigan Cruise. Wondering if anyone knows the policy for any of the other cruise lines.

Thanks,

I think its 26 weeks; mainly because of the limited medical facilities but not sure if it varies by cruise lines. There was another thread on this topic so you might try a search - there was also mention made about a drs. release if beyond the 26 weeks but even with that, I don't think the baby will wait.

I think she will be out of luck for cruises. Most cruise lines will not allow you to cruise if, by the end of the cruise, they have entered their 27th week.

Perhaps they can find another destination, closer to home, to take that one last "fling" before the baby comes. Preferrably one close to a medical center that can handle emergency pre-term births.

There is not one cruise line that will allow her to cruise that late in the pregnancy. All cruise lines are either 24 or 26 weeks, and at 34 weeks, she's too far along. Many things can happen to a pregnant woman in the last trimester, and cruise ships are not at all equipped to handle any of that kind of emergency. That's why they have that rule.

Carnival will not let you sail if you are past 26 weeks. (I had to check this because my daughter is pregnant and will be 23 weeks when we go.) When we spoke to her doctor about it he said that sure she could go but not after 32 weeks.

Another thing her doctor told her too was for seasickness to take Dramamine. He told her that on the label it will say for her not to take it but that it would be fine. Just ask a dr before taking.

Even if it's tempting to lie about how far along she is (and very few people look 24 weeks at 34), please don't do it. I'm a labor nurse, and we treat a lot of women who have started contracting do to a urinary tract infection or dehydration (like from major seasickness). And a premature birth in the middle of nowhere is no one's idea of a fun trip.

What about going over spring break?

Has your niece spoken to her personal physician? I doubt her personal physician would agree to cruising at that stage of pregnancy. I, too, am a labor & delivery nurse and I would advise she not cruise during her 3rd trimester. Maybe a trip stateside where reliable medical care is available would be an option for them. So many issues can come up that without expert treatment would endanger her and her baby. For me personally, I wouldn't cruise during a pregnancy at all. It's just not worth the risk.

Here's question on the other end, How old should an infant be before going on a cruise?

Minimum ages depend on which cruise line you are sailing. Some will take them as young as 4 months, others 6 months, for more exotic itineraries it can be as old as a year before they are allowed to cruise. Other than the cruise line's limit, I would say it would depend on the temperment of the child, how well they handle traveling, and what kind of expectations you have about the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also an OB nurse, and have done many air transports of mothers who have gone into preterm labor on cruises. You definitely do NOT want to have a premature baby in some of these ports-of-call!

Better to plan a land-based vacation in your third trimester...and close to home!

Archived