Yellow fever vaccine

Sdbulla

On 8/21/2019 at 11:35 PM, Shawnino said:

If you are over 60 please consult your family doctor and perhaps a properly qualified immunologist before deciding to get this vaccine.

We lost a top researcher this year to the YF vaccine:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/11/top-cancer-scientist-prof-martin-gore-dies-after-rare-reaction-to-yellow-fever-vaccination

As someone who must travel unvaccinated, I depend on "the herd" being vaccinated for my own immunity, but I do hope everyone is careful and makes a very informed decision. 

One of my closest friends is a Family Doctor and recommended my husband and I both got the yellow fever vaccine before we are 60 for this reason. We had to explain to our new Dr (we have move to a rural area) and he didn’t want to do it, wanted to wait until we were going somewhere we had to have it...until he looked up the latest research and was more than happy to do it while our risk was low. 

We paid the retail price of the vaccine in Australia (around US$80) but our health fund reimbursed all but about US$30. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3littlepigs said:

One of my closest friends is a Family Doctor and recommended my husband and I both got the yellow fever vaccine before we are 60 for this reason. We had to explain to our new Dr (we have move to a rural area) and he didn’t want to do it, wanted to wait until we were going somewhere we had to have it...until he looked up the latest research and was more than happy to do it while our risk was low. 

We paid the retail price of the vaccine in Australia (around US$80) but our health fund reimbursed all but about US$30. 

The undercurrent of your note is especially important: you dealt with two doctors, who dealt with the research, and you collectively made an informed decision based on the science.

From time to time I see threads on here that are essentially "anybody know which jabs I should maybe get?" and it's frightening to me that people would take medical advice to heart from a cruise forum.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, Sdbulla said:

Has anyone used Passport Health to get their yellow fever vaccine? Looking for info about the overall experience.

Checked with Passport Health and everything could be done a lot cheaper.

Check with your County Health and some local chain Pharmacy's.

As I've noted, I've done my research. I'm only looking for an opinion from someone who has actually been to Passport Health as I have had no experience with them. Thanks for your input though. 

Nobody can just waltz into a clinic and say, "Gee, I read on the internet that I should get the yellow fever vaccine, so give it to me." You have to go to a travel clinic and get it, and to do that you have to be seen by a professional who goes over your situation, your medical history, your risk and makes recommendations. 

Chain pharmacies do not have yellow fever vaccine. Some health departments do, but not in every state.

You CAN go a chain pharmacy and get, say, TDAP or Hep A, but they are much more benign (not a live virus) and you will still have to fill out a form giving them some history and answering questions, and if they don't like your answers, you won't get the shot.

What IS good about these threads is that it's very helpful to know in advance that under most circumstances, right now, in the US, yellow fever vaccine (Stamaril) is gonna cost a bundle. One exception to that seems to be those who have Kaiser, but that isn't me.