NCL price now cheaper than TA

Firepath

We are new to cruising so I don't know how this all works. We booked through a TA a month or so ago. The price for our category thru NCL is now the same as what we paid but includes free "open bar." Not sure what that exactly means because I also see "beverage package" is available. We are still a bit over 60 days out. We are getting OBC from the TA also. If I wanted to, could I get the "open bar" since it is now free at the same price I already paid? Would I have to give up the OBC? I also have a bid in for an upgrade that is pending. I'm confused about all this. I see mention of no changes after "final payment date," but we paid in full to TA so I assume that's just when booking directly through NCL. How many days out is the final payment due to NCL just out of curiosity?

Edited by Firepath

Final payment pertains to the cruise booking and will be the same if booked directly through NCL or a TA. If your booking is handled by a TA then all activity must go through the TA. I am also a TA and I would suggest you call your TA and they will go over your booking and answer all your questions. You may get misinformation from posters here as they do not know the promos under which you booked.

with that said...enjoy your first cruise. May this be the first of many!!!!

Also, be aware that the "free" open bar will actually cost you some money.  When it is added to a cruise as a promo, the passenger still must pay for a gratuities on those drinks.  This gratuity amount is calculated as 18% (I think) of what the package price would have been had you purchased it.  No matter how many drinks you actually drink.  So it is a substantial amount.  It still MIGHT be worthwhile to you, depending on how many drinks you drink per day.  But I wanted to make sure you were aware of this cost that you didn't mention in your original posting.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

On 7 day cruises and longer, final payment is due 120 days before sailing for NCL and most Travel Agencies.  There are some agencies that set it longer - we had a 5 month final due last year but the perks were worth it.

"Free at Sea" has been offered almost always on rooms that are not "sail away"  categories.  Meaning if you choose your cabin, you would get to choose one or more of the Free At Sea deals.  The fact that you didn't probably means you had a group booking or some other special booking code.  

Once final payment is made, you can't generally change your deal when a better one comes along.  But if the price drops a lot, or has a major new feature, some people have had success getting a change made with NCL or getting their TA to go to bat and get it.  

Call and ask... it doesn't hurt to do that at least!