Travel Insurance re: car rentals

heydn62

It's not clear to me if travel insurance covers car rentals outside the US. I'll be renting a car for a day in Cozumel. Should I take the collision policy with the rental company.

Travelex has a rental car policy, but it's vague and says it's covered if rented by your travel agent.

Anyone here ever have to make a claim or have other input?

Call your private insurance company that covers your cars at home and see if your rental is covered. And you ABSOLUTELY NEED insurance for Mexico. Also, don't go far off the beaten path. It's well documented that Mexican police target vacationers in rental cars for shake downs. I know of one family where the police planted drugs in the trunk of their rental car (it was a huge story in the Arizona papers as the family was from the area), they arrested the driver and they had to pay a huge fine. Be careful when renting a car anywhere in Mexico.

We've rented jeeps/cars on several week long dive trips to Cozumel with no problem. Most all of the vehicles, though, are stick, not automatic, so make sure one person in your group knows how to drive those! We do not take out the car insurance as our own car insurance covers us. Just check with your agent - they can tell you quickly. They confirmed we were even covered in Spain on a trip there. Cozumel is a very easy island to drive around. Be careful on the back part of the island as the roads may not be completely fixed since the hurricane. It is fun to drive around the whole island and see everything - bars, beaches, the ruins. Just never leave anything valuable in your vehicle. We've never had any problems with parking or police. Cozumel is VERY tourist-friendly.

Renting a car in Cozumel is the best way to get away from the hordes of tourists on the island. There are so many beautiful hidden beaches, restaurants, shops on the other side of the island.

Regardless of whether your insurance company or credit card covers you for insurance the bottom line is you are not going to the island until the damages are paid. If you purchase the additional insurance from the island rental agency, it's a non-issue. If your using your own insurance you better hope your insurance company has an office on the island because you'll be sticking around until payment arrives. ;)

Archived