Suggestions for First European Cruise

SCGirl3211

My two cents....

I took my first Mediterranean cruise in 2005 and my first Baltic cruise in 2006.

Since then I have been back to the Mediterranean 9 more times. While I enjoyed the Baltic cruise, I don't have a strong desire to go back. That's not to say the Baltic cruise isn't great; I just think there is a lot more breadth and depth of things to see and do in the Med.

I will also concur that the best plan is to start and finish your cruise in two different ports, setting aside some time to spend in each. Multi-city fares are not the same as one-way fares and the cost should be pretty comparable to flying in and out of the same city, at least for most of the major European start/end points for these cruises.

5 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

I'd be reluctant to suggest Carnival to them, but that is based on my impression of the line. I almost got them to try a short Disney cruise for their anniversary, but they opted for the Big Apple instead....

They had fleeting thoughts about finding a cruise with a stop in Barbados since they lived there for about 4 years but are spending time there + St. Lucia and another island over the holidays.

Some day....

Hey, I said it could be disastrous, but definitely worth a mention.  Our little cruise on Carnival out of Charleston was very tame.  The timing has all to do with whether a cruise will be tame or not.    Charleston mostly sees a different vibe of passengers sailing out of the port.  And don't sail during school holidays. 

Our first 2 cruises were with Disney almost 20 years ago.  Those got us hooked on cruising.  Then we tried Carnival.  Worked for us with our teenagers.  Back then, passengers were well behaved, and dressed nicely.  On to our first Celebrity cruise which all in the family enjoyed. Then we hopped over to RCCL for several years.  HAL and others in between before settling on Celebrity almost exclusively.   We have had no desire to sail on RCCL again.  And frankly, Celebrity is starting to lose our loyalty.  I hear that Disney is coming out with a new ship.

5 hours ago, ghstudio said:

If you're going to do a "try this" cruise from the US....please don't try carnival, msc or norwegian, especially not a 7 day or less cruise which can be a horror  for some with kids, drinking, bare chest contests, etc....unless you know folks would like that...."let your hair down and party" type of cruiuse.  I think your best bet would be royal caribbean which offers a nice combination of relaxation with activities and good shows.  Celebrity is more lay back...and not everyone's cup of tea.  RCL is a safer bet for a "first" cruise...and if the indication is that there's too much "rah rah" stuff, then the second cruise should be Princess or Celebrity.  

Well, enough of this.  Getting off the subject.  Hope the OP comes back to tell us what they have decided.  🙂

Edited by Iamthesea

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions and expertise! We will definitely sail with Celebrity.  We couldn't decide between a British Isles cruise and a Baltic cruise so we are going to book both when we  board the Silhouette in 25 days!! Who said making decisions is hard?!?

Sorry but am I the only one who is surprised at people from the USA worrying about pickpockets in Europe? According to the news we get, you are more likely to get shot in the USA than have your purse stolen in Europe.

See how new media can create mass hysteria?

• Haha 1