Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

1 minute ago, gizmoneil said:

I am more concerned about coming back to Hurrican ravaged Florida. I am more worried about where does the cruise go to if Bahamas is in imminent path for Friday/Saturday?

Small area will take the impact usually. You can drive to area that has all the amenities. Here is what several lines are doing    https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4381/

24 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

I didn't book flights through NCL but I bought their travel protection. Is that the travel insurance you speak of?

Yes. Get the details saved on your phone so you have them.

11 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

Weather is hot and sunny in Orlando (well it was today earlier). It will be fine until hurricane gets much much closer. Surf will pick up as the days go by. Tomorrow at 4 will be a lovely sail away. I have sailed when hurricanes are out "there". The ship will move where the storm is not. Take sea sick prevention pills (I take Bonine) before any motion. My entire family has been fine!  

Listen to pjs she is right!

6 minutes ago, g_deol88 said:

Is it likely Port Canaveral will be closed Sunday?

At this point I would say yes and under evacuation.  But that could still chance over the next day or two before confidence in the landfall path is reached.

5 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

I am more concerned about coming back to Hurrican ravaged Florida. I am more worried about where does the cruise go to if Bahamas is in imminent path for Friday/Saturday?

They will bring you back somewhere they can get you home, even if that is another port such as Miami or Fort Lauderdale.  Where it goes... well that is the adventure.  You might have a longer trip than planned so be ready for that possibility.

It will be OK. Really!  Be flexible and they will look after you. My sister is on an NCL right now. They will put an island between you and the storm. Florida has 4 ports and if they needed to bus you from another port-ONLY if they HAD to-they would. Storms keep moving 24/7. It only the very center of the eye that has the highest winds. Move out from that area and there isn't very much of anything. Worst case scenario, they would keep you on board a little bit longer. Load any app that lets you rebook flights. But my guess is that you will not need it. 

3 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

It will be OK. Really!  Be flexible and they will look after you. My sister is on an NCL right now. They will put an island between you and the storm. Florida has 4 ports and if they needed to bus you from another port-ONLY if they HAD to-they would. Storms keep moving 24/7. It only the very center of the eye that has the highest winds. Move out from that area and there isn't very much of anything. Worst case scenario, they would keep you on board a little bit longer. Load any app that lets you rebook flights. But my guess is that you will not need it. 

just in case the Harmony comes back into another port instead of Port Canaveral, Will they depart from that port or wait till PC is open?

2 minutes ago, g_deol88 said:

just in case the Harmony comes back into another port instead of Port Canaveral, Will they depart from that port or wait till PC is open?

Case by case decision.  We've seen ships temporarily change ports when there was a reason, and we've seen the ship take a day to move back.

Just now, g_deol88 said:

PC would be open quickly after the storm moves through if it comes to that area. This is the frustration of hurricanes. The not knowing of where and when until things get much closer. 

19 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Case by case decision.  We've seen ships temporarily change ports when there was a reason, and we've seen the ship take a day to move back.

Thanks for all the info Bill 

18 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

PC would be open quickly after the storm moves through if it comes to that area. This is the frustration of hurricanes. The not knowing of where and when until things get much closer. 

Yes just trying to plan ahead but I guess I just need to wait and see. 

22 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

Hi, do you think it would still be able to open quickly if it is a direct impact? We are planned to sail Harmony out of PC 9/1. Pretty much certain that sailing Sunday is not going to happen, but I wonder about the rest of the week. Sounds crazy to think I’m going to be flying to a state Friday that has been declared a state of emergency. 

1 minute ago, Traciewatson said:

Hi, do you think it would still be able to open quickly if it is a direct impact? We are planned to sail Harmony out of PC 9/1. Pretty much certain that sailing Sunday is not going to happen, but I wonder about the rest of the week. Sounds crazy to think I’m going to be flying to a state Friday that has been declared a state of emergency. 

You are in the cone of uncertainty for sure.  Remember the core if the storm isn't very big - catastrophic damage will only happen in a narrow band unless the storm stalls and moves very slowly.  So hang in there.  The state of emergency is designed to activate emergency teams and resources and begin evacuation planning - but they don't know where that will happen yet... could be anywhere up and down the Florida coast.

1 minute ago, Traciewatson said:

27 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Pelican Bill and I might start a fan club of each other! I agree with him. It would have to march right up the ship's channel to make a mess of the area. Possible but not all that likely. TV around here is showing a little bit further left turn. TOO SOON TO TELL. The whole state by the way will not even know a hurricane came through. The small area where the storm first touches is where you will see damage. The rest of us will just continue to complain about how hot it is.. and the rain from normal rainstorms. This is where the category of the storm becomes important. This is not an Andrew, Hugo, etc. That is a whole different ballgame. It is also why you pay attention to the news for updates.

4 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Will Florida declaring a State of Emergency affect flights coming in at all? 

Nope.

Each Airport authority makes its own decisions, and each airline decides when they will and won't fly.

The state of emergency does two things:

1. Activates emergency centers and resources

2. Starts evacuation planning

Edited by PelicanBill

3 minutes ago, JenTX4NYC said:

The 8pm update looks like All FL ports are in danger now.... no?

That simply reflects the extra caution everyone is now taking that there is still time for the path to change, and minor changes means the entire coast of Florida is still at risk.

I would not expect big changes. But little ones have been happening for days and could still happen the next 2 days before we see the a specific area get the main focus of risk... and evacuations will start there.  Wherever that is, you could see tropical storm force winds 50 miles to each side easily, and maybe more, if it remains category 3 at landfall.

7 minutes ago, JenTX4NYC said:

The 8pm update looks like All FL ports are in danger now.... no?

Oh - and remember that big circle you see on the static path chart?  That is not the storm size or impact assessment.  It is the area of POTENTIAL impact based on the variation we can see in where it actually lands that far away.  That circle will always be large at 4-5 days out because of uncertainty.

10 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

That simply reflects the extra caution everyone is now taking that there is still time for the path to change, and minor changes means the entire coast of Florida is still at risk.

I would not expect big changes. But little ones have been happening for days and could still happen the next 2 days before we see the a specific area get the main focus of risk... and evacuations will start there.  Wherever that is, you could see tropical storm force winds 50 miles to each side easily, and maybe more, if it remains category 3 at landfall.

Thank you so much for the info I have been lost! So 2 days before probably puts us at having a relatively good idea where it will hit sometime late Friday into early Saturday. Sadly I will already be in Orlando by then. I’m your honest opinion (of course won’t hold you to it) do you think it’s going to make a direct impact on PC? Also what chance do you think there is of RCCL cancelling Friday or Saturday? Hate to fly all the way there to be told not going, but want to be there just in case. I really appreciate all the help

I am getting on here. 

32 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Nope.

Each Airport authority makes its own decisions, and each airline decides when they will and won't fly.

The state of emergency does two things:

1. Activates emergency centers and resources

2. Starts evacuation planning

31 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

no-Each airport will be very different

Thank you! I wish hotels would allow more last minute cancellations. I’m really only worried about being prepared to get stuck in Florida for a few days.

5 minutes ago, Traciewatson said:

Thank you so much for the info I have been lost! So 2 days before probably puts us at having a relatively good idea where it will hit sometime late Friday into early Saturday. Sadly I will already be in Orlando by then. I’m your honest opinion (of course won’t hold you to it) do you think it’s going to make a direct impact on PC? Also what chance do you think there is of RCCL cancelling Friday or Saturday? Hate to fly all the way there to be told not going, but want to be there just in case. I really appreciate all the help

I am getting on here. 

Best guess at this point is the storm coming on land Monday afternoon. Affecting a 40 mile wide area at the coast starting on Sunday afternoon. Outside of that area, it will be mostly sunny with a slight breeze if any. My absolute pure GUESS at this point is not a direct hit on PC. Cruise lines rarely cancel. The storm could hit anywhere from south Florida to Georgia. Those "spaghetti lines" show a possible path that a different weather agency has predicted. They just aren't very dependable at this point.

Just a bit of caution, when watching all the news reports. The "cone" is one thing, but you need to look at the Satellite pictures to see how large of an area the storm covers. We (in FL) are being told the *eye* is coming in near Melbourne (kinda close to Port Canaveral) but our power trucks are already out and about, getting things prepared. After your flights land, just take caution when driving. We drive wild on a normal day down here. (And please don't drive with your caution lights on because...that's not going to go good for you). 

If you are cruising this weekend, you are going to get wet. We were already forecasted to have storms all weekend anyway.

Honestly, I don't think ports will be missed, because it looks like most got skimmed except maybe Nassau. We've missed ports for less weather. (We don't cruise to see places because you really can't in a day, but I understand some of you may.) 

Take sea sick medicine if you get sea sick easily. And don't worry about returning to a ravaged Florida. I'm 5th generation Floridian with a bit of Bahamian and we honestly know how to deal with this sorta thing. Just relax and enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The storm moves forward at a rate of maybe 10-12 mph. It does it 24/7. Usually,  airports are up and running very quickly. Several years ago, Charlie came right through the Orlando airport area. Flipped a couple small planes on the ground and broke a glass wall at the terminal. Barely affected travel. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Traciewatson said:

Having never been in any kind of major storm (I live in Arizona) can I ask any of you that have to help me. I’m not only worried about my cruise anymore I’m more worried about taking my

kids to a place that has a CAT 3 Hurricane on its way. Have a hotel at cocoa beach should we move more inland? What do you do?

Cocoa Beach is on a island and at a low elevation.  If the hurricane is a danger to the area you will be told to evacuate and go inland.  The causeways get closed once it is dangerous to cross them.   The causeways start out not much above sea level and could l be over washed.  Once they are closed you can't get off the island.