Gluten Free Options

rosemark55

We are sailing on the Jewel to Alaska and one need gluten free meals due to Celiac disease.  Has anyone requested Gluten Free meals? Were they satisfactory?  I did request GF when booking and was also advised to let the servers know at the time of ordering. Thanks in advance!

On the Jade in July I dined a few times with a mother and daughter who required a gluten free diet.  They really enjoyed the meals, the servers always made good suggestions for alternatives for items that weren’t even shown on the menu, especially concerning desserts or having entrees prepared a different way.

• Like 1

I am both gluten and lactose intolerant, have been 3 holidays on the Jade and the Jewel: just great. NCL will send you a form to fill in, the next step is to speak to the maitre d’ after boarding, we usually have lunch after boarding in the MDR open that day, this is the safest way.

We were assigned one or more special diets waiters, they were very helpful in letting us know what I could eat, and organising our meals in the restaurants where we dining the next evening. For breakfast we would eat in O’Sheehans (this is risky for coeliac due to very small kitchen space) or the mdr, lunch in the mdr or buffet (the buffet can be an issue if you don’t check the content of dishes but they will bring you food from kitchen) and dinner prebooked. For coeliac I would recommend eating in the mdr or specialty restaurants. Also, if the food is not actually served to you by the special diets waiter check and double check it is gluten free. Also probably best to avoid room service.

I also take on df chocolate and snacks (prepackaged) for excursions. I don’t get much in the way of desserts or cake etc on NCL, but they are very helpful. Coeliacs who are not lactose intolerant will have an easier time with desserts. 

But overall I think NCL is best large cruise line we’ve been on recently for gf, and special diets generally.

And, we loved the Jewel, both the Jade and her are lovely ships with a great crew, and for special diets it is the crew who make your cruise. 

• Like 1