tampa cruisers - feedback requested

havanadaydreaming

Hey gang, we're looking at booking an (overpriced) day after Xmas cruise our of tampa with (overpriced) airfare departing 9:22am day of debarkation. my eldest son is headed to Guantanamo next year and this is our last opportunity to get the herd together for a family trip, so we're trying every option to make this short cruise a reality.    thoughts?

my wife is Platinum carnival so that will allow us priority debarkation, which we've never used.

ive spent much time in Tampa but have never flown to TPA.  I know the airport is close but wonder how TSA is at that airport.  Busy?  Empty?  the 922am flight home is on a discount airline and happens to be the only flight that's under $450pp that works for our travel party's schedule (my daughter has commitment at university later that evening, we need morning flight)

thanks!!!

I would agree with other posters.  While security is pretty good at the airport, there are many other reasons why you might be delayed with debarkation.  Fog can be an issue at that time of year.  We were delayed a few hours in January a couple of years back.  Just don't know.....

Hope you can get that herd together and have an awesome cruise.  :classic_smile:

As others have mentioned, fog is a big issue at the port that time of year. We have cruised out of Tampa twice in the December - January time frame. Both times fog significantly impacted our cruise. The first time our cruise was delayed by an entire day.bThe second time, which was a Christmas cruise on Miracle last year, we didn’t get to the port until around 7:30 PM. 

thanks everyone.  I had no idea about Tampa fog, so I think this flight is out. 

I was semi-desperate and considering risking it but.... nah.  

(deep background: we used an online flight search engine that I wasn't familiar with to book original flight.   about 8 hours later I received an email stating please call regarding booking.  Left a voice mail on generic box and didn't hear back so I called again.  it turns out the search company had an issue with the airline listed and stated we'd have to "wait" until they can resolve it with the airline.   it's now 10 days later, still not finalized, and im starting to scramble to find other options!)

Just a thought but....have you checked out other airports  that are within a reasonable amount of driving time.  Try looking at Orlando and Ft Meyers.  Drive time is maybe 2 or 3 hours but sometimes there are better flights leaving on different airlines.  Just a suggestion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 1:10 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

thanks everyone.  I had no idea about Tampa fog, so I think this flight is out. 

I was semi-desperate and considering risking it but.... nah.  

(deep background: we used an online flight search engine that I wasn't familiar with to book original flight.   about 8 hours later I received an email stating please call regarding booking.  Left a voice mail on generic box and didn't hear back so I called again.  it turns out the search company had an issue with the airline listed and stated we'd have to "wait" until they can resolve it with the airline.   it's now 10 days later, still not finalized, and im starting to scramble to find other options!)

You could book air through cruise line. We have done that many times with fair comparable to doing on our own. If cruise line  is significantly higher, I always counter "I see a fare for...." with them and can get it lower.