If hurricanes to come are like Irma and Maria...

darcyrmt

My wife and I are taking our first cruise out of San Juan 11/17.. she's been on one before, but I worked on ships for three years so I know the routine that the hurricanes are in the fall.  I'm pretty confident that we will be ok since our itinerary goes way to the south, and the season is mostly finished by November.  Anyway, my question is:  Hurricanes Irma and Maria just crushed Puerto Rico 2 years ago - how long did it take for the port to recover and start embarking again?  If Dorian or others to come cause a lot of damage now, is a couple of months enough time to recover before we get there in November?  thanks to all..

1 hour ago, darcyrmt said:

My wife and I are taking our first cruise out of San Juan 11/17.. she's been on one before, but I worked on ships for three years so I know the routine that the hurricanes are in the fall.  I'm pretty confident that we will be ok since our itinerary goes way to the south, and the season is mostly finished by November.  Anyway, my question is:  Hurricanes Irma and Maria just crushed Puerto Rico 2 years ago - how long did it take for the port to recover and start embarking again?  If Dorian or others to come cause a lot of damage now, is a couple of months enough time to recover before we get there in November?  thanks to all..

Irma went to the north of Puerto Rico, so there wasn't much damage.  IIRC, the port was closed one day and reopened a day or two later.  Maria, of course, was a different story.  Getting back to normal after Maria was a long, slow process.  The airport reopened a few days later and they slowly let more and more flights land.  The port itself was an interesting story.  About 2 weeks after Maria rolled through, one of Royal Caribbean's ships tried to embark from San Juan.  It turned out well enough, and the other lines servicing San Juan eventually came back.

Dorian seemed to have caused minimal damage to Puerto Rico (the U.S Virgin Islands were hit much harder), so I'm sure it's fine now.  It's situation-dependent to judge how much time is enough to recover after any hurricane hits.