Shore ex Pompeii and enchanting Sorrento

simpson168

Is this the excursion that also includes Positano?  As we have done that one twice now.  It was a great way to see a lot of places/things in one day.  The only complaint we had was that there were a couple of stops that were just to have you purchase things?  I.E. in Sorrento, you will probably be forced to stop in a store that sells inlaid wood tables and other items....and on the way there is a Limoncello bottling place.....I could have done without both of these and enjoyed more time in Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano.  But again, one way to see a lot and there is also the comfort of being on an excursion from NCL which assures you of not being left behind, etc.

You may want to consider this tour with a private company. We booked all our tours in Italy with a company called "All around Italy"  

They are extremely affordable and do an amazing job! You go with a small group, so you get a much more intimate, involved tour. I honestly can no praise them enough. They played a huge roll in making our trip so sensational!!

I also prefer private tours out of Naples.  Besides Pompeii and Hurculaneum there is a lot to see along the Amalfi coast.  Sometimes someone on your roll call will take the lead and book a tour and ask for others to join. We used AP tours on a few occasions in an 8 seater Mercedes Van with others on our cruise.  At Pompeii AP arranged for a private tour guide for there and Hurculaneum (for a fee paid to the guide).  Also you can avoid the annoying stops at businesses taking away from your tour time and have a more enjoyable tour.  Also in a private tour you can ask your driver to stop along the way if there is something interesting to see.

I didn’t do it with NCL, but rather Princess.  It’s possible it’s the same tour company.  But just from the standpoint of the places themselves, I wouldn’t miss a chance to see Sorrento.  Pompeii is cool from an historical standpoint.  I always wished I would have taken the tour up Vesuvious.  The coolest thing about the Pompeii tour will be the facts you get from the guide about the ruins of the city.  Once you’ve seen one or two plaster casts of dead Pompeiians (and that’s all they are, they’re not the actual mummified corpses or anything - the filled the holes left by incinerated victims with plaster) you’ve seen them all.

But as to Sorrento, oh my gosh.  Talk about the quintessential Bay of Naples experience.  I have photos on my walls to this day as art of the corners and crannies we saw there.  I really recommend it.

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

Copy of IMG_3950.JPG

Copy of IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

Yes we did this excersion 5 days ago on the NCL Epic.  It was good but pricier than independent tours. Yes, we were hurded into a shop in Sorrento for some wood inlay viewing! We politely looked about before getting pizza and wine next door at a nice cafe. Our guide, Roberto recommended it.... He was funny and knowledgeable.  We had some free time to walk around.  Pompeii was a bit rushed.  We only saw about a quarter of it, missing the museum totally. Then after a short break at "his niece's lemonade stall" we were hurded to a cameo factory for more "guided shopping".  We didn't get to view Positano. I would recommend the tour if you aren't overly bothered about seeing all of Pompeii.  

On 9/1/2019 at 12:25 PM, Anitah45 said:

Yes we did this excersion 5 days ago on the NCL Epic.  It was good but pricier than independent tours. Yes, we were hurded into a shop in Sorrento for some wood inlay viewing! We politely looked about before getting pizza and wine next door at a nice cafe. Our guide, Roberto recommended it.... He was funny and knowledgeable.  We had some free time to walk around.  Pompeii was a bit rushed.  We only saw about a quarter of it, missing the museum totally. Then after a short break at "his niece's lemonade stall" we were hurded to a cameo factory for more "guided shopping".  We didn't get to view Positano. I would recommend the tour if you aren't overly bothered about seeing all of Pompeii.  

thank you for the tour review. As Pompeii is my main focus I am glad I have time to research other options.