Finally a new NCL sale - but wait...?!?!?!

DaCruiseBug

Finally NCL has come up with something new for a "sale". They took something out of the RCL playbook and are doing the whole 2nd guest gets 50% off.

There's only 1 problem...when you go and look for it, this sale replaces the "free" perks so it's essentially nothing more than a sailaway rate and you have to pay the $900 per person per week for a beverage package. What in the world are they thinking???

Just when I thought NCL is finally doing something that makes sense...they remind me how inept their marketing department is.

Untitled.png

I haven’t seen the deal, but my initial thought based on what you say is that at last there is something for those people who don’t drink (or don’t drink enough to want the beverage package).

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2

Where do you see that promo?  I still see the free at sea promo on the ncl website.

I booked a free at sea cruise, but I'm not a big drinker and don't need the specialty dining, so I'm wondering if this promo might work out better.

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Finally NCL has come up with something new for a "sale". They took something out of the RCL playbook and are doing the whole 2nd guest gets 50% off.

There's only 1 problem...when you go and look for it, this sale replaces the "free" perks so it's essentially nothing more than a sailaway rate and you have to pay the $900 per person per week for a beverage package. What in the world are they thinking???

Just when I thought NCL is finally doing something that makes sense...they remind me how inept their marketing department is.

Untitled.png

wow, do you have anymore complains about NCL. Of course it is new and of course it will replace something. Would you expect them to offer "5 free out sea" and the new sale? As for taking out of RCI don't many businesses copy other businesses? I can name dozens of things that take their clue from another business. By the way, I think I saw this a week or so ago, maybe I am wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

This has been around for a few weeks and expires on Monday.  It's an additional promo, an extra choice.  It's not replacing the standard "freebies'.  

2 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

This has been around for a few weeks and expires on Monday.  It's an additional promo, an extra choice.  It's not replacing the standard "freebies'.  

thanks Cole

Oh, and by the way, it's not available in the U.S. or our friends to the north of us.

OFFER NOT VALID FOR USA, OR CANADA.

Offer: Buy 1st Guest and Get the 2nd Guest 50% off for Oceanviews and above
Booking Window: August 14, 2019 - September 2 2019

Offer valid to Applicable Sailings View Sailings

Promo Code B1G1HO
Offer is not applicable to categories OX, BX or MX (Sail Away Categories).
Offer is not applicable to studio and inside categories.
Discount is taken off voyage fare and NCF.
Offer is for new individual FIT reservations.
Qualifying new individual FIT reservations can be moved into an existing speculative group and count towards tour conductor credits.
Offer is not valid for affinity groups or tour operators and cannot be held as group block.
Singles paying 200% of voyage fare qualify.
Government taxes, port expenses & fees, discretionary on board service charges and/or gratuities are additional.
Cancellation fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings.
Not applicable to chartered dates and group types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE
This is a cruise only offer. This promotion is not applicable on the land portion of cruisetours or bundles.
Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at anytime.
Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply.
Applicable to NCL INTL, AUSTRALIA, NCL BRAZIL, NCL ASIA & NCL MEA only.
This is a lower level promotion.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement without prior notice should the closing price of West Texas Intermediate Fuel increase above $65USD per barrel on the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index). In the event a fuel supplement is charged, Norwegian Cruise Line will have sole discretion to apply the supplementary charge to both existing and new bookings, regardless of whether such bookings have been paid in full. Such supplementary charges are not included in the cruise fare. The fuel supplement charge will not exceed $10.00USD per passenger per day. Norwegian Cruise Line is not responsible for typographical errors or omissions. Ships’ Registry: BAHAMAS and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. ©2019 NCL Corporation Ltd

Edited by ColeThornton

5 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

wow, do you have anymore complains about NCL. Of course it is new and of course it will replace something. Would you expect them to offer "5 free out sea" and the new sale? As for taking out of RCI don't many businesses copy other businesses? I can name dozens of things that take their clue from another business. By the way, I think I saw this a week or so ago, maybe I am wrong. 

The "free" perks has basically become the norm...not really a sale. So yes, i'd expect an actual sale on top of what they normally run. That's the entire point of a sale. When another cruiseline has a Labor Day sale or 4th of July sale etc they don't generally take away what is already the norm...they add onto it. I don't have a problem with NCL copying RCL with the 50% off the 2nd passenger at all. I'm actually happy they're trying something new. I just feel like it's a waste because it doesn't make much sense for at least 3/4 of the customer base. It makes sense for RCL to do it because a beverage package on RCL is $400 for 7 days...not almost $900.

6 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Oh, and by the way, it's not available in the U.S. or our friends to the north of us.

OFFER NOT VALID FOR USA, OR CANADA.

Offer: Buy 1st Guest and Get the 2nd Guest 50% off for Oceanviews and above
Booking Window: August 14, 2019 - September 2 2019

Offer valid to Applicable Sailings View Sailings

Promo Code B1G1HO
Offer is not applicable to categories OX, BX or MX (Sail Away Categories).
Offer is not applicable to studio and inside categories.
Discount is taken off voyage fare and NCF.
Offer is for new individual FIT reservations.
Qualifying new individual FIT reservations can be moved into an existing speculative group and count towards tour conductor credits.
Offer is not valid for affinity groups or tour operators and cannot be held as group block.
Singles paying 200% of voyage fare qualify.
Government taxes, port expenses & fees, discretionary on board service charges and/or gratuities are additional.
Cancellation fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings.
Not applicable to chartered dates and group types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE
This is a cruise only offer. This promotion is not applicable on the land portion of cruisetours or bundles.
Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at anytime.
Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply.
Applicable to NCL INTL, AUSTRALIA, NCL BRAZIL, NCL ASIA & NCL MEA only.
This is a lower level promotion.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement without prior notice should the closing price of West Texas Intermediate Fuel increase above $65USD per barrel on the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index). In the event a fuel supplement is charged, Norwegian Cruise Line will have sole discretion to apply the supplementary charge to both existing and new bookings, regardless of whether such bookings have been paid in full. Such supplementary charges are not included in the cruise fare. The fuel supplement charge will not exceed $10.00USD per passenger per day. Norwegian Cruise Line is not responsible for typographical errors or omissions. Ships’ Registry: BAHAMAS and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. ©2019 NCL Corporation Ltd

That's very odd...since it shows up on the regular NCL US website. (look at the web address). It's also interesting that it actually says "this is a lower level promotion".

I guess it all makes sense now...no way NCL marketing would actually offer up something different. What was I thinking...

1 minute ago, DaCruiseBug said:

That's very odd...since it shows up on the regular NCL US website. (look at the web address). It's also interesting that it actually says "this is a lower level promotion".

I guess it all makes sense now...no way NCL marketing would actually offer up something different. What was I thinking...

You weren't.   Read the T/C's.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The "free" perks has basically become the norm...not really a sale. So yes, i'd expect an actual sale on top of what they normally run. That's the entire point of a sale. When another cruiseline has a Labor Day sale or 4th of July sale etc they don't generally take away what is already the norm...they add onto it. I don't have a problem with NCL copying RCL with the 50% off the 2nd passenger at all. I'm actually happy they're trying something new. I just feel like it's a waste because it doesn't make much sense for at least 3/4 of the customer base. It makes sense for RCL to do it because a beverage package on RCL is $400 for 7 days...not almost $900.

You keep referring to the beverage package. That isn’t something that matters to everyone.

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

You keep referring to the beverage package. That isn’t something that matters to everyone.

You're right it doesn't...that's why in my following post I say that it's at least 3/4 of the customer base...meaning I realize there's some that don't care for it. But thanks for the attempt at the jab, just read my comments entirely first next time.

11 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

and for a lot of people the "free at Sea" doesn't make much sense> they may not drink or not enough to give them any break, they may not have any desire to use the internet on vacation and don't give a darn about $50 per cabin on overpriced tours. Sales always have a catch. How about when you go  to someplace like Kohls and they give you 60% off a piece of clothing that says suggested retail price. We all are bright enough to know the item probably never sold for the "suggest" retail price.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

and for a lot of people the "free at Sea" doesn't make much sense> they may not drink or not enough to give them any break, they may not have any desire to use the internet on vacation and don't give a darn about $50 per cabin on overpriced tours. Sales always have a catch. How about when you go  to someplace like Kohls and they give you 60% off a piece of clothing that says suggested retail price. We all are bright enough to know the item probably never sold for the "suggest" retail price.

A vast majority of people choose the "free at sea" promo with the beverage package. I'd say at least 75%. The reason is because drink prices and the drink package is insanely expensive.

26 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Sales always have a catch. How about when you go  to someplace like Kohls and they give you 60% off a piece of clothing that says suggested retail price. We all are bright enough to know the item probably never sold for the "suggest" retail price.

So true Nita! It is almost impossible to go to Macy's when they are NOT having a One Day Sale! I don't know if it's New Mexico or Arkansas that makes you so smart! :)

29 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

You're right it doesn't...that's why in my following post I say that it's at least 3/4 of the customer base...meaning I realize there's some that don't care for it. But thanks for the attempt at the jab, just read my comments entirely first next time.

Hmm, your off the cuff estimate of 75% of current base wants the beverage package means 25% does not want it.  And that is just your estimate; you probably see other drinkers as you are apt to bump elbows at same venues.  But let’s accept your estimate.

Now , I realize that you want it and are therefore totally biased in that direction, but 25% is a big portion of their market and they should run sales that appeal.  and they might want to be image conscious, too.  Else the non- or very light drinkers might say “NCL never run sales for me; NCL must only want the heavy drinking crowd; there might be too many drunks aboard for me to enjoy NCL.”  Might not be true, but if sales always Include drink packages (as you would like), it alienates a solid portion of the market.

All that said, too bad they did not offer such a sale in the US.  I’d like to see a different sale.  I do not drink for medical reasons and DH is a light drinker.  We get a couple specialty dinners based on loyalty; that is enough if MDR’s perform as they should.  So, a new sale for the other 25% seem way, way overdue!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

All that said, too bad they did not offer such a sale in the US.  I’d like to see a different sale.  I do not drink for medical reasons and DH is a light drinker.  We get a couple specialty dinners based on loyalty; that is enough if MDR’s perform as they should.  So, a new sale for the other 25% seem way, way overdue!

I would love it as well, especially since it looks like it applies to those paying the single supplement.  I cruise in suites, but since suite passengers have to now pay the gratuity for the drink package, it really doesn't make sense for me to choose it anymore, as it will be cheaper to pay as I go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Not a jab, attempted or otherwise. Just pointing out that offers don’t necessarily apply to everyone, and if there is one that doesn’t appeal to people who drink a lot then it is just as valid as the multiple ones which do.

Edot to clarify that I have fully read your posts that all seem to be suggesting that all of NCLs offers should be aimed at that 3/4 who like the beverage package (your figures not mine).

I am very firmly in that 3/4, but I’m pleased if they are offering something to the other 25%. Having read your posts a few times it doesn’t sound like you think they should be. That isn’t a jab or anything like that, just a recognition that people are different and a company that recognises that and offers different things to different groups seems to be doing it right (and I say that as someone who is certainly not a fan of NCLs marketing department).

Apologies if I have misunderstood you, if so then please point me to the exact bit that I’ve misunderstood, because I’ve been back and checked.

Edited by KeithJenner

50 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

A vast majority of people choose the "free at sea" promo with the beverage package. I'd say at least 75%. The reason is because drink prices and the drink package is insanely expensive.

That isn't the point and I think you know it. The fact remains there are those who do not use the perks or all of them so they are paying or others to enjoy whatever. We do use the perks because we like our drinks. We do not use the net hardly at all as we enjoy getting away. For those who do not drink, or not much just think of how many of them might enjoy the Labor Day price and choose to take Sail Away pricing? I just do not see your point. Sales are Sales, end of story!!!!!

46 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

So true Nita! It is almost impossible to go to Macy's when they are NOT having a One Day Sale! I don't know if it's New Mexico or Arkansas that makes you so smart! 🙂

not where I live but my age; I still have a brain, but sometimes don't use it enough. I also am pretty much a realist that is why I roll with the punches, but also can be a *****: ask my husband. I say I am a nice person, he says according to who? NOT REALLY but I can still be a *****!!!!

14 hours ago, eternalspira said:

This is a better deal in our eyes because we don't drink so we always book sailaway and forgo the perks

I tend to book sail away on NCL as well.  I can be flexible about cabin location so it generally works out OK for regular cruises. 

Still, it would be nice to be able to select a well located cabin (an aft balcony for example)for special occasions  for a fair price without paying for perks I do not need or desire.  Maybe the sale the OP described (if offered in US!) would allow me to do that.  Surely NCL must realize that as they do not currently offer me that option, I am obviously booking such cruises on other cruise lines; only a fool would do otherwise.  The effect is NCL currently gets my cheap getaway cruise at sail away rates (though they make more $ if they accept my upgrade bids) while other cruiselines tend to get the special occasion cruises...marketing geniuses, indeed, by forcing perks.

Edited by Starry Eyes

20 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Keith I know you think that they should not offer drinks all the time but you may  be interested to know that the UK take up on the "free at sea" £99 upgrade is almost 100% drinks and speciality. its not going anywhere promise