Parking at port in charleston 9-2-2019

easy1969

On 8/31/2019 at 11:16 PM, easy1969 said:

Any ideas about where to park in Charleston with fair chance of hurricane while we cruise.

Currently I am thinking about the best western on Savannah highway.....

Any ideas are appreciated. 

Sorry i didn't see this before but we parked at best western patriots point

• Like 1

We parked at the port and we drove through some deep water entering the parking lot that had accumulated from a rain storm.  I cannot imagine how much will be there when Dorian comes through.  I called my insurance company and I am covered for storm or flood damage.  I am really concerned that I will come back to flood damage which would make it very risky to drive ten hours home.  Oh boy...

On 9/4/2019 at 5:26 PM, Raiderguy8 said:

We parked at the port and we drove through some deep water entering the parking lot that had accumulated from a rain storm.  I cannot imagine how much will be there when Dorian comes through.  I called my insurance company and I am covered for storm or flood damage.  I am really concerned that I will come back to flood damage which would make it very risky to drive ten hours home.  Oh boy...

We essentially had 3 options for parking... the airport, the port and our hotel.  We ended up parking at the Best Western Patriots Point for free and got a taxi to the port.  We decided against the airport because of traffic and against the port, because of potential flooding.  Our car came out unscathed but was certainly battered with leaves, sticks and mud.  I'm not complaining at all.

Raiderguy8, were you by chance on the Nassau shuttle going to the Atlantis around 11:30am?

Our car was in the open parking lot at the port and all seemed find but within a few minutes of driving I noticed my shoes were squeaking on the floor mat.  I pulled over and the driver seat floorboard carpeting was wet.  Not soaking wet but damp.  the passenger side and back seat floorboards were completely dry.  I opened the engine compartment and all seemed fine and the car made it through the ten hour drive without a problem.  So strange that it was just the one floorboard that had any moisture.

Yes, we were on that excursion.  My wife was the one with the rolling walker.

18 minutes ago, Raiderguy8 said:

Our car was in the open parking lot at the port and all seemed find but within a few minutes of driving I noticed my shoes were squeaking on the floor mat.  I pulled over and the driver seat floorboard carpeting was wet.  Not soaking wet but damp.  the passenger side and back seat floorboards were completely dry.  I opened the engine compartment and all seemed fine and the car made it through the ten hour drive without a problem.  So strange that it was just the one floorboard that had any moisture.

Yes, we were on that excursion.  My wife was the one with the rolling walker.

Sounds like your car just escaped.  So glad it's fine.  I saw a video of the port with storm surge water coming over the dock.  

I was not on that excursion but my FIL and MIL were both on there.  They mentioned hearing someone was from Dayton and I assumed it would be you.  They were the ones (especially MIL) probably complaining about almost everything.  LOL.

2 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Sounds like your car just escaped.  So glad it's fine.  I saw a video of the port with storm surge water coming over the dock.  

I was not on that excursion but my FIL and MIL were both on there.  They mentioned hearing someone was from Dayton and I assumed it would be you.  They were the ones (especially MIL) probably complaining about almost everything.  LOL.

She must have been on her best behavior because I didn't notice anyone complaining about much.  One woman did lose her husband and she wasn't too thrilled about that.

21 hours ago, Raiderguy8 said:

Actually my wife just reminded me of a couple that we talked to on the bus.  She wore a Buckeyes shirt and carried an Indians bag and I talked to her a bit about baseball (I'm a Reds fan).  I bet that was them.

Ha.  I'm sure that was them.  Small world.  By the way, she used to be a huge Red's fan until the Indians became good and went to the World Series.  She's a big time bandwagon fan.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.