One Day San Pedro/LAX Activities

boberp

Hello,

My wife and I will returning on the NCL Joy on Sunday December 29 at 7:30 am.  Given the holidays and the heavy air traffic we opted to only consider direct flights for our return air.  As a result our flight does not depart until 8:30 pm Sunday evening.

We are looking for suggestions about how to spend the day.  We our in our sixties, my wife uses a small mobility scooter when doing longer distances and we will of course have our luggage.  One thought was to return to LAX, rent a car and go someplace for the day.  Also considered Ubering but wondered about luggage storage.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Returning to LAX to rent a car solves your luggage storage issue. That is what I would do. You could Uber directly to an LAX car rental (Avis, Hertz, National) rather than to LAX then riding the shuttle.

Then you can go to Santa Monica, or Hollywood or Manhattan Beach, etc. It just depends on what amuses you.

If you wanted to skip the car rental you could also book a day pass at a number of nice LA/Beverly Hills/Santa Monica hotels that you can check your bags at and make use of their pool for the day. Less in the line of sightseeing but we have done this a few times when we had a late redeye flight home. The W Hollywood is as inexpensive as $20 per person. The Sunset Tower Hotel is a little more at $50 but is a much more boutique luxury hotel (although the pool is a little small). Viceroy Santa Monica is $40 pp. The extreme of this would be getting a cabana at the Beverly Hills Hotel (most likely one of the most glamorous hotel pools in the world) which will run about $300 for the day. 

If you didn't want to deal with renting a car and the back and forth to LAX this option could give you a home base to either relax in or sightsee from and you could just use Uber. 

4 hours ago, boberp said:

Thanks Scott!  Any recommendations on specific sights to see in the area?

It depends on what interests you. I am not a fan of Hollywood, I find it schlocky and touristy. I like Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Griffith Park & Observatory, Beverly Hills for a quick looksie, , even Downtown LA has some interesting sights.

We are using Sunseeker Tours for a tour of Los Angeles when we get off the Joy on Oct. 11. They will take your luggage and deliver you to LAX at the end of the tour or back to a port area hotel, depending upon on which option you choose. We are staying in San Pedro as we are leaving on Carnival Legend the next day, but thought this would give us a tour of LA highlights and we have never been there before. I found them online. They could tell you if they could accommodate a scooter.