HAL to quiet?

ja940

On 9/7/2019 at 1:50 PM, Aquahound said:

The Prinsendam sounds like it was a special ship.  I only wish HAL provided that evening atmosphere in the Crows Nest of all their other ships.  

We loved the P'Dam and spent exactly 200 days/nights on that vessel.  On nearly all of our cruises (mostly longer voyages) the Crow's Nest (and other venues) were empty by 10:30.  I spent many nights closing the Crows Nest and there were normally about 8-10 in the bar...half of whom were ships officers.  I became pretty friendly with Captain Gundersen because he would come into the Crow's Nest around 11 just to sit an chat.  The ship's Beverage Manager would also hang out there from about 10:30 until close as would 1 or 2 other Senior Officers.   On one cruise the piano player's  (the Crow's Nest doubled as the piano bar on the Prinsendam) girlfriend was aboard and she would sit with me in the Crow's Nest as we listened to her BF play.  Our running joke was that she was the only female in the Crows Nest after 10 because she intimated all the other women who were about twice her age :). 

As to the answer to the OP's question, YES, Hal vessels are generally quiet within minutes after the later show ends in the theater.  There were some exceptions.....but it was rare.  I used to tease one of the Cruise Directors about HAL having a late night adult comedy show (usually held at 11:30 on other lines).  He said the problem would  be getting more then 5 people to stay awake long enough to attend the show.

We enjoy most of our HAL cruises but must adjust to the quiet atmosphere.  The few times we have been on ships that had BB King groups, we would spend their last set listening to the music..without a lot of company (most other passengers were in bed).  And yes, the BB King venues can be loud but that is why they make ear plugs :).

Hank

• Like 1