Prepaying tips at the Celebrity web site ..

bryanjaync

Parents going on a December 2006 Zenith cruise. On the Celebrity website, they offer the option of paying of tips in advance. For my parents, it is listed as $140 per person (10 day in cabin with butler). The math works out right as to what Celebrity guidelines say for tipping. Question: Has anyone used this service, or there any downsides, and how does a passenger politely tell the crew that we have tipped in advance. The pre-tipping sounds great to me, but interested in feedback.

Hi Bryan,

We have used this option on a recent cruise, and it was a help in handling the tipping process for us. We usually have to precalculate the tip amounts, and then get bills of the desired denominations to meet the individual dollar sums for each recipient. These sums we put in indiviual envelopes just like we would on board. Near the end of the trip we will add any additional tip that we feel is warranted.

With the pretipping option we did not have to figure out the dollar denominations, or carry the extra cash, but just put any added tip in the provided envelope. No apparent downside.

Petert

I have never even considered giving someone less than the recommended amount, so it sounds like a good thing to do.

If you feel some employee has given you extra special service, you can always tip in cash to that person individually.

When you go to My Celebrity and the customize your cruise section. It's listed on the payment page on the lefthand side. We just did this for our upcoming March cruise. It seemed so much easier than having to worry about it onboard.

If you prepay your tips or if you add them to your onboard account you will be given (in your cabin near the end of the cruise) little cards that say the tips were prepaid to give to the appropriate people.

Yes, they do give you those little pre-printed cards .... but no envelopes! It just seems too crass to hand my steward and waiters the bare cards. This past cruise, I packed some nice heavy cotton stock stationary and wrote each a short note of thanks and placed the card in the fold .... and then into the corresponding envelope. I feel much better expressing my personal thanks and the little card that Celebrity provides for the gratuities is given a far better presentation.

Cheers,

If you go to Guest Relations they will give you a set of envelopes for the tips.

I am not certain about Celebrity but RCI introduced this practice some years ago.

Our cabin Steward told us that they are paid their tips on the morning of the final day. We were given envelopes with vouchers to give to the people concerned.

Because we were friendly with our Steward we asked him about the tipping as we were anxious that the people concerned received their tips. This means that the staff receive their tips in cash even before you give them these cards or envelopes. I would assume that the practice will be similar at Celebrity. Of course to give an extra tip for excellent service is always appreciated.

Hi all,

thank you for the information, I considered prepaying the tips, but I was worried, that the money gets those who diserve them. With all the information I guess I will try this option.

Nicki- good idea with this envelopes and great to write some thankfull words with the cards.

Greetings

Michael

Archived