NCL Food ?

Cricket1997

Please Please..How bad can the food be..YOU !!! are being served..NO cooking, no clean-up no problem..I agree with most that its all in the individuals taste but come on now..If they give me a bologna sandwich that i didnt have to make i would go for it..You're on vacation. Enjoy and find something you like or eat candy..sheeeeeeeeeesh..

Ten different restaurants folks......the menu choices are only part of what's available. There's the buffet, the poolside barbecues, the Bimini Bar & Grill, the Blue Lagoon, the Chocoholic Buffet, Fish & Chips at King Pearly's Pub and the specialty restaurants. We're not going to go hungry!!!!

I have often wondered what would happen if some cruise line decided to license out their dining rooms on one ship to such chains as Olive Garden, Carrabas, Red Lobster, American Grill, Longhorn Steakhouse, Landry's, etc.

Wonder if people would shun the ship because of the food or...flock to it because of the food.

If they license out a main diningroom to Olive Garden or American Grill, I'll be aboard.

Please Please..How bad can the food be..YOU !!! are being served..NO cooking, no clean-up no problem..I agree with most that its all in the individuals taste but come on now..If they give me a bologna sandwich that i didnt have to make i would go for it..You're on vacation. Enjoy and find something you like or eat candy..sheeeeeeeeeesh..

The food is by no means bad.... We thought it was pretty darn good. Some people want fine dining and others want Olive Garden and Red Lobster. Some people like Taco Bell and Mickey D's. Everyone has different tastes, but the food has always been good IMHO. It might not be like dining in an upscale restaurant for some, but I can't understand people complaining about it being bad.

One of our favorite lunches was a Pastrami Sandwich because the bread was out of this world. I am with you Bostonian Lady.... No cooking, no clean up...just fun and relaxation. What I'd give right now to be packing for the Dawn right now instead of cooking dinner!!!

Jackie :cool:

I agree with those who don't want to see familiar restaurant chains on ships. Traveling in general is loosing it's fun when no matter what US city you visit (large or small), you see the same chain restaurants and other businesses that would be at home. Nothing is unique any more. If I want to visit Blockbuster or Chilis, I can do that at home and save lots of money. I would rather find a new experience, that is what makes travel exciting.

You Betcha, They cook, They serve, they clean up & do the dishes. Nothing can be wrong with that. All you need to do is place an order, sit back & relax.

Afterward, do what I try to do------------Visit the gym for a while.

That's a good idea, but I prefer to visit the Star Bar.... :D

Do they serve the same food on all the ships? I think I`d rather have a baloney sandwich, than the lobster they served on the POAM. Two tiny tails with about 3 bites each. And it was old and strong smelling. Even putting melted butter on it didn`t do much to disguise it. We were too late for the specialty restaurants, they were all booked. I did love the ship though and I did go for the itenerary, not the food. One good thing, I didn`t gain any weight.

Yes, they all serve basically the same food.

But each chef and each ship take liberties and adds his own personal touch.

A cruise ship loads all the food on embarkation day. On a week long cruise, some food is 5, 6, or 7 days from being fresh. Expecting fresh lobsters at the main restaurants is unrealistic. They surely don't load a thousand or two live lobsters every week. Some of the speciality restaurants will have live lobsters for you to choose from, but then you 're paying a surcharge to do so.

A cruise ship loads all the food on embarkation day. On a week long cruise, some food is 5, 6, or 7 days from being fresh.

One of the nice things about springing for a cruise on a premium line (Seabourn, Raddison, etc) is that the chefs will often get off at the ports and do some "shopping" for fresh ingredients during the cruise. They will often make a special "sampling starter" to offer with what they found.

One thing I have noticed about the "food" topics on these boards --- it often seem that the persons most concerned about the quality of the dining experience are also the ones looking for the "cheapest" fares.

As one who is also looking for a good bargain, I must say I have never been disappointed with cruise food. Yes, the buffets are average, but aren't most? Seriously, how many people go to Fresh Choice or Hometown Buffet looking for an upscale gourmet meal?

And then there's my personal fave comment: "The food was terrible. And the portions were so small!"

I think the cruise ships offer plenty of choices, I also agree that if I don't have to prepare it or clean up afterwards, it's gotta be good!

I am not such a picky eater but as we all do, I for sure have certain likes and dislikes. I have never found a reason to complain about the food on the NCL cruises we've been on. In fact, there are too many choices! Especially when we were on the Star. You not only have the 2 main dining rooms, which have served us quite well, you also have the Blue Lagoon and Endless Summer. Not to mention the buffet. And then there are the pay restaurants.

I like all of it! But there is NO way to squeeze in ALL of the eating I would like to do, in just a 7 day cruise. 2 main dining rooms, a buffet, Blue Lagoon, Endless Summer, La Trattoria - and those are all the 'free' ones. On top of that you have the grill out on deck, and the popcorn and ice cream. And then there is the Chocoholics Buffet. I'm getting fat right now just typing this!

Bottom line is this: The food is good. It is NOT what you will find at a 4 or 5 star restaurant or resort. (But so much of that food is so highly over priced anyway!) And the kicker for me: not having to shop for it, clean it, fix it, serve it or clean up after it! I love cruising!

Have fun!

Hikini:D

Traveling in general is loosing it's fun when no matter what US city you visit (large or small), you see the same chain restaurants and other businesses that would be at home.

And these are generally full, packed, crowded, slammed, etc., with a great majority being tourists who don't want to try local restaurants because they just don't know them. They want the same taste in food they know at home.

How on earth can an Olive Garden or Carrabas thrive in cities known for their Italian cuisine, like Boston or San Francisco, or even mid-town NY? Yet they do! Why? Because of tourists, who generally want the same food they have at home. Same thing happens with Red Lobsters in Florida, which are filled to capacity by out of state tourists who don't go to the local seafood restaurants for the same reasons I offered above.

I still lean toward the thought that chain restaurants aboard ships might just do quite well (though you won't see me in them).

How on earth can an Olive Garden or Carrabas thrive in cities known for their Italian cuisine, like Boston or San Francisco, or even mid-town NY? Yet they do! Why? Because of tourists, who generally want the same food they have at home. Same thing happens with Red Lobsters in Florida, which are filled to capacity by out of state tourists who don't go to the local seafood restaurants for the same reasons I offered above.

The good news is that Red Lobster, located across the street from a really good local seafood place in Hyannis, closed down. The bad news is it was replaced by an Olive Garden. But then Cape Cod doesn't have the Italian restaurants of a Boston, New Haven, or New York--sad to say.

I had been on the Dawn and the food was alright. The best on that ship happened to be from Salsa, the free specialty restaurant.

I don't know if the so-so ness of the food was because of all the pay places or just because it wasn't good.

I preferred Carnival's food to theirs.

It wasn't bad just not amazingly good either. If you stick to basics that they can't screw up you won't think anything of it.

I just wouldn't waste my time waiting on a long line for their chocoholics buffet. You'd be happier with a Hershey bar or a box of Godiva's.

My husband and I were looking at the NCL cruises out of NY, but I have been hearing alot of bad reveiws on the food. Is it really that bad? Thanks, Crystal

It's terrible!!!

I only gained 10 lbs on my Dec cruise on the Jewel. And it took me almost 2 weeks to decide to book the Norwegian Star for Alaska next summer. Better food and I probably would've booked in a week or less!

-Monte

My husband and I were looking at the NCL cruises out of NY, but I have been hearing alot of bad reveiws on the food. Is it really that bad? Thanks, Crystal

I'd put NCL food up against anybody's...especially their crispy bacon!

Do all NCL ships serve the same food? I certainly wasn`t impressed by the POAM`s regular dining room. Is it different on other ships? Of course I never got into the specialty dining rooms--they were all booked up.

Any food that someone else prepares for me is good...and when it's served on a cruiseship it's great!!!!

Kathy

and ditto also to Bostonianlady:"Please Please..How bad can the food be..YOU !!! are being served..NO cooking, no clean-up no problem..I agree with most that its all in the individuals taste but come on now..If they give me a bologna sandwich that i didnt have to make i would go for it..You're on vacation. Enjoy and find something you like or eat candy..sheeeeeeeeeesh.."

For some reason the food seems to taste better when I go out of my way to treat the people who are serving me with extra kindness as well. If you REALLY don't like something, they will bring something else, which is better than I can do at home if I blow it. I think a lot is attitude. I am there to enjoy it and I do.

We were visiting last evening with our son and his wife who we cruised with in September. I mentioned all of the hoopla about food on the CC boards.

Each of us tried to remember what we were served several times on the ship, and lo-and-behold, we couldn't remember anything except a few exceptional meals, and the waffle bar, the great selection of food, and the wonderful service.

None of us had complaints, and we all concluded that the food was just fine.

It seemed strange to us that people can come back from a cruise, and remember every single detail about every meal, and complain about it profusely.

The things which we want to reminisce about are the cruise itself.

The beautiful Spirit - which by the way, we examined from end to end, and top to bottom, the ports visited, the people we met during the cruise, the pure exhilaration of standing on deck while enjoying each new sight along the way. The glaciers, the local people, the joy of being together, on a wonderful cruise line, and much, much more - it all lingers in our memories.

The food is a thing of the past. It wasn't important while being consumed, nor is it important today. We ate! What more can we say - we didn't go hungry, gained some weight, so how bad was it. Not bad at all!

Archived