Scavenger Hunt

Cruising with kiddos

We are going on a cruise in December with a large group to celebrate a 70th birthday, a couple of retirements, a 45th wedding Anniversary, the list goes on.  We have ages 14 to 70 attending.  As the ship will be decorated for Christmas (which we happen to be insanely excited about), I would like to plan a fun scavenger hunt for our group.  While there are tons of ideas on the web for this, I was hoping to get ideas from those of you on these boards who may have tried it with a group or been on several cruises that might have ideas of things to include.  I am think of making it a game for one of the sea days with a prize at dinner for the winner(s).

Thanks for your help!

I wanted to do one last year when we were supposed to have another family going with us. It would've been 8 people total with 5 teenagers. But they backed out on us, so I never got to do it. The prize was probably going to be a Carnival gift card and we would've held the scavenger hunt early in the cruise so they'd have time to spend it. You can buy larger denominations online, but I think there are certain retailers that carry smaller ones ($25 or $50). Or you could do the more common $100 card if you wanted to spend the money.

Like you, I looked online for ideas so anything I have, you've probably already seen. Some suggested pictures with crew members, pictures of someone in, say, a certain color hat, etc.

I wanted to come up with some sort of points system. Harder finds earned more points. You could choose to spend more time looking for harder items, but for a bigger payoff. Or look for easier things, but you'd need to find more of them. Something like that, it sounded good in my head. LOL Since I was making the scavenger hunt and couldn't participate, I was going to be the final bonus find. I'd give a harder clue to a location and I'd be there to grant the bonus points. Hopefully one of these days I'll get to do it.

The Fun Squad did somewhat of a scavenger hunt last year aboard the Glory. We were on a time limit and had to take a picture of ourselves (or a picture of our teammate) in certain locations on the ship. In the end, a larger group of players split up, did multiple locations at once, then gave all their pictures to one team member to complete it faster and win. And the Fun Squad member didn't even ask to see the pictures, so someone could just check items off the list without proof.

http://www.wealwayswander.com/cruise-ship-fun.html

Here is a link to the one that I created for my nephew on our last cruise.   If you like it and want an editable format send me your email address and I will get it to you.  

We used it for him to have fun,  and to  earn spending money for each port.... complete 15 get so much $ and then complete 15 more get $ etc.