HELP! Former Asia Cruisers...Beijing to Xian??

FLTXKS

Departing on the Pacific Princess June 30, 16 day Asia Cruise. I want to go to see the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian. Has anyone that has been on the Asia cruise gone from Beijing to Xian to see the warriors? If so, did you arrange air fare and the tour on your own or did you go with a group? Will Princess offer this as a pre-cruise tour package? Will arrive in Beijing on June 26, so there will be plenty of time for a pre-cruise trip.

Any information will be appreciated! You can post here or email me at fltxks@aol.com

Thanks!

Hi,

We are on the Nautica sailing from Beijing to Hong Kong on March 16, 2006. We are staying at the Peninsula and have had the Concierge arrange a one day tour to Xian. The flight is $300 per person and are having someone pick us up at the hotel and take us to the airport. When we arrive in Xian, we have some picking us up and taking us to the museum to see the Warriors and sightseeing. We will return at night. Whereever you are staying they can arrange a tour for you whether it be one day or two days. If you haven't been to Beijing, you have a lot of sightseeing to do there. If you want, I'll email you after we return and tell you how the tour went doing it in one day. Some people staying at the Grand Hyatt are doing the same.

Sheila

Hi Sheila

DW Carol and I are on the same cruise as you. We depart LAX on Cathay Pacific on 3/12 and arrive Beijing the night of 3/13. We've arranged an all-day tour of Tian'anmen Square, Forbidden City,Temple of Heaven, and Summer Palace on 3/14, Xi'an on 3/15, and Badaling Great Wall and Ming Tombs on 3/16, with the tour folks dropping us off at the ship that afternoon. Whew - a busy 3 days, but unfortunately we can't leave for China any earlier! The concierge at the Grand Hyatt has put this tour together for us.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Mike

GREAT! Please email me and let me know how your tour of Xian went! We're staying at the Novotel Xia Qiao in Beijing. I'm not sure if they will have a conceriege that can arrange a tour. It's not a 5 star hotel, so I may need some help from those of you at the Grand Hyatt or Sheraton. Please let me know how it went. We probably will just be interested in the day trip. Flying out early in the morning and back at night would be fine with us. Email me at FLTXKS@aol.com

Thanks!!!

GREAT! Please email me and let me know how your tour of Xian went! We're staying at the Novotel Xia Qiao in Beijing. I'm not sure if they will have a conceriege that can arrange a tour. It's not a 5 star hotel, so I may need some help from those of you at the Grand Hyatt or Sheraton. Please let me know how it went. We probably will just be interested in the day trip. Flying out early in the morning and back at night would be fine with us. Email me at FLTXKS@aol.com

Thanks!!!

All-FYI

Please be aware that Chinese airlines are not as prompt departing for flights as we are used to in the US. Domestic flights out of Beijing can be a zoo. And the airlines cancel/reschedule at will.

We just spent a month in China, Vietnam and Cambodia. The only problem we had with flights in three countries was INTRA-CHINA. Almost all flights (7) were at least 45 minutes late departing and two were over 1 1/2 hours.

Just make sure you leave enough time for whatever you have planned. And one other thing-don't plan on taking much luggage. The Chinese are REALLY strict. One SMALL carryon (not normal roller bag size, unless you are flying business or first) and nothing over 20K (about 44 pounds).

We were curious about what airline you flew in China, what sort of equipment (i.e. type of airplane) you flew and what was the condition overall of the planes (maintenance wise)? We're not sure what we're flying yet and safety is always a concern. Thanks!

Charlie

Mikebrill...

Can you give me information as to who your tour is with that the hotel set up for you? I'd like to contact that tour operator and see if I can arrange something when I am in Beijing in late June. And, if you don't mind, what was the cost associated with the tour to Xian to see the Terra Cotta Warriors?

Thanks so much. You can email me direct at FLTXKS@aol.com if you prefer.

We were curious about what airline you flew in China, what sort of equipment (i.e. type of airplane) you flew and what was the condition overall of the planes (maintenance wise)? We're not sure what we're flying yet and safety is always a concern. Thanks!

Charlie

We flew Air China, China Southern and China Eastern. All were on nearly new Airbus equipment, except for Air China, which was a 737.

Flights were short, only about an hour, with actual food service. Other than leaving on time (all flights were late departing), I saw no problems. Make sure you pay attention to luggage weight. The Chinese are REALLY strict.

While the Chinese were strict on checked luggage weight, they didn't check/weigh our carry on's. Also all the flights we took were on time. While the airports were crowded, it was no worse than the NY airports at Thanksgiving. The planes were fine mostly fairly new Boeings or Airbuses. Do not use the ice on the planes however. We also flew to Xian(from Chopquin and then on to Beijing)--it was part of the Tour. Well worth it. We were told to lock the luggage and in one of the flights the locks were broken off, We had additional cheap locks. We were told that one you check at the airport(not at the plane), they wait for you and have to find you before the plane can leave.

smeyer418

How do you always manage to end up with on time flights, good seats, etc??? LOL

It always seems like you have one experience and I have another. And I do global logistics planning for a living. Out of 7 intra China flights, every one of ours was late. And on the flight from Chonqing to Chengdu, they were making everyone with normal rollaboards gate check them. Said they were larger than the regulations (China Southern). And if you already had a checked bag, you were charged the excess luggage fee.

Almost missed my flight from HKG to Hanoi after the plane from Wuhan to Shenzhen was 1 1/2 hours late (on a 51 minute flight). Still had to take the ferry to the HKG airport. If I had not had a car waiting at the airport and gotten on the next ferry, I would still be residing in Shenzhen.

I think our guide worried more than I did. We just didn't have problems that weren't solved quickly. Our plane from Tokyo to Shanghai was 3 hours late(it was Northwest) but all it meant was that we got to hotel at Midnight and went straight to bed. Our ship was late arriving into Chopquin(fog) and we missed some sightseeing but we had a late plane and it wasn't a problem. I do have stories about late planes(an icelandic one was memorable) but for the most part it just worked out. I don't think I even consider a flight 45 minutes late as late. The three inter China flights were on time and two landed a couple of minutes early. No one gave us a hard time except one Japanese woman who tried to push past me getting off the plane. We left the tour a few times on our own and always had a great time. The only time we were stopped for anything was by a chinese army officer on top of the Yangtze Dam overlook and that was because he wanted to take our pictures with him...oh yes we WERE stopped from taking pictures of the menu in the McDonalds in Wuhan....The plane from Xian to Beijing was an A340 that was less than half full...

Thanks for all the information about the planes in China - you can't beat real experience for some things. Am not too worried about catching the plane in time - that's the tour guide's worry. We're on vacation. Shie - shei

Happy sails,

Charlie

• 1 month later...

I bit the bullet and booked a Beijing to Xi'an round trip flight on Air China. The cost was about $300 each. I found a tour company that will meet us at the Xi'an airport, take us on a tour of the terra cotta warriors, and some other Xi'an attractions and get us back to the Xi'an airport in time for our flight back to Beijing. The tour total cost was $170 for both of us. Our flight leaves Beijing at 7:30 a.m. and the flight back to Beijing from Xi'an leaves Xi'an at 7:20 p.m. So, we'll be there about 12 hours. Our tour price also includes lunch. Total cost for the day, $800 with taxis to and from the Beijing airport from our hotel in Beijing. HUGE savings over the Princess tour price.

I bought the airline tickets on expedia.com, PEK to XIY.

Still waiting to hear from Pacific Princess passengers, June 30 16-day Asia Cruise! :)

I bit the bullet and booked a Beijing to Xi'an round trip flight on Air China. The cost was about $300 each. I found a tour company that will meet us at the Xi'an airport, take us on a tour of the terra cotta warriors, and some other Xi'an attractions and get us back to the Xi'an airport in time for our flight back to Beijing. The tour total cost was $170 for both of us. Our flight leaves Beijing at 7:30 a.m. and the flight back to Beijing from Xi'an leaves Xi'an at 7:20 p.m. So, we'll be there about 12 hours. Our tour price also includes lunch. Total cost for the day, $800 with taxis to and from the Beijing airport from our hotel in Beijing. HUGE savings over the Princess tour price.

I bought the airline tickets on expedia.com, PEK to XIY.

Still waiting to hear from Pacific Princess passengers, June 30 16-day Asia Cruise! :)

Congratulations!!!! Don't you feel good doing it yourself, knowing what you are getting yourself into, AND saving all that money??? Enjoy!!!

Yes....The airfare was approx. $580 (I got it on expedia.com... PEK to XIY) Then the tour company was $170 (includes pick up at the XIY airport, transportation to the attractions and admission, lunch, and transportation back to the XIY airport.) I used "Mr. Leon" at chinahighlights.com. His email address is: lion@chinahighlights.com

He was very helpful and I am anticipating a great trip. He was willing to do the entire tour (with airfare included) for $800 total. However, I wanted to be in control of setting my own flights and having the airline tickets in my possession here in the USA before traveling to China. (You have to have "paper tickets," apparently, they don't do "electronic tickets" in China.) Mr. Leon was going to have the paper tickets delivered to my hotel to be waiting for me in Beijing, but I am more comfortable having them with me now. They were delivered to me by FedEx.

Good Luck!

David

FLTXKS@aol.com

I am enjoying reading all the great information on this thread; DH and I are thinking of going to China but had no knowledge so all this info is fabulous! Please tell us more after your cruise as to what was great, good, and maybe what to watch out for!

How did you all select your hotels (I assume the Chinese hotels are not quite North American in stars, or am I wrong?)

I am enjoying reading all the great information on this thread; DH and I are thinking of going to China but had no knowledge so all this info is fabulous! Please tell us more after your cruise as to what was great, good, and maybe what to watch out for!

How did you all select your hotels (I assume the Chinese hotels are not quite North American in stars, or am I wrong?)

Are you considering SE Asia cruise, Yangtze River cruise or a combination of two or three including land portions? Your answer to that question will help provide you with specific info.

As to * ratings for China hotels. The Peninsula, Oriental and some of the independent Beijing Hotels (I am specifically thinking of the Beijing Hotel) meet or exceed western * ratings. The Peninsula Hong Kong and Bangkok are usaully rated in the top 1-3 in the WORLD. Oriental in Beijing is right up there with those and the Peninsula Beijing is working it's way to join its brothers.

Beijing Hotel is spectacular. It is the only hotel westerners could stay in before 1984. Every US President, diplomat and mucky muck has stayed there. The history of the hotel is fantastic. Mao had an office there, a WWII treaty was signed there, and there are pictures of Pat Nixon cooking in the kitchen. I stayed there BECAUSE of the history and had a fantastic time. http://www.chinabeijinghotel.com.cn/en/main.asp

When you leave Beijing, western * standards become debatable. Nan Hai Hotel, Shenzhen-rated 4*, probably more 3* American. New, very nice, very clean, with lots of high tech-just not the amenities you would expect in a western 4*. The concierge desk was deplorable, unless you speak FLUENT Chinese.

Chengdu Sheraton-rated 3*, probably closer to a 3+.

Wuhan Riverside Holiday Inn-rated 3*, MAYBE 2* American. Clean, decent, but NONE of the amenities of a western 3*. Had to ask for shampoo. Was brought up IMMEDIATELY, with apologies. But it was NOT in the room.

Stayed in quite a few Asian hotels since October 2005. Have traveled to China/Vietnam/Cambodia 3 times since October. Trying to get some more logisitcs business going and am buying a hotel in Phnom Penh Cambodia. Will turn it into a very boutique type hotel, specifically for westerners.

The hotels we were in 3 were great and above the equivalent ones in the US and a lot cheaper. In the first one in Shanghai the Shanghai hotel was 3 stars and was very good. We arrived late but the hall porter was woken up to bring us fresh boiling water(great for instant coffee) and made up the beds. We had our guide with us but the front desk spoke ok english breakfast was half american/ half chinese. The Hotel in Xian was four stars plus and was excellent(had the best breakfast and was making omelets)-it had a pool that we used again the English was ok in Beijing we stayed at a 5 star and it was fine again with a pool. You need a bathing cap(men too) to use the pool. In NY these would all have been the finiest hotel like the Plaza or the Waldorf. I know I had no complaints and the English throughout was fine. We kept running into people off the tour who spoke English very well. An English teacher from Xian stop us on the Bund in Shanghai just to use his English and when we were on line for the McDonalds in Wuhan, the person next to us in perfect English asked if he could help---turns out he was from Tulsa(my wife's familiy is from OK). Even when we were on our own we had little problem. Yes we had the hotel's name and location written in Chinese for us but it just wasn't a problem. The Chinese actually like americans and the better you speak english the better the job you can get. English is a required course from the 1st grade! Oh PS all had 24 hour internet available I went down to use one at 3 am and they woke up the poor guy just for me. I told him to go back to sleep!

Hey Great am you want someone to run the hotel?

Hey Great am you want someone to run the hotel?

Could be. I plan on being there about 5-6 months out of the year. But the rest of the time, I will definitely have to have someone there.

Still negotiating for the "building permit". Won't close on the actual property until I make sure I can refurbish the hotel to my standards and the negotiation for "refurbishment" is quite interesting. Actually, easier than in the US, after you find out who you have to deal with. Nailed that down the last trip, now it comes down to the money. It truly is who you know and who you pay. I have six months from December 15 to close on the property. The lawyer must really think he needs to justify his fee-I get 3-4 emails from him per week. Can't really say he says anything important, but he lets me know he is working hard for me. LOL!!!

smeyer 418, do you have the names of the hotels that you stayed in and recommend? I think it is good to go with hotels that people have actually experienced and who can then recommend or not to other travellers. Thanks!

Archived