Princess' Medical Form

DEL67

We are cruising on Princess for the first time in April. When I called their Special Needs Dept. to inform them we would be bringing an oxygen concentrator, they asked for a fitmness to travel letter from my husband's doctor. I have no problem with that. I also have no problem filling out HAL's and Carnivals special needs forms that ask for the dimensions of his wheelchair, tyoe of oxygen, ability to get on a bus, etc.

However, when filling out our pre-boarding forms I noticed that Princess has a medical form which among other things asks for authorization to access medical records, hospitalizations, exacerbations, medications, etc. At the same time, it states that they are not responsible for equipment or care related to chronic illnesses. I feel like this is an invasion of privacy. Does anyone know if this is optional or if they will require us to get his doctor to fill it out?

Almost every other cruise we are on the ship has to skip a port and go elsewhere because of a sick passenger. I think they are trying to avoid that and make sure that all passengers are well enough to survive the voyage.

On our Christmas cruise it was a young man with pre-teen children, so you never know.

Being well enough is not the issue. The only emergency my husband has ever has aboard a ship was not related to his disbaility. It was a heart attack, prior to which he had shown no signs of heart problems.

I understand there might be concern due to the fact he uses oxygen at night, but his doctor has cleared him for travel and will provide Princess a letter to thta effect. In my mind, that should be all they need.

we just returned on Jan 28 from a princess cruise. I am a quad and have never been asked to complete a medical form. When did this start?

What is the special needs phone number? Princess tells us they have no such department

I gave them my fitness to travel letter and simply ignored the medical questions form. If you wish to fill out some of it, then cross out the parts you refuse to answer and do not sign for the permission you mentioned.

Splinter and canuk05:

I may have been mistaken when I stated that I called their special needs dept. I called their regular number and asked to speak to someone about bringing oxygena and was transferred to a rep. From experience with RCCL, HAL, CCL, etc. I assumed that I was speaking to a special needs rep, but may not have been.

To be honest, I wouldn't release my medical records to any doctor that wasn't actually treating me. I think it's appropriate to ask for a fitness to travel letter, and of course the type and the dimensions of equipment that you will be bringing aboard. Beyond that, I feel they are stepping over the line.

And yes, people do get taken off the ship for emergencies -- but as somebody else pointed out -- it's not always the folks in the accessible cabins.

Candy

• 9 years later...

Does anyone know how far in advance the medical form can be signed by the Doc and faxed to Princess? I can usually find answers to when would be the latest but not how far in advance is acceptable. I sent an email to Princess and the answer was to send it in 7 days prior to sailing. Wrong answer.

Does anyone know how far in advance the medical form can be signed by the Doc and faxed to Princess? I can usually find answers to when would be the latest but not how far in advance is acceptable. I sent an email to Princess and the answer was to send it in 7 days prior to sailing. Wrong answer.

Perplexed as to why do you think 7 days prior to sailing is the wrong answer being that Princess Cruises supplied you with that information?

Think about it. For example let's say your cruise is six months out and you attempt to get a fit to travel letter signed by your doctor now. It's highly unlikely that any credible doctor will place themself at risk for a liability lawsuit by signing such letter 6 months out from the cruise date. Reason being that the doctor has no why to determine that you will be fit to travel in 6 months .

Edited by xxoocruiser

It is the wrong answer because in the past, as recently as last week, I have sent it right after final payment. I think the answer of 7 days is the minimum time not maximum.

Even more perplexing as to why you even bothered to ask Princess being that you've always sent it after final payment . Hopefully you've purchased Travel Insurance in the unlikely event that something does prevent you from cruising .

I am a regular with Princess (Elite). I use a POC and a scooter. I book an HC Cabin. I used to fill out the form and have my doctor sign it every cruise. Then I got tired of it, since I cruise at least two or three times a year. None of the information changed from time to time. After awhile I realized that they weren't asking for it, so I just stopped all together. My last cruise I stopped by Passenger Service to make sure I was on the assist list in an emergency, and they assured me that I was.

As long as nothing has changed, I think I'm good to go as is.

Fern