i-pods?

Kathy & George

Oh my goodness, Kathy... this is too freaky. As I was driving around town today, running errands, I thought about this and decided to come online and ask the EXACT SAME QUESTION! We really are a lot alike! LOL

Okay, folks... can Kathy and I rent IPods on the Infinity in three weeks??

Stacy

...used to be available for rental on a daily basis for $10 per day at Notes. I just don't know if the service is still offered. I believe you could download any genre of music - but I'm not sure how many songs would be downloaded for you.

I've brought my own iPod on board for our last 2 cruises and it's been wonderful - especially on sea days by the pool or for jogging/walking.

Thanks for the info...I thought I saw somewhere that it was available, but I wasn't sure. Love these boards!

Considering all the problems Celebrity has had with their Pods on the ships, there has to be a joke in here somewhere. Where's Newt when we need him.

I am interested in purchasing an ipod. just wondering what some of you that own one might reccommend.....brand vs price?

Thanks in advance

IPOD is the brand name for those from Apple, they are sold at a standard price, best type would be those with video.

The librarian will download as many songs as you'd like and have the patience to wait for. They have a large catalogue for you to peruse. You can also return your ipod to have new songs put in.

This is kind of a subjective call. We purchased an Ipod Nano (around $200.00 at the Apple store, but I really don't remember exactly), which is about the size of a credit card (no video display on this model as it is just for music). It has a 2GB or 4 GB storage device on it (depending on which one you buy) and my wife loves it. You can hookup any standard type of minijack headphones with it. It really sounds good with the new Bose Quiet Comfort headphones.

As to rentals on the ship. I believe that all the "M" class ships have had their Notes converted to the Computer labs??? So no more rentals, perhaps the library may rent them now??

I am interested in purchasing an ipod. just wondering what some of you that own one might reccommend.....brand vs price?

Thanks in advance

I have one of the older Apple iPods - the 15 gig, non-video version. All of the Apple models - video or music - only use iTunes for downloading music at .99 per song - or you can download music (free) from your own CDs. Now, you can download podcasts, too. I can only vouch for the iPod and no other MP3 players - I just LOVE mine! The iTunes library is huge and friends and family can give you gift cards (available from Apples stores, Target and other retailers) as gifts in a variety of denominations. Installing the iTunes program on your Mac or PC is free. I've had mine for about 2 years now and have only downloaded 392 songs of the 5,000 capacity my iPod holds. Just be sure to buy the charger and keep it charged. You can also buy one of 2 kinds of car players that charge simultaneously, too.

I wouldn't think of cruising or flying without my iPod! And, no, I don't work for Apple! :D

Is itunes the best site for books? Or can anyone suggest an alternative site? I got Camel Club for my husband for a very reasonable price ($10?) but my son ended up paying $26 for Joseph Conrad's book Heart of Darkness. I would have expected just the opposite to happen.

And if you load book cds onto your computer and then your ipod, does it function as well as the format you download directly from itunes?

Is itunes the best site for books? Or can anyone suggest an alternative site? I got Camel Club for my husband for a very reasonable price ($10?) but my son ended up paying $26 for Joseph Conrad's book Heart of Darkness. I would have expected just the opposite to happen.

And if you load book cds onto your computer and then your ipod, does it function as well as the format you download directly from itunes?

Books on the iTunes Music Store cost anywhere from $10 to $30 or so.

audible.com has two subscription plans where you pay a small monthly fee and get one or two books per month. That seems like a good deal.

Or, as another poster mentioned, you can get books on CD from your local library and transfer them to your computer, then to your iPod. This might require a few "tricks" depending on what format they're in. Books obtained in this method might not "remember" the playback position, but there's a way to make that work too.

Books obtained in this method might not "remember" the playback position, but there's a way to make that work too.

I think that's what my husband said the problem was with the book from the library I put on his ipod. Then again, he's still learning how to make the ipod function properly--as am I.

Thanks so much for the information! I'll look into audible.

I've looked at them several times but usually wind up so confused when I try to figure out what I want and where to get the best price that I give up. One friend told me the Dell one uses another format he likes better, but then I couldn't find the type he had on the website.

Being technologically challenged is sometimes a bummer!:)

[/i've looked at them several times but usually wind up so confused when I try to figure out what I want and where to get the best price that I give up. One friend told me the Dell one uses another format he likes better, but then I couldn't find the type he had on the website.QUOTE]

I don't know anything about the different types of players...we all have i-pods. For us, the most important features were ease of use and battery life. Ease of use is pretty obvious--we are technically challenged. Battery life is especially important when traveling. Battling other travelers for that one outlet in the waiting area so you can charge your i-pod and then sitting on the floor to guard the i-pod is not very dignified. ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :D

A further argument in favour of the larger capacity iPods (or indeed any other MP3 player, come to that) is that you may be able to use them to download photos onto, from a digital camera. Not necessarily to look at, but for storage until you get home. When we cruised on MSC Sinfonia last May I specifically decided not to take my Powerbook but to download everything I took onto the iPod, thus freeing up my CF cards.

A further argument in favour of the larger capacity iPods (or indeed any other MP3 player, come to that) is that you may be able to use them to download photos onto, from a digital camera. Not necessarily to look at, but for storage until you get home. When we cruised on MSC Sinfonia last May I specifically decided not to take my Powerbook but to download everything I took onto the iPod, thus freeing up my CF cards.

I think that may work for Apple to Apple transfers, but somebody posted on another thread that the resolution is lower on the iPod so that the final picture quality won't be as good as the picture you took if you're transferring to a PC. I would just get a couple of 512k or 1gb memory sticks for the camera and call it good (I'm not a shutterbug so I don't even fill up the 512k that I have).

As for the iPod, I love my Nano, but have just used it for music, although I may have to try an audiobook for my upcoming trip, just to see how it goes. As an aging baby boomer, I can't even see the controls without my readers, so I don't think a video function will be for me until the FDA approves Lasik for presbyopia.:(

Archived