Cruise & Travel Director position

VACARITraveler

14 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

The cruise directors do many things that you do not see, mainly involved with supervision/coordination of all activities for passengers.  

People have posted that the activities are scheduled by Seattle. I assume it is true, I had a cruise director state that he did not know he was scheduled for trivia once. If I wanted to save money, I would do away with the introductions to the performers, just open the curtain and let the show begin. I definitely don't need someone to tell me that the mediocre performers are great and to tell me to applaud them.

Muster drill announcements could be prerecorded as could the commercial announcements for the shops, spa, and acupuncture. I could get along quite well without a cruise director, would not enjoy a cruise without decent lecturers.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, swin26 said:

Ian Page was promoted to one of the new positions.  We have sailed with him a few times and he is excellent and knows the ports well. He is on gangway answering questions and is regularly seen around the ship.  I hope to sail with him again, in his new role!  I forget which ship he was assigned to.  

We lunched with Ian prior to him joining his new ship ms Volendam in Vancouver, BC. We have always found Ian to be bright, personally helpful and on all occasions upbeat.  He appeared to be at the top of his game most positively chatting about the revised position he is undertaking.   His ship finishes the Alaska run, sails thru the Panama and undertakes a refit prior to the Grand South America.  Guests sailing with Ian are quite fortunate to have him on board. Enjoy...

• Like 2

Our last cruise was on the Zaandam August/September 2018 to Alaska.

The EXC guide was excellent although sadly I do not remember her name. She was an Alaskan and her knowledge was excellent and her talks really added to our cruise experience.

We have recently booked a South American cruise with HAL. This will be a new destination for us and a good EXC guide will be much needed. It will be most disappointing if we do not have the added benefit of such a person.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, vancpl said:

We lunched with Ian prior to him joining his new ship ms Volendam in Vancouver, BC. We have always found Ian to be bright, personally helpful and on all occasions upbeat.  He appeared to be at the top of his game most positively chatting about the revised position he is undertaking.   His ship finishes the Alaska run, sails thru the Panama and undertakes a refit prior to the Grand South America.  Guests sailing with Ian are quite fortunate to have him on board. Enjoy...

Did he happen to mention if he will be on for the Grand South America starting Jan 5?

Edited by iflyrc5

Yes, I guess I wasn't specific enough.  Ian will be the combined CD/EXC Director on the Grand SA departing Jan 5.  After the Volendam refit, the ship will be configured with all the gadgets to support the EXC task.  Ian is quite impressed with the new look and he will make a super CD.  As mentioned, you folks enjoy.  If we were not on the Grand World, we might repeat the Grand SA just to sail again with Ian.