Final word from RCCL on Jeans-in-Dining-Room policy

PAGA

To answer your question, they don't want to say it is unacceptable because they don't want people to not show up who want to wear jeans. If I had a relative or friend tell me that he/she wanted to wear jeans to my wedding, I wouldn't want them to, but I'd propably rather have them show up in jeans than not at all, I would not be happy though.

Puh-leeze....A wedding is formal, not casual.

Many of these NUMEROUS threads are not debating whether or not jeans are ok on formal night. Most people in favor of the jeans are only in favor on casual nights. I think everyone can agree jeans are not formal wear, right?

Please let's let one this die. The poor horse is dead. Elvis has left the building.

Puh-leeze....A wedding is formal, not casual.

Many of these NUMEROUS threads are not debating whether or not jeans are ok on formal night. Most people in favor of the jeans are only in favor on casual nights. I think everyone can agree jeans are not formal wear, right?

Please let's let one this die. The poor horse is dead. Elvis has left the building.

But a casual night on a cruiseship is not the same as a casual night at Applebees, but that is what you want to make it be.

But a casual night on a cruiseship is not the same as a casual night at Applebees, but that is what you want to make it be.

If the shoe fits...

A ships dining room makes food for several thousand people all to be served at the same time. Then they bring it out with plastic covers usually found in hospitals or for room service. This is no where near a 4 or 5 star experience. The dining room itself may seem elegant, but the food is no better than buffet food. Formal nights are nice, and I enjoy dressing up for those, and smart casual as well. But casual nights are just that...casual.

If the shoe fits...

A ships dining room makes food for several thousand people all to be served at the same time. Then they bring it out with plastic covers usually found in hospitals or for room service. This is no where near a 4 or 5 star experience. The dining room itself may seem elegant, but the food is no better than buffet food. Formal nights are nice, and I enjoy dressing up for those, and smart casual as well. But casual nights are just that...casual.

Are you one of those people who honestly think dining room food on a cruiseship is no better than buffet food?

What kind of buffets do you eat at? What restaurants do you usually eat at?

It amazes me when people say that, I know they are just looking for something to complain about.

The only thing you can come up with is that they use plastic covers.

I am not complaining about the food, but I do not think it is a 4 or 5 star experience. I live in Los Angeles, and I have particular taste in food. It is not gourmet food in my opinion. It is also not horrible food. It is good, just not 4 or 5 star. If I didn't like it at all I wouldn't cruise. I love every aspect of cruising, including the food. I just don't think it is as gourmet as some make it out to be.

The point I was trying to make with the plastic covers and with the making food in bulk is that you can't have a 4 or 5 star experience when you are making that much food for that any people at one time. It is buffet food if made in bulk. The difference is that they put it on the plate for you. Never did I say the food was bad, just not at the top.

p.s. I have never once complained about a cruise or vacation I have been on. No matter what, any vacation is better than being at home. So no, I am not looking for something to complain about.

I am not complaining about the food, but I do not think it is a 4 or 5 star experience. I live in Los Angeles, and I have particular taste in food. It is not gourmet food in my opinion. It is also not horrible food. It is good, just not 4 or 5 star. If I didn't like it at all I wouldn't cruise. I love every aspect of cruising, including the food. I just don't think it is as gourmet as some make it out to be.

The point I was trying to make with the plastic covers and with the making food in bulk is that you can't have a 4 or 5 star experience when you are making that much food for that any people at one time. It is buffet food if made in bulk. The difference is that they put it on the plate for you. Never did I say the food was bad, just not at the top.

p.s. I have never once complained about a cruise or vacation I have been on. No matter what, any vacation is better than being at home. So no, I am not looking for something to complain about.

Not once have I every said anything referring to any number of star dining. That has nothing to do with it, other people have but I haven't. It is the event of dinner, and dinner is more than "just dinner" on a cruiseship, it is an event in itself, at least it has been on the three different lines I have been on. (Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Holland America)

When you go to a wedding, it is not the dinner that makes you dress up, it is the event. Weddings aren't any star rating (well, most aren't), so do you say that because it isn't 5 star dining, you don't dress properly?

I agree with you Fitz! I've seen the special on TV where they show the assembly line in the kitchen which of course you wouldn't expect in a 4 or 5 star restaurant. Personally I think it is amazing that they can manage to serve the food to 1000 people at the same time and get it to the table still hot. Certainly not complaining. Now I might could equate cruise dining to a large catered event where you are served reasonably good food with limited choices.

It is the event of dinner, and dinner is more than "just dinner" on a cruiseship, it is an event in itself, at least it has been on the three different lines I have been on. (Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Holland America)

I guess this is where we differ. Been on RCI twice and Princess twice. It is just dinner to me. A means of nourishment. Not a life-altering, mind-blowing event. Just good food with good people. No matter what they are wearing.

I guess this is where we differ. Been on RCI twice and Princess twice. It is just dinner to me. A means of nourishment. Not a life-altering, mind-blowing event. Just good food with good people. No matter what they are wearing.

I suppose, but I think alot of people look at dinner as I do, as kind of THE event the evening is centered upon.

It was the casual nights I was asking about. In fact I never made a reference to formal nights. Although I don't know how to make my previous quote appear in a nice gray box, here's what I said in the original post:

"I have read the following dress code which clearly does not prohibit jeans (since jeans are pants and it is suggested that women wear pants on casual night) so where is the infamous "no jean" policy?"

I guess people want to back peddle now and pretend that we were debating whether or not to wear jeans to what is designated as a formal occasion!

You would think it would be common sense to just not wear Jeans any night in the elegant dining rooms on any ship! Even on casual night one can/should wear kaki's at a minium, but in general you should have respect for yourself, the establishment and not to mention the fellow passengers.

If someone cannot abide by that, they have the option of going to the buffet, which I would think would be much better then making a fool of oneself!

On the subject of jeans being worn in the formal dining room, as I see it, this is just another result of the dumbing down of our society and the respect for guildlines and tradition.

The sad part is once tradition has been broken, it almost never returns.

Aubie

You would think it would be common sense to just not wear Jeans any night in the elegant dining rooms on any ship! Even on casual night one can/should wear kaki's at a minium, but in general you should have respect for yourself, the establishment and not to mention the fellow passengers.

If someone cannot abide by that, they have the option of going to the buffet, which I would think would be much better then making a fool of oneself!

I feel exactly the same way you do, but I've learned on this thread that people feel food in the dining rooms really belive it is no better than buffet food...which I think is crazy.

But I'm starting to think that it is a lack of respect for the dining room service that people use to justify their wearing jeans. I think it comes from people who are so unpleaseable that no one is worthy of them dressing up properly for, at least in their minds.

But yes, I'm with you, you would think it would be common sense, it is to me, and lots of others, but not everybody. I don't understand why not.

People say that because it doesn't explicitly prohibit them from wearing jeans, then it must be ok, which is in my opinion, not very good reasoning.

On the subject of jeans being worn in the formal dining room, as I see it, this is just another result of the dumbing down of our society and the respect for guildlines and tradition.

The sad part is once tradition has been broken, it almost never returns.

Aubie

You're right, 10 years from now, it will be just like Applebee's or Chili's on a cruiseship.

Seriously...

Does this vulgar ensemble really have anyplace in a dining room? ;)

Some people just don't have any class.

capture_1_9

I understand the point you are trying to make, I really do, but my answer still stands, no, it does not have a place in a cruiseship dining room during dinner, even on casual nights.

Or they have the option of going to dinner in jeans and sitting next to you in your pretty little dress. ;)

I'll respond.:D :rolleyes: Note it says "casual attire evenings". I'm not sure that was ever the argument, but more to the point, that people wear them on other nights that were not casual. Such as formal and "smart casual".

Those are the nights that I think have been argued over. Everyone knows they are allowed on the first, last, and any other designated "casual" night.

Open mouth, insert foot.:D ;)

Since I was the person who started the thread I can tell you without hesitation that it was about Casual Attire. I clearly stated we had formal attire and planned to wear it.

You have to read and LISTEN to what people are saying rather than simply making your argument and giving your opinion.

OPEN WIDE.

By the way, I am so over this....say whatever you want....I am NOT planning on reading any of it.

Since I was the person who started the thread I can tell you without hesitation that it was about Casual Attire. I clearly stated we had formal attire and planned to wear it.

You have to read and LISTEN to what people are saying rather than simply making your argument and giving your opinion.

OPEN WIDE.

By the way, I am so over this....say whatever you want....I am NOT planning on reading any of it.

Perhaps if you would take some of your own advice, you would see that most people on here understand the original post was about casual night, but the discussion has changed to encompass all nights, not just casual nights. Maybe you should read and LISTEN to what people are saying rather than simply making your argument and giving your opinion.

One final word to all the PERFECT WONDERFUL parents who wrote in to tell me that it wasn't about the attire it was about following the rules....

Well I guess I get the last laugh...since those ARE THE RULES!

All of you perfect people who have all the answers ...why don't you all get off these boards and go out and save the world....or at least go do a good deed...I promise you won't have to look hard as there are people everywhere who could use a little help.

I did not respond not because I don't want to admit anything, but simply because I didn't see this post.

Besides, I believe you fabricated your response.

Also, even if you didn't, how many hundreds of times have there been posts (on any subject) complaining about how the various points of contact for Royal Caribbean have been wrong or misleading?

And I also wonder how the question was posed. Royal Caribbean I found doesn't want to say no to any of their passengers (which is mostly a good thing), so if you asked the question with bias saying you really hope you are allowed to wear jeans, they probably formed their response to make you happy. On the other hand, if someone were to pose the question making it seem like they would be unhappy if jeans were allowed, then I bet the company would respond saying they are NOT allowed.

OUCH!!! I was the original poster of this thread and if you do a search of my name (PAGA) you will find me posting in *favor* of no jeans in the dining room. I have complained about the increasing number of folks in jeans in reviews of the Radiance and Enchantment, as well as in posts about teen dress codes. In fact, on my review of Radiance from Thanksgiving '05 I even went so far as to suggest that RCCL should utilize their 2-story dining rooms to have 1 level "casual/jeans ok" and 1 level dressier w/ the normal 2 formal nights -- so that I, in my "fancy" clothes don't feel over-dressed in a room full of people in jeans.

So that being said, the question to RCCL was posed as follows: "Please help settle a debate: Are denim jeans allowed to be worn in the dining room during dinner?" Your insinuation that I "fabricated" the RCCL customer service response is outrageous!! Though I do agree that the RCCL response is not always accurate, I have now been told by both an RCCL dining room server on Enchantment in March '05 and by an email customer service rep that jeans are aceeptable on casual nights. - Do I like the response -- NO! But I also now know from research that Celebrity DOES have a no-jeans at dinner policy, so I can return to that cruiseline if it bothers me too much.

What an obnoxious response..."maybe we can get you there"

Oh well. Quite frankly, I didn't intend for you to be offended. I actually thought that perhaps you could work this out as to why the cruiseline prefers to leave casual alone. Let me offer my take. RCI finds that their ROI has increased tremendously by offering what they perceive as a no hassles family vacation. Their marketing group has taken note that our society over the years has ventured to the casual side. Some don't like it but there are many that do. Venture to look at how many new ships have been brought to market in the last ten years. I will venture that they are directly appealing to the casual market. Note how smart casual nights have virtually disappeared.

Now perhaps you get yourself all tied up in your shorts because RCI does not agree with your interpretation. But until the host does and clearly indicates that, I support those who want to wear their denims to the casual evenings.

I really think some of you need to dress-up and get out more when you're at home. ;)

I usually just laugh these posts off, and honestly never thought of wearing jeans to dinner, however my party of ten have decided to wear jeans to dinner on casual night just to annoy any person who thinks they have a right to tell us what we should or shouldn't wear. As long as we follow the guidelines it is no one else's business what we wear - Bring on the jeans!:D

Archived