En Vivo-La Estrella Con FlyingPirate-From the Star

flyingpirate

Loved all your posts and as I said in another thread, everytime I read something you post I think you and your DH would be fun to travel with.

O.K. more questions...

We fly in to LA a day before sailing, arriving around noon. What to do, where to stay, we would love some suggestions. We mostly considered staying around Long Beach or San Pedro... but the Beverly Hills thing has its appeal. What do you suggest?

MN -

As I said on that other thread, come on then!

I've got my pictures up now and you should be able to see the balconies a bit.

We're shooting from the AA on the front corner, then the AC next door has a bulkhead door and I believe that the AC next to that has the sliding glass door. So, its AA AC AC AC AC AA and bulkhead, bh, glass, glass, bh,bh, all with rain at night on 10!

French toiletries - Mais Oui!

Upgraded Bathroom and Linens and Robes - Si!

Flowers, Fruit, Treats - Tambien!

Email me back channel with a little more about you guys so I can better suggest ideas for you in LA/BH. Smugglersblues at flyingpirate.com.

Thanks for the great pics Laurel. I wish I taken more. Your review was wonderful too. I am still hoping to post our high notes of the Star oneday soon. :)

We are waiting to read them too!!

Thanks for the pictures they are great.

MN -

As I said on that other thread, come on then!

I've got my pictures up now and you should be able to see the balconies a bit.

We're shooting from the AA on the front corner, then the AC next door has a bulkhead door and I believe that the AC next to that has the sliding glass door. So, its AA AC AC AC AC AA and bulkhead, bh, glass, glass, bh,bh, all with rain at night on 10!

French toiletries - Mais Oui!

Upgraded Bathroom and Linens and Robes - Si!

Flowers, Fruit, Treats - Tambien!

Email me back channel with a little more about you guys so I can better suggest ideas for you in LA/BH. Smugglersblues at flyingpirate.com.

I'm so confused because the NCL website says that all the AC's have a sliding glass door. It would not be the first time they are slightly wrong but having a sliding glass door for us is crucial. Any further input would be great.

O.K. on to our travel plans. We are DH and myself, mid-forties usually travel with kids but not this time. Looking for time alone, relaxation and stress free times. We arrive in L.A. at 12:20 p.m. the day before sailing. Would like to fit in some site seeing despite not having much time and will also have a day the ship returns as our flight is not until 7:00 p.m. We've been to L.A. before but for business. Have done the Disneyland thing. BTW, we usually enjoy getting on the ship as soon as we can but can be persuaded otherwise if there is a must-see thing. We have looked at hotels online including the Beverly Hills area, Long Beach and San Pedro. Also, looked at the Queen Mary. Have nothing booked yet but are getting anxious to get it done.

MN -

I love when NCL is "slightly wrong"......

In the Mexican Riviera glossy brochure book, full page, it clearly states "owner's suite has private balcony with hot tub"....

Darn if I didn't spend the whole first day searching for my personal soaker. Never did find the advertised hot tub.

I know for sure the outer ACs have bulkhead doors that are left open so that access to the balc is by regular wooden door, actually very nice,as there is a huge floor to ceiling picture window, the size of a sliding glass door, right next to it. I'm pretty sure the inner two ACs have sliders. Which AC have you booked, I can tell you if you have a slider or not.

Let me stew on hotels and what might be fun and I'll call you back. Will you be renting a car?

Laurel: I just got a great upsell on my March 1 cruise on the Star. I am going to the AA Owners Suite 10006. The other corner from where you were. Wonder if it is decorated the same. I enjoyed looking at your pictures again.

With this being starboard, will I ever get a great view from my side balcony?

It is a big suite for a solo cruiser but the offer was too good to pass up.

Very excited !!!

Marilyn

MN -

I love when NCL is "slightly wrong"......

In the Mexican Riviera glossy brochure book, full page, it clearly states "owner's suite has private balcony with hot tub"....

Darn if I didn't spend the whole first day searching for my personal soaker. Never did find the advertised hot tub.

I know for sure the outer ACs have bulkhead doors that are left open so that access to the balc is by regular wooden door, actually very nice,as there is a huge floor to ceiling picture window, the size of a sliding glass door, right next to it. I'm pretty sure the inner two ACs have sliders. Which AC have you booked, I can tell you if you have a slider or not.

Let me stew on hotels and what might be fun and I'll call you back. Will you be renting a car?

Well, we don't have an AC but we were hoping for an upsell to either an AC, AD or AE. We were offered one yesterday and at a fair price, but DH says no due to many financial obligations with taking care of my sick sister. I think I mentioned somewhere here that my sis has Ovarian Cancer and is learning disabled so it's been a tough year. Plus, we still have our trip in the summer so that takes care of the vacation dollars. Makes sense... but I'm feeling blue today. So, we'll stay with our AFT balcony stateroom and be grateful for being able to go at all.

Hello flyingpirate: I have a question about the computer in the Owners Suite. Is it hard connected to the internet or can I take it off and connect my own laptop to the internet. I would rather have my own laptop, with which I am familiar, with me.

Thanks

Marilyn

Marilyn -

Wowsers! This is, indeed, an incredible upsell for a solo cruiser, you sound almost as self indulgent as I am! :D Are you sure you don't want to join us for a quick jaunt to the WC in the GV?

10006 is the Van Gogh Suite and I understand from Roberto that it is the second nicest of the four AAs, 10506 being the "brightest, mostest cheerful, richest cabin besides de house on top". His opinion, it IS yellow! 10006 has the exact flooorplan and the furnishings should be similar. You will love it and you will be spoiled. One of the reasons I fear the GV, I might never be able to go back to AA. Oh, the dark side of cruising.

In Manzanillo we had the terminal, and I never saw the other side, so you might have a decent view. You'll have the terminal in Mazatlan. I never saw it, so I don't know how bad it is, but I understand it's pretty industrial. In PV and Cabo, you'll swing on anchor, so the view will change all day, it's wonderful. I loved going back and forth between the balcs, sunning, shading, cruise ships and harbor on one side, whales and dolpin on the other. Very cool. And you should get some fantastic sunsets as you go south. You'll always have continuing wonder from the bowbalc. :D

As far as the laptop, it is a decent Toshiba Satellite! It's a regular easy connect, so you can bring your own if you'd like. The printer is a flimsy HP 320, printers are all out of ink, no replacements were on board. Internet cafe mgr was noncompos. No one but the room stewards really seems to even know there are computers and printers in the AAs. You should check on use of your own, though, because, you can't use package minutes in your room and in wifi areas too. We used theirs and brought pertinent software.

You're going to have so much fun, especially solo! I'm starting to get excited about the Caribe now.....

Thanks Laurel for all of your help. I am so excited for my first Owner's Suite. I have always had a Penthouse suite, but this will be the first Owner's. My husband is trying to get ahead at work so that he can join me. Could be last minute before he will know if he can get away.

I also have an Owners Suite #9506 booked for Alaska in July.

I think that I will bring my own laptop. I don't think that I use the WiFi anyway. I prefer to use the computer in my suite.

Enjoy your next cruise in the Caribbean. I have been on the Dawn twice in an AB Penthouse each time. Very similiar to the Star.

Mariyn

Gee, MN, whatta jerk I must appear -

I had your question sitting on my screen right after I finished with Marilyn's, then I minimized it......and promptly left it sitting for a couple of days. I'm so sorry.

In my previous message I was going to say that you are blessed with a DH with common sense and a warm and generous soul for helping care for your sister, not all men would do so. Now, about that common sense....Congrats on the upsell, you know you it's worth it!!:D Sometimes ya just gotta say what the ........! And it's well worth it, otherwise San Pedro can be a madhouse.

When we got the curb, I grabbed an NCL rep, told her we had an owner's suite and a porter, gave him the bags, the rep took us through the front doors, past the line. Through the detectors, to the VIP desk, they checked us in, took pics, Natasha ran down from the ship for us, taking us past the line waiting to embark on the gangway, comandeering an elevator, right to the cabin....it was quite convenient and I look forward to comparing the Dawn next month.

Don't just get in line, find a rep, either port or NCL, let them know you're VIP and that You Have Arrived. If you haven't grabbed a porter yet, he/she will get you one. Don't try to check in your own luggage, it will delay your embarkation.

And if you like the French toiletries, L'Occitane just opened a store in Beverly HIlls. :) Have you figured out where you're staying? Car? What is your cruise date. Will I be here? The Star confuses me so much with that 8 day schedule.

Archived