Island Wings vs. Southeast Aviation

rockmich

Good Morning all-

I think I finally have the flight-seeing trip to the Misty Fjords narrowed down to Island Wings or Southeast Aviation. So, here is my question... Michelle at Island Wings makes it a point on her website to point out that you actually land at the park and are able to walk around for 20-30mins. Does anyone know if Island Wings does the same?

Thanks in advance for the info...

This site has been a wealth of info- much better than what I am finding in travel books.

I went with Michelle at Island Wings last summer. We landed on a mountain lake (Big Goat Lake ele1700') and were able to walk around for 20-30 minutes. It was more beautiful than I have words to describe. The we got back in the plane to continue our flight see.

I cannot speak for SE Aviation, but I'm certain another poster will be along in a short while.

Michelle did have voice activated headsets in the plane, so we could easily communicate with her. It was a wonderful trip and I highly recommend her. (But be patient with her office operation - they were very slow to respond - but in the end - everything worked out just fine.) :)

I have flown many times with both companies, highly recommend both. Last year there were restrictions placed on the landings within Misty Fjords. Southeast Aviation runs three planes, not all can land, but they do have more availablity for flights. Michelle is one person and books up fast, she can't be in two places at one time. I would inquire of her if she ALWAYS lands and if permits are necessary this year??

Michelle and I had a lovely conversation this morning via email.

Michelle said,

"You have always needed a special use permit to land on the lakes within the fjords. You have to pay a fee for every person you bring for this priviledge to the US Forest Service. Island WIngs has had a permit for 14 years."

What a fast response to a quick question.

DH and I toured Misty Fjords with Island Wings late August last year. It was a very rainy morning and rather than land on the lake and walk around, we landed at the floating tarmac like some of the other tours do. Luckily, we were the first there and enjoyed the peace and solitude sheltered under the wing of her plane. To make it up to us, Michelle extended the flight portion of the tour to view areas of Misty Fjords not typically included in the flights. It was wonderful and she was so helpful and eager to share her experiences with us.

Archived