Sony anounced the A9 II today

pierces

Anybody need way too much camera for cruise photography? 🙂

Many of us on these boards use our camera for much more than vacation shooting and even if you don't, all the chit-chat about new tech helps pass the time between cruises.

Here's a little more chat about some new... Almost said it. 🙂

Sony just announced the A9 mark II. Officially the ILCE9M2/B (body only). Below are the standout features.

• Same 24MP stacked sensor with new processor for faster AF,
  • Updated body controls with mostly the same changes made to the A7rIV with better weatherproofing, deeper grip and more tactile controls.
  • Same 20 fps no-blackout e-shutter shooting with full-time tracking AF (including eye-AF) and exposure control sampled 60 times per second. Mechanical shutter doubled to 10 fps with a 500,000 actuation durability rating.
  • Eye-AF for movie added in addition to right eye/left eye preference and animal with new algorithms.
  • ISO 50-102400
  • 239 RAW, 361 JPEG buffer
  • Gigabit ethernet port and 802.11ac wireless connectivity
  • App connectivity to tag images with speech to text
  • Not super clear but it looks like it can transfer images with voice annotations directly to an FTP server via wireless ethernet or even a phone set to serve as a hotspot.
  • Dual high-speed UHS2 SD card slots.
  • Pricing same as original at $4498

Do I want one? Of course! It's a high-tech photographic rocket ship with clanging bells and very loud whistles!

Do it need one for the photography that I typically do? Not at all.

Will I get one? Not likely.

My Wonderful Wife used to tell people that she would rather have a $20 purse with $1000 in it than a $1000 purse with $20 in it and I think that translates well to cameras and travel. I'd rather have a capable camera and a few decent lenses recording our world travels than awesome gear with fantastically detailed photos of my dog, the back yard, bookcase and the local quilt show. And, for the record, WW recently told me that she now wants the $1000 purse with $1000 in it. So there's that.

Of course, that sensible and moderate view will disappear like free donuts in a break room if I get a big raise or a lottery ticket has the right numbers.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 1

... presents a great opportunity to get an A9 cheaper. 

For most if us, there are no major differences between the a9 and a9ii. 

The BIG differences are only meaningful for a couple thousand professional sports photographers — upgrades to the Ethernet and FTP.... the lifeblood for the pro sports shooter who needs to get the basketball slam dunk photo to their editor and publisher during a 2 minute timeout. 

The only upgrades meaningful to the broader market? Slightly better ergonomics with improved grip and buttons and dual uhs-ii cards.

Surprisingly, didn’t even get increased EVF resolution for video LOG. 

So if you literally aren’t shooting at the Olympics... the original a9 is basically the same camera for $1,000 or more cheaper. 

1 hour ago, havoc315 said:

... presents a great opportunity to get an A9 cheaper. 

For most if us, there are no major differences between the a9 and a9ii. 

The BIG differences are only meaningful for a couple thousand professional sports photographers — upgrades to the Ethernet and FTP.... the lifeblood for the pro sports shooter who needs to get the basketball slam dunk photo to their editor and publisher during a 2 minute timeout. 

The only upgrades meaningful to the broader market? Slightly better ergonomics with improved grip and buttons and dual uhs-ii cards.

Surprisingly, didn’t even get increased EVF resolution for video LOG. 

So if you literally aren’t shooting at the Olympics... the original a9 is basically the same camera for $1,000 or more cheaper. 

That's about it. WooHoo for sports shooters. Quiet admiration for the tech from the rest of us.

The EVF choice is probably related to maintaining a high refresh rate for the blackout-free shooting. Probably was an issue for the higher-res LCD.

No new threat to my lens fund!

Dave

21 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Between the A9 and the A7 IV it seems like the A9II is going to be a tough sale.  I have Canon equipment but the innovation found in Sony has always interested me; I hope this isn't a sign of stagnation.

22 hours ago, pierces said:

And, for the record, WW recently told me that she now wants the $1000 purse with $1000 in it. So there's that.

Sounds like its time to reconsider your equipment 🙂

fuji.jpg

1 hour ago, AL3XCruise said:

Between the A9 and the A7 IV it seems like the A9II is going to be a tough sale.  I have Canon equipment but the innovation found in Sony has always interested me; I hope this isn't a sign of stagnation.

The changes made were in response to a wide survey of sports and journalism shooters. The connectivity features added put the A9 on par with the connectivity options available to working pros across all brands. The Incremental improvements to the already class-leading AF and tracking were a plus and the weather sealing and body ergonomics from the A7rIV were in line with Sony's tendency to reuse design elements across similar models to both standardize and reduce R&D/manufacturing costs.

Your illustration of a recommended new camera was mean. With the kitchen project, upcoming cruises and the purse, I can't afford anything that nice!

Dave

Edited by pierces

1 hour ago, pierces said:

The changes made were in response to a wide survey of sports and journalism shooters. The connectivity features added put the A9 on par with the connectivity options available to working pros across all brands. 

I get that.  I guess seeing Sony "catch up" to other brands isn't quite as exciting as when they are taking big steps forward, but they are important to be competitive.

The Incremental improvements to the already class-leading AF and tracking were a plus and the weather sealing and body ergonomics from the A7rIV were in line with Sony's tendency to reuse design elements across similar models to both standardize and reduce R&D/manufacturing costs.

For most users those seemed like the biggest pluses to me, but I suppose the A9 isn't really meant for most users!  It will be interesting to see how the AF capability compares with that of the A7RIV as both get firmware updates.  I believe the hardware is better on the A9 II, but the other Sony models are pretty darn good.

Your illustration of a recommended new camera was mean. With the kitchen project, upcoming cruises and the purse, I can't afford anything that nice!

I think they make it without the flash...