Celebrity changed our Air Schedule from Seattle - Any Ideas?

sdcruiser

I'm trying to understand why Celebrity changed our air flight home after we dock in Seattle on Aug 27th? Since we are Captains Club members, they accepted our specified flights months ago, without any fee.

Now they moved back our flight by 3 hours, from 11:44am departure to a 2:00pm departure. The airline shows our original flight as still available for that date and was not sure why Celebrity would have made this change..

We're traveling with other family members who booked their own flights home, but now because of this change, we're not going to be traveling with them back home ..icon_frown.gif

Any ideas why Celebrity would have made this change? We're the only ship in port that day (Mercury), so I can't imagine that it is due to higher passenger volume and logistics issues..

SDCruiser

Did you call Celebrity to find out why? Or, if you used a TA, have you spoken to him/her about the problem? How did you find out about the change?

Since it's custom air, and they accepted it, I don't see that they would have any reason to change it at this point. Get a move on and find out what's happening while you still have time! icon_biggrin.gif

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

If all else fails, just try to fly standby on the earlier flight. It all depends on the ticket or gate agent, but if you use a little honey and there are seats available there will be NO charge to change to the earlier flight.

I spent five years working for one of the US major airlines and know a few things about working with the system. The only issue would be your bags, and if that is the case I would gate check them if you get nowhere with the ticket agent.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Char - I called Celebrity and they wouldn't tell me why they made this change, even though I'm the one who specified the flights and they were accepted. I've put a call into my online TA who arranged all of this to see what she can find out. I found out about the change, as I'm able to view our reservation online with the airline.

Thanks for the info flagger..We'll try this if all else fails..

SDCruiser

Could there possibly be a problem with making the earlier flight - taking longer through customs and immigration than originally planned - less screeners at the airport so it takes longer to get to the plane?

I have never had Celebrity change my flight after I have booked custom air unless there was a problem with the flight. They should give you a reason why your flight was changed.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

There is the possibility of, for some reason, of the ship arriving or clearing customs later than anticipated on a regualar basis and folks missing flights before noon? If it were an evening flight, I would be upset, but for little more than 2 hours, I wouldn't invest too much time and effort into it.

I spoke to my TA finally. They have not yet confirmed this with Celebrity, but think the reason the flight was changed was because the 'original flight' Celebrity booked at our request was moved from 12:30pm departure to the 11:44am departure by the Alaska Air. Celebrity's policy for Seattle transfers is flights departing after 12noon, are accepted. I checked back at our original air request, and this all jives..

However, we're still going to try and fly standby on the earlier flight, and catch a cab rather than wait for the Celebrity transfer bus.

Thanks for all your input..

It is much safer with the later departure. We were off the Summit, last year in Vancouver. (we also wewre the only ship in Port that morning) In all my cruises I have never seen such a disembarkment mess(know of which was Celebrity's fault) Bags that wre clearly tagged with colors, being with other colors, very slow to bring luggage out. We dockedf early in the am, had one of the early colors and still waited over and hour and a half for my luggage. Also the wait for a taxi, was about an hour. Your family may be joining you on the later lfight

norm

I would go with the later flight.

Came off Infinity in Vancouver on May 28th, agree with previous poster. Never experienced such chaos, mixed up colours (green with purple etc) No help from Gateway Guest Services ( Celebrity sub contracter). Waited 90 mins for luggage that never arrived, filed lost luggage, chaos trying to get cab to airport, more chaos at airport.

Next day luggage supposedly found, then a week later told it had been "put in error" on RCC ship and gone to Alaska, back at Vancouver a week later, lay around there for another four days until my TA Agency, contacted FedEx for me . Finally got luggage to find case had been broken into, since I had no jewels or camera only clothes nothing stolen

Believe me you really do not want to have such an early flight dis embarkation is stressful enough without worrying about catching an early flight. Remember you have to be at airport about 90 mins ahead of flight and at the gate at least 45 mins before take off time for boarding. All this difficult to do with the schedule you propose.

------

JezzDog and JimsGirl,

Thanks for the words of advice. Either we were lucky twice before, or RCCL has better debarkation procedures than does Celebrity.

On May 8th of this year, we disembarked in Vancouver also and took a flight out of Vancouver at 11:40am, with an hour to spare at the gate. And, it wasn't stressful. We, however, were the first group called off the ship, and the second ones out the door to grab a cab. Also, I believe in Seattle, there are no customs/immigration lines at the airport to deal with, like there is in Vancouver.

Am still pondering the choice to leave it alone as is, or book the earlier flight now, if Celebrity will allow me to.

SDCruiser

Take the later flight. I have NO idea why people think they can get off a cruise ship and catch a 12:00 flight. Too much hassle and TOO stressful in todays world!!!

It has been all over the news. Security at airports and immigration will be a NIGHTMARE this summer. Our friends just returned from Asia via LA and said they had never seen it this bad. It took them over 3 hours to clear Customs, Immigration, check into their ongoing flights and clear security. They are AA Elites and fly A LOT.

I would recommend you have the rest of your party see about rescheduling their flights. It will definitely be cheaper now (even if they have to pay a change fee) than to miss the flight and pay the change fee and the difference in air fare.

And yes, you have to clear immigration and customs coming into Seattle. You have been in a foreign country (Canada) and international waters.

You won't have to clear customs and immigration at the airport, but you will have to clear it on the ship or disembarking from the ship. Also, the ship is not cleared for disembarkation until every passenger goes through customs and immigration, and bills are settled. A few rude passengers that do not think they should follow the procedures and times can cause everyone to stay onboard a lot longer than necessary.

Also, there was an article in the newspapers about reducing the number of TSA screeners in various airports across the country. And some airports only have only one or two screening sites for all the passengers so waits can be very long. The Wall Street Journal had an article about this not too long ago.

I would never fly home the same day unless I absolutely have to. If I would have to, I would take as late a flight as possible so that I would miss the crowd at the airport.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Traffic on the freeways here can be HORRIBLE, *especially* on Fridays (Mercury's arrival/depart day this summer), and the 11:45 flight really would be pushing it. Maybe if you're lucky you get off at 8:30, bus might take half an hour to load, might take up to an hour to get to Sea-Tac, let's say at least 15 minutes to unload everybody and their stuff, then you have to wander through the airport and check in, you're cutting it close already. Except for last summer when we drove to Vancouver for the Infinity/AK cruise, we prefer to plan a late-afternoon flight home, and have several hours to unwind in the port city ... get a rent-a-car, drive around, see the sights, then drop it off at the airport. Good luck however it works out ... tomorrow the season's second batch of Mercury/Seattle passengers will get off the ship, and maybe you can post a question here about how soon they really started letting folks disembark.

TR

Millennium 12/12/04

Mercury 4/04, Infinity 8/03, Century 3/03 & 9/02

When you phoned Celebrity, you DID NOT talk to CSR but to the Custom Air dept. I agree that flights should not be before noon. I'd sooner get a meal & relax then rush thru screening & getting to the gate.

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

Although it is one of the most beautiful airports, Seattle is the slowest through security I've ever seen. I arrived two hours early and nearly missed my flight.

If you have more time in the airport, you could enjoy the floor art and the shops.

You could treat the flight home as part of the vacation.

BBA

Archived