Caribbean excursion questions...

Sayyadina

Hi, I was hoping someone, anyone could give me some information on the following:

The kayaking excursions at HMC, St. Thomas, and St. Kitts

The submarine trips at St. Thomas and Bridgetown

Any information would be appreciated, this will be my husband and my first cruise. I’m interested in the kayak trips, he’s interested in the subs.

Thanks!

Have you looked up the ports of call Boards on the discussion boards at CC? I would answer your questions but I have not been to these ports. Just an FYI.

Have a great 5th anniversary!!!!I ate dinner with a couple celebrating their 50th at Christmas....

LHC

I can fill you in on the Kayak trip on HMC.

We got priority tendering as we took the early excursion. We took the "trolly" (A small flatbed truck with benches and a canopy) to the water sports area. This is where the kayaking, jet ski and fishing / boat ride excursions depart. We donned floatation vests and then picked out kayaks. We chose a 2 person kayak.

(Here comes a cautionary note....If neither of you are experienced in kayaking and / or if you do not work well together instinctivly get your own kayak! We were unable to propel ourselves in a consistant manner and ended up first yelling at each other (as we began drifting out to sea), and then another couple (on individual kayaks) started laughing as it sounded like a replay of their first kayak trip. The good news is the guide was great and stayed with us and helped us get back with the group.)

The trip began by paddleing across the lagoon and then going along the far shore. We saw wild birds nesting in the mangroves, many different fish, an octopus and several huge starfish. The guide stopped and scooped up some starfish and passed them around for all to see.

We then went out into the ocean and paddled around in the surf. (This is the point we started drifing out to sea. We thought we would end up riding the gulf stream home in a kayak!). After around 15 min in the surf we went back through the cut in the reef and into the lagoon. We paddled across the lagoon again, past the pen for the stingray swim excursion, and back to the dock.

It was beautiful scenery, a great, informative and safe guide. I would highly reccomend this. Just get your own kayak!

Day6013smer.JPG.0b04bb7f0cb995d67a40f55a3fd90882.JPG

What a great picture! That trip sounds nice, also nice perk you get priority tendering. Good tip about individual kayaks, I think we'll definitely do that. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

If you didn't already, check out the link to our photos from the cruise at the bottom of the signature. We were at HMC with the Maasdam so there are a few pics of her anchored next to the Westerdam off HMC.

Archived