Experience of car rental in Apia Western Samoa or Pago Pago American Samoa?

debsjc

We are interested in car rental in one, or both of these ports. Would love to hear from anyone with experience. or who knows the islands. 

If anyone could recommend car rental companies, or has information about the roads or what is best to see that would be really appreciated. 

I've not driven in American Samoa but in Samoa (Apia) is an excellent place to rent a car.  We have done this twice - once when we stayed two weeks at Aggie Grey's and Coconuts and once when we were there just for a day on a  cruise.  The island is, I think, too big to drive completely around if you only have a day but there is a short loop that takes you through some gorgeous scenery, a remote cross island road, some fascinating villages and the spectacular beaches on the south coast.  You can also time your visit to Valima (RLS's home) to avoid the crowds, though climbing up to his grave is quite a long and muddy slog.  

Edited by Fletcher

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, Fletcher said:

I've not driven in American Samoa but in Samoa (Apia) is an excellent place to rent a car.  We have done this twice - once when we stayed two weeks at Aggie Grey's and Coconuts and once when we were there just for a day on a  cruise.  The island is, I think, too big to drive completely around if you only have a day but there is a short loop that takes you through some gorgeous scenery, a remote cross island road, some fascinating villages and the spectacular beaches on the south coast.  You can also time your visit to Valima (RLS's home) to avoid the crowds, though climbing up to his grave is quite a long and muddy slog.  

Thanks very much for your advice Fletcher, that sounds great. We especially love beautiful scenery. Could you recommend any beaches on the south coast, that are not as far along as Lamomanu, a slightly shorter drive.

Debsjc - There's no doubting that the best beaches on Upolu are along the SE coast.  You could just drive along there towards Lamomanu and go back but I think you would have time for that half-loop from Apia.  Otherwise, the area around Coconuts and Sinalei resorts have beaches and more facilities.   They might give you a day-pass. 

• Like 1