Gratuities with Drink Package

herb13herb

Hi Everyone,

I am going on my very first cruise in May 2021 to Bermuda on NCL Joy. Because I booked with promos, I have a drink package. Since the package includes drinks up to $15, how does gratuity factor into that? For example, if I get, say, a $10 drink, would the gratuity also be covered by the $15 credit, or would I just tip extra? I want to make sure I am prepared when I get my first drink on board for sail away! Thanks in advance!

You paid for the gratuities when you bought your cruise. There was about $20pppd added to the price - the line say something like bev service charge.

The $15 limit is just on the price for the drink as you already paid gratuities as mentioned above. Some people tip extra to a bartender they like or if it's a waiter getting their drink or if they think it gets them better service, but is not required. 

My advice is bring some singles. People complain about poolside service but start tipping a buck per drink and you’ll have pool waiters consistently wanting to get you a drink instead of having to look for a waiter. On my last cruise I had a pool server bringing me buckets of beers hidden under a towel  ..... for a few measly singles that he greatly appreciated ..... of course all of this is up to you but not necessary. 

2 minutes ago, herb13herb said:

Perfect, thanks. I figured the pre-paid gratuities covered the room steward, but wasn't sure if it also went to bartenders. Thank you!

Well, those are two different types of gratuities. You have the option to pre-pay gratuities before the cruise or they can apply the gratuities to your on-board account and you pay later. That covers the room steward and other "included" services.

The gratuities for the drink package can only be paid up front (as far as I know) and that covers the tips to the bartender. You can tip extra but you already tipped 20% which is a generous amount.

I do like the idea of strategically doling out dollars to those who bring you drinks while seated. It's worth a buck to me to not have to get up and go find the bar.