Cruise Ships for Children survey...

mennisdiller

My father is celebrating his 70th this year and we are trying to get a group together for either the Caribbean or Alaska.

We will be traveling with twin 5 year olds and a 7 year old.

In your opinion, what Ships would you recommend? Not the line itself, but the Ship. Also...Is there enough to do in Alaska for children this age?

I'm trying to find adjoining rooms if possible.

Thank you so much in advance.

Do you want adjoining rooms or connecting rooms? There's a difference. Adjoining rooms are just rooms that are next door to each other and connecting rooms are those which have a door in between which you can open and access each room without going into the hallway.

There really isn't any reason to give you specific ships as many seem to be redeployed at one time or another, but I would suggest any Royal Caribbean ship that sails Alaska. They are the best multi-generational ships and have great kid's programs.

I would do Carnival Spirit to Alaska. I have been on the Spirit once before and we are going again in 2 weeks. I love the ship and it does have adjoining rooms (door on the inside that connects the rooms). We love the ship and the kids love the Camp.

For Alaska, I would look at RCI's Radiance class ships. They have great kids programs, connecting staterooms available (plus there are family staterooms as well that accommodate more than 4 people), there are plenty of activities for adults, and they have tons of glass for outside viewing.

For the Caribbean, I would look at RCI's Voyager class, especially Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure which have Adventure Beach instead of the expanded teen area, or look at the new Freedom. These ships have tons of activities for all ages, including ice skating, roller blading, mini golf, rock climbing. These ships have plenty of connecting staterooms as well, plus different sizes of family staterooms.

One thing to consider with Alaska is whether you want to do the one-way or the round-trip. Two years ago we did the RT out of Seattle on the Sapphire Princess and my daughter had a great time, staying on the ship (she didn't have much interest in Alaska).

Advantage to the RT: cheaper airfare to the departure city

advantage to the one-way: you can do a cruisetour before or after the cruise if you want

Once you figured this out, then you narrowed down the ships to consider.

I took the Regent Sea many moons ago from Seward to Vancouver. The travel day to Seward was hell. So I would probably do a Seattle or Vancouver round tripper. It's just that we've never travelled with kids before and so finding the right trip for them is key.

Do people use the pools on these Alaska trips?

We did a family group cruise two summers ago to Alaska, Vancouver to Whittier on the Coral Princess with a couple extra days land tour up to Denali. My nieces were 7 and 9 at the time and they loved it! Their only complaint was how many pictures their Dad took of the glaciers! It was pretty entertaining watching the parents try to get the kids interested in the glaciers, most of them could handle one then they were bored and wanted to go play. It was pretty warm when we were up there and both the covered and outdoor pool were used heavily. Remember to dress in layers since you just never know about the weather.

We did a family group cruise two summers ago to Alaska, Vancouver to Whittier on the Coral Princess with a couple extra days land tour up to Denali. My nieces were 7 and 9 at the time and they loved it! Their only complaint was how many pictures their Dad took of the glaciers! It was pretty entertaining watching the parents try to get the kids interested in the glaciers, most of them could handle one then they were bored and wanted to go play. It was pretty warm when we were up there and both the covered and outdoor pool were used heavily. Remember to dress in layers since you just never know about the weather.

I'm booked for Coral Princess 7/17/06 for Alaska cruisetour...Taking my 5 year-old, and her cousin (who will be 8 at that time) Curious about on-ship kids programs. I noticed the age groups are 3-7 and then 8+.....do you know if they would allow flexibility with those ages (would like the two cousins to remain together when in the kids club.)?

If you are leaning towards the Carribbean...go Disney. The Disney Magic is absolutely AMAZING. Beautiful. Clean. Safe. Talk about feeling catered to, served and pampered. Adults and kids alike, we all had a great time on the Disney Magic. The ship is new, it has split bathrooms- can you say TWO toilets in each stateroom? That was worth the extra money if nothing else was!

We've booked an RCI cruise for next week last minute, and I'm hoping for the best, but I'm afraid we'll be missing the Magic!

(PS, I'm not a Mickey fan, nor do I ever need to go to Disney World again...but I will cruise on that ship every year!!)

on all ships, they have a special place for the kids. The cruise line is fastidious in regards to "family cruising" so no matter what the kids will be occupied. As for excursions? What young kid likes to do what the parents do? My son told me when i take him on his "honor role" cruise, to go without him. He doesn't wish to look at jewelry or stupid rocks that look like lava. (grand cayman)

Which ever ship your take, I can guarantee your children, and your sisters, will have the time of their life!

finding the connecting cabins would be the hardest thing! ;) MHO

Archived