EU tax on dining package

JohnChiang

Got off the Epic Western Mediterranean cruise yesterday. Wanted to let everyone know about a charge that I had never seen or heard of before.

I had a balcony cabin with all 4 perks. Friends booked a sail-away mini suite with no perks, so they pre-paid for the 3 meal specialty dining package. Early in the cruise my friends noticed 2 $9.90 charges labeled "Food and Beverage Packages" on their TV account review. When we inquired about it at guest services, we were told that this was a 10% EU tax on the dining package, and was added even if it was paid for months before in the US. Our cabin with the dining package as a perk was not charged this. I found this kind of strange as I've never seen it mentioned on this board before.

We had a very nice cruise, and the one negative was getting into Livorno 4 hours late because of winds. The Epic was just too huge to safely dock with the winds, while other smaller cruise ships were able to. All the Norwegian shore excursions for the Livorno port were cancelled, and I feel sorry for those that booked them, as this was a once in a lifetime trip for many. Luckily we had booked a third party tour for Florence and Pisa. The port time in Livorno was extended, by 2 hours. Our tour driver had waited for us and our Florence and Pisa experience was only slightly shortened.

I also wanted to mention that I had a problem getting my large suitcase delivered on the first day. When I still didn't get my bag by 11PM, I went to inquire about it. I found that my suitcase was in the naughty room. The x-ray machine thought that there was an prohibited iron in there. When I told them that it was my CPAP machine, they gave me my bag.

I understood it was on purchases onboard and did not apply to pre purchased packages.

I had a feeling it was only in Spanish (and possible Italian) waters, was that the case?

Edited by ziggyuk

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I understood it was on purchases onboard and did not apply to pre purchased packages.

I had a feeling it was only in Spanish (and possible Italian) waters, was that the case?

The Epic sailed out of Barcelona. The specialty dining package was purchased 2 months in advance on NCL's website in the United States with US dollars. This is why I thought this tax was strange. Has anyone else experienced this charge?