Venice - Getting From Hotel To Ship

Nikkibird

How are people staying in Venice a few days pre-cruise getting to the ship on embarkment day and at what time can you board? We are staying at the Hotel Marconi - right on the Grand Canal beside the Rialto bridge. It looks like the vaporette stop is near the ship dock but it looks like it could be a 10 minute walk with luggage. Is this so or is there an easier way of reaching the ship? Thanks for any info you can give,

Michele

We did this cruise a couple years ago and our hotel was also on the canal. We arranged with the concierge for a boat to pick us up at the hotel dock and take us directly to the ship. There were 3 of us and luggage and it was almost $100 with tip. Not cheap but that is the only way they could recommend we get there...:(

Is there any way to take the Princess transfer byr staying at one of their pre hotel packages? In this case it would be well worth it. I saw people schleping luggage all over the place when I was there. I ended my cruise in Venice. Princess took my luggage ahead and it was at the airport waiting for me.

I am sure someone has conquered this somehow without spending a furtune.

How are people staying in Venice a few days pre-cruise getting to the ship on embarkment day and at what time can you board? We are staying at the Hotel Marconi - right on the Grand Canal beside the Rialto bridge. It looks like the vaporette stop is near the ship dock but it looks like it could be a 10 minute walk with luggage. Is this so or is there an easier way of reaching the ship? Thanks for any info you can give,

Michele

Do not walk, from Rialto Bridge, it will be all cobblestone paths with many many, many bridges and stairs. Much longer than 10 minutes without luggage a nightmare with luggage.

Without a lot of luggage, the Vaparetto is a possibility, but they can be crowded.

Michele

It is more like a 30-40 minute walk without luggage. Don't forget some of those are narrow streets / walkways, plus there are points you have to go up and over bridges over the canals. I am not sure there is a direct straight path to the ship (have to navigate around the trains and roads coming into the island and port)

My choice would be the vaporette with minimial amount of luggage (one large / one small ea) but with a couple of large suitcases each I would spring for the water taxi to take you right to the ship.

I agree with the above posters, the best way for me would be to bite the bullet and pay for a water taxi. Yea, it's expensive, but it sure beats having to schlep luggage up and over bridges and cobbblestone streets. And from what I've heard, the vaporettos really don't like you getting on with luggage, especially if you have more than one. Anyway, I'm planning on the water taxi route. Quick and easy, even if it is pricy, well worth it .

Definately take the water taxi as it will be less stressful as well as a highlight of your time in Venice. When we vacationed in Venice last July we used the (crowded) vaporette en route to the train station and experienced no problems because we only had one carry-on bag each. We did see people struggling with larger suitcases and it was not something I would have wanted to do. On the other hand, the water taxi is like a fast gondola ride...easy transportation and very-Venice. Do keep in mind that a water taxi may charge extra per bag.

you can take vap. to rivoli (Last stop after train station). always lots of people with luggage on this route. From there it's 10 minute walk over bridge to pier. there are regular auto taxis at rivoli that'll take you to pier for lot less than water taxi-2 minute ride give him 20 euros and you're there. save money for venice.

In 2004 we did the Venice to Rome Mediterranean cruise. We opted to purchase the Princess Transfers prior to the cruise. I don't remember the exact cost and while it was probably not cheap, it was worth every penny.

Princess had a private car to take us from the airport to the Piazza Roma where we boarded a private water taxi to the hotel. On embarkation day Princess had a water taxi pick us and one other couple that was staying at the hotel up for the trip to the cruise terminal.

It was absolutely hassle free.......well, except for the usual pain of standing in the long lines at the cruise terminal waiting to board the ship.

I first started reading this thread because the transportation from the airport to the hotel (in our case) seemed to be a difficult situation due to the luggage issue. Your comments have been very helpful in understanding how we can get it done. We just need to find a convenient way of getting from the airport to the water taxi.

Another question, somewhat unrelated, is that of purchasing alcohol on the ship. We think you can still pre-order such things as Scotch and Soda or Vodka and Tonic packages and these will be delivered to your cabin after the ship sails. Can you still purchase bottles of liquor from the bar? I'm not talking about the duty free store on the ship which you receive upon disembarkation, but buying from the bar or room service?

I hate to even think of "smuggling" hootch aboard or even carrying it all the way from the States to Italy. Here's hoping that someone reading this has had some experience on a Princess Med cruise.

They will arrange your water taxi to take you to the pier. More than likely there will be others at your hotel who are also going to the ship and will share the cost of the taxi with you. Ask others on your roll call thread if anyone is staying at your hotel and might want to share the taxi. The cost is around 85 euro per boat. Our boat accomodated 3 couples with lots of luggage easily.

It seems hectic now but it will all fall into place.

Grego, as of my last cruise (Sept-Oct) you could still have bottles of liquor delivered to your room by calling room service. The price is very reasonable and the longest wait I ever experienced was about 15 minutes....generally it arrived in about 5 minutes. I have never tried going to a bar and buying a bottle from the bartender.

Archived